Alex Rance

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I was more thinking of the tall blonde bloke who turned up at the Mad Monday celebrations in the red flanny. But, that guy looks knowledgeable too...

Tigers of Old

Twitter: @Tigers_of_Old
Jul 26, 2004
Coming back off a serious knee injury at 30 years of age (into an established Premiership backline) won't be easy, even for Alex Rance.
Fingers crossed for our superstar but there's no guarantees he'll get back to the lofty heights we have seen in previous years.
He has relied on extreme athleticism for much of his career. Just hope his forced time out hasn't reduced his physical abilities.
I'm tapering expectations upon his return.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Coming back off a serious knee injury at 30 years of age (into an established Premiership backline) won't be easy, even for Alex Rance.
Fingers crossed for our superstar but there's no guarantees he'll get back to the lofty heights we have seen in previous years.
He has relied on extreme athleticism for much of his career. Just hope his forced time out hasn't reduced his physical abilities.
I'm tapering expectations upon his return.
Considering that all our back half stepped up a notch in his absence Tross simply needs to be a good player for us instead of a super star n he'll still fit in nicely rather than carrying or over shadowing the rest. Most importantly, everyone, and I do mean everyone knows that when he retires, we'll hardly miss him onfield n things will just keep rolling along as per normal.

Reactions: 1 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Considering that all our back half stepped up a notch in his absence Tross simply needs to be a good player for us instead of a super star n he'll still fit in nicely rather than carrying or over shadowing the rest. Most importantly, everyone, and I do mean everyone knows that when he retires, we'll hardly miss him onfield n things will just keep rolling along as per normal.
I had thought the same thing , Grimes has possibly gone past rance now , in terms of being at the peak of his powers ,

And I think that May be perfect timing for rance , maybe he can take on a lesser role now and the team doesn’t suffer from it .

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
maybe he can take on a lesser role now and the team doesn’t suffer from it .
Got a feeling that's the biggest advantage that we have at the moment.
Our list is so well balanced and there are so many bloody good role players in the team, that we barely notice if a player drops out injured or has a bad game or two. There's virtually always another player or two who steps up a little bit n picks up an extra bit of the load no matter what the circumstances during a game or even during the season for that matter. Just seems to be coverage over and over again no matter what happens during the year.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I had thought the same thing , Grimes has possibly gone past rance now , in terms of being at the peak of his powers ,

And I think that May be perfect timing for rance , maybe he can take on a lesser role now and the team doesn’t suffer from it .
Grimes has elevated himself this year, had to, now is elite. Rance was in his corner all this year helping him out.

UKTiger

Tiger Champion
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Come the 2020 season what position will Alex play? The 2019 premier backs have it all covered and work as one. I am not saying that Alex is not our all time best defender but he is going to have to work very hard to slot back into out invincibles. That said I can't wait to see him in Y & B again

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We wont be forced next year to always have him in the backline.
Try him in the middle at times as a true ruck rover
Push him onto the wing to play a blivas type roll.
We dont have to watch him get slapped by anyone taller then him hopefully ever again.
Im not as excited as others of his return.
When i hear 'rance' i get flash backs of Cox & Degoey putting him to sleep in the preliminary final.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Perhaps he replaces Broady (who would be stiff), to play as the third tall. Has the same attributes with better skills and one-on-one contests. Astbury gets the monster and Grimesy remains Grimesy.

Spoilt for choice.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
We wont be forced next year to always have him in the backline.
Try him in the middle at times as a true ruck rover
Push him onto the wing to play a blivas type roll.
We dont have to watch him get slapped by anyone taller then him hopefully ever again.
Im not as excited as others of his return.
When i hear 'rance' i get flash backs of Cox & Degoey putting him to sleep in the preliminary final.
He killed Cox as soon as he was moved on to him.
Degoey beat him early, but whaddya gonna do? Degoey is an Elite one on one player. So's Rance, but one of them has to win out. It was DeGoey's night.

That whole game was a coaching/match up/selection disaster.

Martin couldn't move and shouldn't have played. Astbury shouldn't have played at all, and Rance should have been on Cox from the beginning. Grimes was the clear and obvious choice for DeGoey from the beginning, but the coaches made a call, and it backfired.

The coaches went for the ring around the rosy with the backline in the second half and we got on top, just way too late.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Come the 2020 season what position will Alex play? The 2019 premier backs have it all covered and work as one. I am not saying that Alex is not our all time best defender but he is going to have to work very hard to slot back into out invincibles. That said I can't wait to see him in Y & B again
I'm thinking he gets moved to the 'Houli /Short position', running out of the backline.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Somewhere in the backline will suit Rance! Makes no differences to the exact position, haven't you guys learned, it's not the position but the role one must play for the team. I hope we win two more premiership in the next four years.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
lol at bringing Rance and Stack into the best and reigning premiership defence.