Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Do you think he will reach his peak again? I think it's unlikely. Flying on the track is very different to flying on the field. Fact is age catches up with you and he won't be as strong as he was in his mid 20s. He wil also have the psychological aspect of his knee reco to deal with. Lynch perfect example. The unfortunate fact is you slow as you age (speed, reflex et) and the younger ones get quicker relatively. Even the great Harry Taylor, though still very influential started tapering off a little at around 30yo. Rance is still be super important but I think his role may change a little. I'll be happy to just see him get out there, build his confidence and make a substantial impact in 2020.

You're not talking about a normal human T'love, I've been watching him "Flying on the Track" and can tell you he would be the fittest bloke at the club with the work he has put in, (he ain't slowing down). Yeah there will be rust and some initial trust issues with his knee to worry about but that will quickly pass. Baring re-doing his knee i back Rancey to get back to his best.
You mention Lynch as a perfect example, Lynch played all 25 games, without him we don't make finals, let alone GF, (Lynch was dominating year end when it counted), I'll happily take that example and apply it to Rance :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Just a little out there but could Rance be the new wingman?

Crazy talk o_O , as crazy as when Dimma started Rance as a mid, that lasted all of 10 minutes! Best defender of the decade, maybe ever?, your question should be who makes way for him in defense, i'll go in Rance out Broad.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Rancey will lose a yard after a knee reco at 30.

that will affect his closing/intercept game.

I reckon he will need to be re-cast in a new role.

Grimes keep doing Rance.

maybe Rance becomes Dave? or yeah Broady?

The only thing Im certain of is he wont be on a wing.

However it plays, I will be truly astonished if we havnt seen Rancelot's best.

An 80% Rance will still be AA though I reckon. It might just mean he relinquishes the captaincy.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Just a quote I found in a post ACL surgery article:

"High-level athletes often come back from injury better athletes than before their procedure. Elite athletes can regain their sport-specific skills relatively easily. However, they may be able to devote more energy to some aspects of training that have otherwise been neglected. By focusing on core strengthening and flexibility, elite athletes can gain a competitive advantage".

As opposed to that it would be an interesting case study to know how many AFL players have come back from ACL injuries and had stellar careers, anyone think of anyone?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

"High-level athletes often come back from injury better athletes than before their procedure. Elite athletes can regain their sport-specific skills relatively easily. However, they may be able to devote more energy to some aspects of training that have otherwise been neglected. By focusing on core strengthening and flexibility, elite athletes can gain a competitive advantage".

As opposed to that it would be an interesting case study to know how many AFL players have come back from ACL injuries and had stellar careers, anyone think of anyone?

Shaun Rehn did knees in 95 and 96 and then rucked in back to back premierships and went AA in 98.

He had gone AA in 94 on good knees though, so we cant say he came back better, but

we can certainly say he had a stellar career post knees.

cant think of any others without google

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
You're not talking about a normal human T'love, I've been watching him "Flying on the Track" and can tell you he would be the fittest bloke at the club with the work he has put in, (he ain't slowing down). Yeah there will be rust and some initial trust issues with his knee to worry about but that will quickly pass. Baring re-doing his knee i back Rancey to get back to his best.
You mention Lynch as a perfect example, Lynch played all 25 games, without him we don't make finals, let alone GF, (Lynch was dominating year end when it counted), I'll happily take that example and apply it to Rance :D

Absolutely regarding Lynch but my point was he was nowhere near his best for at least the first half of the season coming off his knee reco and he's much younger. The psychological aspect of playing AFL level footy is vastly different to training. I know Rance is extraordinary but he's still human. True we would likely not have made finals without Lynch. We did without Rance. Lynch is at his peak age, Rance is past it. I would be surprised but extremely happy to see Rance come out and continue where he left off in 2018 but over 30yo coming off a reco I think it's unlikely. I'm comfortable with not placing too higher expectations on him.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
This is very interesting. Genetics or training based in rehab?

Leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins says there's evidence to suggest an AFL player, should the return to the same elite level post-surgery, is five to seven times more likely to pop his "good" ACL than before the first injury.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins says there's evidence to suggest an AFL player, should the return to the same elite level post-surgery, is five to seven times more likely to pop his "good" ACL than before the first injury.

