Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Rance is going to be a very welcome addition in 2020.
Grimes can play Rance's role as good, if not better than Rance himself, that can only be a good thing.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You can imagine Leppa thinking he's in heaven with Rance coming back and Grimes there as the new Rance.

Hate to think of what setups and game plans he has in store for teams when you have the best and second best defender in the AFL to play with.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hate to think of what setups and game plans he has in store for teams when you have the best and second best defender in the AFL to play with.

Who do you rate as the best?
I've Grimes as our best defender now.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Who do you rate as the best?
I've Grimes as our best defender now.

I have Grimes as well but I think that's doing a disservice to Rance. We've watched Grimes grow into the new Rance throughout the year and we've all been in awe. Recency means Grimes is better. But, Rance did things Grimes hasn't yet.

Remember the 80m sprint from the backline into the forward half just to spoil a mark Rance pulled off??

Actually thinking about it, they are probably equals at the moment, the only difference is Rance has X-factor that Grimes doesn't.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I have Grimes as well but I think that's doing a disservice to Rance. We've watched Grimes grow into the new Rance throughout the year and we've all been in awe. Recency means Grimes is better. But, Rance did things Grimes hasn't yet.

Remember the 80m sprint from the backline into the forward half just to spoil a mark Rance pulled off??

Actually thinking about it, they are probably equals at the moment, the only difference is Rance has X-factor that Grimes doesn't.
Multi-skill is a good thing.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

It's an interesting debate.
Grimes played Rance's role at a level that was close to, or equal to what Rance had been playing it.
Grimes ability to play on the smalls, puts him a whisker ahead of Rance imo.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Grimes was the best defender in the comp this year.

Rance is the best defender I have ever seen.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Come back of the year
Little trumpet
Rance got smashed get over it.
Destroyed.
Humiliated

I am over it. Yes he was beaten, doesn't happen often. Most of our players lowered their colours that night.

Rance is universally lauded as the best defender of the modern era. Does that make him immune to criticism - no. Should he be judged on 1 game - no.

Yes there are question marks over him being as good as he was with the injury at his age and coming back after a long lay off. But the language you use is generally extreme & obnoxious - most probably deliberately so. Anything you post that is worth reading is mostly lost in the sea of garbage.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Grimes was the best defender in the comp this year.

Rance is the best defender I have ever seen.

I'd agree with that. Over a long career Rance has been pure genius. Now at 30 years old I don't expect him to come back to his absolute best but I doubt there's a team out there that wouldn't have him in their starting lineup.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I can't believe anyone is asking where Rance fits in when he returns.

He fits in wherever the f*** he wants, and the rest fit in somewhere around that. With Grimes at a whole new level, we might be seeing the Tigers dragging the average AFL score down to new record lows. Won't Gillan Mc Clueless be impressed!

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It's an interesting debate.
Grimes played Rance's role at a level that was close to, or equal to what Rance had been playing it.
Grimes ability to play on the smalls, puts him a whisker ahead of Rance imo.

Rance has the runs on the board
But if you took a poll today who would be your choice?
I reckon Grimes would win out.
Grimes, Broad and Astbury as pure stoppers.
Big V and Rance as interceptors.
And Short and Houli as runners, off half back.
Not many sides could match that.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Plus the American played one 'out of the wheebix box'.

Seriously, I don't reckon Cox was great, he is 6'11" and was having the ball delivered to him on a platter a long way in the air where no-one else could reach it. Yes, he took advantage of the situation, but a VFL level player that tall could have done the same. He was good, their midfield was great.

Back on topic: Rance and Grimes both in the backline, how is anyone going to score against us :D

DS

• Love

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Seriously, I don't reckon Cox was great, he is 6'11" and was having the ball delivered to him on a platter a long way in the air where no-one else could reach it. Yes, he took advantage of the situation, but a VFL level player that tall could have done the same. He was good, their midfield was great.

DS

Nah disagree, Cox was sensational that game, particularly first half. Grabbed everything that went his way, he had a crazy 8 contested marks, never had that many before and never will again. I'd never seen him play like that. Then I saw him this year when he was dropping simple chest marks, couldn't do anything. That's the Cox I know. He needed a drug test, they must have injected adrenaline, he had super powers that day.

• Wow

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
I'd agree with that. Over a long career Rance has been pure genius. Now at 30 years old I don't expect him to come back to his absolute best but I doubt there's a team out there that wouldn't have him in their starting lineup.

Be very careful using playing age/peak ability “averages” when applying it to Rance.
He is a freak. He was absolutely flying before he decided he’d run out of time this year. In Nankervis’s own words describing Rance during rehab- “ he’s a monster”
He will remind everyone next year that he’s still king of the jungle. Even our own supporters it seems!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Be very careful using playing age/peak ability “averages” when applying it to Rance.
He is a freak. He was absolutely flying before he decided he’d run out of time this year. In Nankervis’s own words describing Rance during rehab- “ he’s a monster”
He will remind everyone next year that he’s still king of the jungle. Even our own supporters it seems!

Do you think he will reach his peak again? I think it's unlikely. Flying on the track is very different to flying on the field. Fact is age catches up with you and he won't be as strong as he was in his mid 20s. He wil also have the psychological aspect of his knee reco to deal with. Lynch perfect example. The unfortunate fact is you slow as you age (speed, reflex et) and the younger ones get quicker relatively. Even the great Harry Taylor, though still very influential started tapering off a little at around 30yo. Rance is still be super important but I think his role may change a little. I'll be happy to just see him get out there, build his confidence and make a substantial impact in 2020.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Do you think he will reach his peak again? I think it's unlikely. Flying on the track is very different to flying on the field. Fact is age catches up with you and he won't be as strong as he was in his mid 20s. He wil also have the psychological aspect of his knee reco to deal with. Lynch perfect example. The unfortunate fact is you slow as you age (speed, reflex et) and the younger ones get quicker relatively. Even the great Harry Taylor, though still very influential started tapering off a little at around 30yo. Rance is still be super important but I think his role may change a little. I'll be happy to just see him get out there, build his confidence and make a substantial impact in 2020.

Same here Tigerlove.
Not expecting anything really substantial in terms of the Rance of 'old'.
But thats ok.
At Richmond ALL our players play their role for the team and as a collective we win most games.

As a supporter i am not placing any pressure but you know Rance may place that upon himself.
Our back 6-7 evolved without him, grew as players and learnt more about themselves as players too(being without the great man). Then there is Stack to slot back in there too.

What a bonus having Rance back.

cedtrains

Tiger Cub
Aug 14, 2005
Same here Tigerlove.
Not expecting anything really substantial in terms of the Rance of 'old'.
But thats ok.
At Richmond ALL our players play their role for the team and as a collective we win most games.

As a supporter i am not placing any pressure but you know Rance may place that upon himself.
Our back 6-7 evolved without him, grew as players and learnt more about themselves as players too(being without the great man). Then there is Stack to slot back in there too.

What a bonus having Rance back.
Just a little out there but could Rance be the new wingman?

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Just a little out there but could Rance be the new wingman?

Ced thats a question i raised some time ago after the season ended.
I have a few on the 'wingman train'.
Get on board.

I reckon he could be a real weapon there.
I think if my memory is correct actually started as one but his courage and fearless attack on the ball got him hurt quite a few times.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I agree, TL, and this year out gave him the ability to do a bit of coaching. I wonder if that’s where his post playing career will go?