Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Extremely impressed with the professional way that Alex & the club has handled this difficult decision.
Nipping it in the bud 3 weeks out from our finals campaign is just so smart. It's now a non issue.
We are such an incredibly well run club these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
With Alex out our Tigers on the paddock each week will have the desire not to let Alex down & come last Saturday in December at The G ' say we did it for you Alex ".

Extremely impressed with the professional way the Alex & the club has handled this difficult decision.
Nipping it in the bud 3 weeks out from our finals campaign is just so smart. It's now a non issue.
We are such an incredibly well run club these days.

The real pleasing thing is that it would have been as much Rance wanting to put it to bed as the club.

Do it for Rancey boys! He has shown selflessness for the sake of the team. Time to repay his commitment!

Great work all round. Sound decision.

Looks like it it’s KMac to play down back against WC then.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Sensible decision finally been reached. My guess is when Dr Feller/Fellar was asked whether he'd stake his reputation on Rance coming back and not re-injuring it, he said "See you in 2020, Alex".

Rance took the mature approach and put the team above his dreams. Another ripping result from him.

Wise decision I think. Knee injuries take time. I wouldn't want to risk a player like Rance.

Although we have managed without Rance, he is the sort of player who is irreplaceable, will be great when he returns and our back line will be stronger for the experience of playing without him.

DS

So Alex says this in the lead up to this weeks game against Carlscum, which is the team he played against to injure his ACL.

Ironic????

The club has done so well without our champion at full back, if we do end up making the GF and winning, there will be a giant hole made by his absence.

I can still remember him intercepting and killing Adelaides forward thrusts in the 2nd qtr of the GF, just in front of where i was sitting.
We were in raptures as he just let nothing past him.

I was so happy.

Now I am so sad.

:(

Been hoping all year he'd make it back, but am kinda relieved. The desperation that he plays with, the knee would undoubtedly be fully stressed. If any player is likely to break down coming back too early, it's Rance.

Plus, it'd be testing the footy gods to ask for the luck needed to win a flag and Rance getting through unscathed.

Reactions: 2 users
So maturely handled.

Love this club.

Come back as the Sir Alex we know next year Champ!

Reactions: 5 users
Really relieved to say the least.

Come back next year.
A ready made recruit.

All round well handled by the Alex and the club.

Selfless act by The Rancid One!
Putting the club first.
Love this new Richmond.

Proves what a damn fine young man is Rancey .... selfless.
The culture at Tigerland is a ripper.
Should motivate his mates to greater efforts.

Reactions: 1 users
Rancey will be like a new recruit, but

Ross lyon has not won how many premiership being risk averse?

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately it sounds like he’s been told they can’t be sure the level of risk of returning now is similar to the level of risk of returning in Round 1.

This indicates one of two things:

1. His data suggested he’d be at a higher risk of reinjury by returning now

2. They couldn’t work out the odds, so due to uncertainty, they correctly deferred to the most cautious action.

I’d only be disappointed about this if the surgeon said he’s at no elevated risk now compared to Round 1 and the club overruled on emotional gounds, but I doubt that would be the case.

I guess now I hope we win the flag and the group is driven to back it up in 2020 with Alex back in.

And if that happens, I am certain Rance will not be sulking like Gaff did when the Eagles won.

The people who know about ACL rehab say that it takes close to a year for the tendon to achieve full strength again - the period from 5-12 months is actually dangerous as it feels sound but the tendon is not strong. So he was always at elevated risk if he was to play this year after 5 months. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

Heard on a podcast (I think the Age footy podcast) that the record of AFL/VFL players who have came back early is terrible - Dale Morris the most recent example. Liberatore Senior got away with it, coming back in 4-5 months and one other that I can't remember. The Ox was another who famously did it again when coming back early - after a rehab of three months! There are others no doubt.

LARS allows you to come back faster but there are other problems and high risk of reinjury even with LARS.

So high risk of a reoccurance, lack of match time in 2019, risk of being a player down in a final all played their part I'm sure.

Dale Morris is not a good analogy and typicallly football pundits bring up as being relevant to Rancey when it is irrelevant.

Morris has had two partial tears in both knees last year and this and did not get a knee reconstruction for either. Effectively no new ligament. Really a hail Mary for Dale if you looked at the amount of strapping he had on that knee.

Morris case is probably more similar to Jack even though Jack's is a PCL. Should Jack pack it in for a year? For the record I think Dale's non reconstructed knee from 2018 is still relatively OK.

Anyway best of luck to Rancey but no guarantee that he is hunky dory rd 1. Dunn a recent examples of taking your 9 -12 months and the knee still gives way.

The people who know about ACL rehab say that it takes close to a year for the tendon to achieve full strength again - the period from 5-12 months is actually dangerous as it feels sound but the tendon is not strong. So he was always at elevated risk if he was to play this year after 5 months. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

Heard on a podcast (I think the Age footy podcast) that the record of AFL/VFL players who have came back early is terrible - Dale Morris the most recent example. Liberatore Senior got away with it, coming back in 4-5 months and one other that I can't remember. The Ox was another who famously did it again when coming back early - after a rehab of three months! There are others no doubt.

LARS allows you to come back faster but there are other problems and high risk of reinjury even with LARS.

So high risk of a reoccurance, lack of match time in 2019, risk of being a player down in a final all played their part I'm sure.

He’ll be at risk for the duration of next year either way. He could do his knee in Round 3, Round 12, or the first final in 2020, because it takes at least 24 months for the knee to fully heal. Return dates have been cut down to under 12 months, and it’s still dropping as rehab improves. In some cases, there is no elevated risk by returning 6 vs 12 months.

The hope was Rance’s individual rehab produced enough data to confidently say there’s no benefit to holding him back.

The talk about him not wanting to risk upsetting his teammates if he goes down again is hopefully not part of the actual reason he’s been told he’s not playing.

Touch wood, but we could lose the Grand Final by a kick and then Rance reinjures himself in Round 3. How would the team feel then?