Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

The talk about him not wanting to risk upsetting his teammates if he goes down again is hopefully not part of the actual reason he’s been told he’s not playing.
Who said he's not playing? I haven't seen that statement anywhere.

From what's been said by all at Richmond, Rance decided not to keep pushing to get the green light. He wasn't given a green light or a red light. He could have kept going with rehab up until the last minute hoping to get the green light to play again.

But he decided that the risk to the team of him coming back and doing it again wasn't worth it. The distraction of will he or wont he wasn't what he, and the club, wanted coming into the finals.

No reason not to believe the club at this point.

The people who know about ACL rehab say that it takes close to a year for the tendon to achieve full strength again - the period from 5-12 months is actually dangerous as it feels sound but the tendon is not strong. So he was always at elevated risk if he was to play this year after 5 months. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

Correct, the 5 month period is a very important period as this is where the tendon may feel good but has not healed to a level required for high intensity activities. It will continually strengthen until there is a point that it is strong enough to more likely sustain that higher intensity, therefore lower risk (of course risk never goes away completely). Rance was never going to play but it sure created a media and PRE storm of discussion.

He’ll be at risk for the duration of next year either way. He could do his knee in Round 3, Round 12, or the first final in 2020, because it takes at least 24 months for the knee to fully heal. Return dates have been cut down to under 12 months, and it’s still dropping as rehab improves. In some cases, there is no elevated risk by returning 6 vs 12 months.

I don't know where you get your information from but there is certainly much greater risk returning at 6 months opposed to 12 months. Read this to enlighten:

Look where it is at its weakest point. Around the 4-6 month mark. This is physiology, there's no getting around this healing process no matter who you are.

He’ll be at risk for the duration of next year either way. He could do his knee in Round 3, Round 12, or the first final in 2020, because it takes at least 24 months for the knee to fully heal. Return dates have been cut down to under 12 months, and it’s still dropping as rehab improves. In some cases, there is no elevated risk by returning 6 vs 12 months.

The hope was Rance’s individual rehab produced enough data to confidently say there’s no benefit to holding him back.

The talk about him not wanting to risk upsetting his teammates if he goes down again is hopefully not part of the actual reason he’s been told he’s not playing.

Touch wood, but we could lose the Grand Final by a kick and then Rance reinjures himself in Round 3. How would the team feel then?

I can't speak for the the team, but like most pragmatic people I reckon they would understand that you make best decision you possibly can given the information you have, and should things not work out you don't agonize over what might have happened, if things had somehow been different. Rance has made his decision in any case.

We are Richmond, if we are in the GF the responsibility lies with those who run onto the ground to do the job. They've done it all year, I trust them to keep doing it. Panicking and rushing back an underdone champion because we are worried about maybe losing the game by a kick would be a weak mentality to go in with.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know where you get your information from but there is certainly much greater risk returning at 6 months opposed to 12 months. Read this to enlighten:

Look where it is at its weakest point. Around the 4-6 month mark. This is physiology, there's no getting around this healing process no matter who you are.

I get my information from Pubmed, Scopus, Web of Science, etc.

A lot of doctors on here. Ill take the club and Rancey at their word.

Reactions: 1 user
How good is the man? Goes down and two players step up to AA to fill the hole and AFLplayer ratings puts Vlas above both of them.

If Bigfooty offered us a swap of next years supplementary rookies you’d be gone zip.

Reactions: 3 users
If Gold Coast offered us pick 2
Would u take it?
I would, i would throw in Short in too.
Rance was ordinary in the second half of 2018, never recovered his mojo after the Sydney game where he was reported for staging and penalised repeatedly for walking Duddy under the ball. I would probably take pick 2 for him, but I don't have a soul. Suspect it's not even a hypothetical.

Rance was ordinary in the second half of 2018, never recovered his mojo after the Sydney game where he was reported for staging and penalised repeatedly for walking Duddy under the ball. I would probably take pick 2 for him, but I don't have a soul. Suspect it's not even a hypothetical.

Greatest ever defender of the RFC and possibly in the conversation for best 5 defenders ever. Please don’t buy into Zips rubbish. You’re better than that

Reactions: 5 users
Having this season off due to injury, will come back to his best form next year. Personally, I can't wait.

Reactions: 2 users
You just don't even consider trading a player like Rance, he is amongst the top of the elite defenders ever, very few at that level. Grimes has been brilliant and it is a testament to the club that we have done well without Rance, but Rance makes a huge difference because he is so good. Players like Rance only come around occasionally, you hold on to them.

Will be brilliant to have him back in 2020.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
You just don't even consider trading a player like Rance, he is amongst the top of the elite defenders ever, very few at that level. Grimes has been brilliant and it is a testament to the club that we have done well without Rance, but Rance makes a huge difference because he is so good. Players like Rance only come around occasionally, you hold on to them.

Will be brilliant to have him back in 2020.

DS

There's just no way Rance would ever play anywhere but Richmond. If he wasn't at Punt Rd, he would be selling Jesus in Africa

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
If Gold Coast offered us pick 2
Would u take it?
I would, i would throw in Short in too.
Gold Coast couldn’t offer a snag at a Bunnings barbie. 7600 ( I call BS) at a home game where seats cost $19 and the weather was perfect for football. I could have felled a redwood in any section and met O H and S.
No player of any worth would consider going to that morgue.

Demetriou rides into the Goldy The Valkyries blaring, AFL logo glinting in the sun. “Charlie don’t surf!”, he yells. He rains pineapples on Carrara.
10 years on Charlie surfs. Charlie listens to the Stones. Charlie wears Nike. But Charlie doesn’t do the Suns.
Charlie pops his head out of one of a million tunnels. “Carrara?”, asks Charlie. “Never heard of it”.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users