If it is training based, read Stronger & Bolder to get an idea of the EXTRAORDINARY lengths the conditioning staff have put Rance through, (especially the wobble board routine), to get his balance and muscle equalization right to guard against recurrence or referred injuries, (no guarantee of course).

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Dr Death, (Peter Larkins), also said this; ;)

DOCTOR SENDS ALARMING LYNCH WARNING TO TIGERS

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
With his totally committed mindset and physical attributes he'll still be a top-line key back I reckon.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If it is training based, read Stronger & Bolder to get an idea of the EXTRAORDINARY lengths the conditioning staff have put Rance through, (especially the wobble board routine), to get his balance and muscle equalization right to guard against recurrence or referred injuries, (no guarantee of course).

Yeah I wasn't referring this back to Rance in particular. I concur with Larkins on the theory that there is a much higher incidence of sportspeople having a knee reco on their good knee AFTER a previous one on their bad knee so just pondering whether it would be more likely genetic based or around rehab. The warning on Lynch by Larkins was fair enough imo. There was always going to be a higher risk of re injury coming back from a knee reco and that doesn't go away. Risk-reward. Paid off for us.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah I wasn't referring this back to Rance in particular. I concur with Larkins on the theory that there is a much higher incidence of sportspeople having a knee reco on their good knee AFTER a previous one on their bad knee so just pondering whether it would be more likely genetic based or around rehab. The warning on Lynch by Larkins was fair enough imo. There was always going to be a higher risk of re injury coming back from a knee reco and that doesn't go away. Risk-reward. Paid off for us.

a bloke i play futsal with did exactly this ... ACL last year, one month ago did the other knee... poor bastard

not that we are elite sportspeople or anything but still

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014

The best comeback from an ACL injury that I have ever seen is Matthew Richardson. He got his knee injury in round 8 or 9 in 1995 and prior to the injury he was really flying. I think his knee injury involved his medial ligament as well as his ACL. That rotten mongrel Dunkley pushed him in the back just at the very wrong second. Richo of course made his playing comeback in round 1 of 1996 and he kicked a magnificent 91 goals for the season. He looked like he had lost little of his athletic powers. His 91 goals the year after a very serious injury for a tall and athletic bloke was imo just an incredible physical and mental effort. In terms of goals per season, he couldn't reach the heights of 91 goals in later seasons but he did still play a lot of awesome football for another 11 or more seasons after 1996.

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The best comeback from an ACL injury that I have ever seen is Matthew Richardson. He got his knee injury in round 8 or 9 in 1995 and prior to the injury he was really flying. I think his knee injury involved his medial ligament as well as his ACL. That rotten mongrel Dunkley pushed him in the back just at the very wrong second. Richo of course made his playing comeback in round 1 of 1996 and he kicked a magnificent 91 goals for the season. He looked like he had lost little of his athletic powers. His 91 goals the year after a very serious injury for a tall and athletic bloke was imo just an incredible physical and mental effort. In terms of goals per season, he couldn't reach the heights of 91 goals in later seasons but he did still play a lot of awesome football for another 11 or more seasons after 1996.

Who kicked the ball to him just before Dunkley mangled him into the fence?

**Chris Bond.
Shouldve been a chest pass on the lead, but ended up as a bubble kick.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Same day Cometti told me to Flk off.
We went top of the ladder after that game, but typical cometti thought we weren't any good.
So i let him know after the game.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Can't believe i forgot that one :rolleyes: Nice call!

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Julius , Richo comes to mind.
kicked nearly 100 goals the following year?
Stand to be corrected if I’m wrong!

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Shaun Rehn did knees in 95 and 96 and then rucked in back to back premierships and went AA in 98.

He had gone AA in 94 on good knees though, so we cant say he came back better, but

we can certainly say he had a stellar career post knees.

cant think of any others without google
Richo?

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Richo

Rehn

Brodie Smith was doing ok after his ACL but dropped off after some big hits and concussions, only really started to show form again this year.

Daniel Rich was doing ok before his ACL and still has good output.

Trent Croad ?? I'm sure theres plenty.

Have to see how Nic Nat goes after his.

With the hamstring tendon grafts the issue is often hammy tears in the donor leg due to weakness that hasnt been adequately reinforced over time with rehab and recovery.