Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I could see why he might go to another club.
I can't see why he would want to leave a group that he has achieved so much with and appear to have a special bond. He was a major driving force in the resurgence that lead this group to the promised land.

The only reason I can see that he would leave to play for another club is that there has been a major falling out of some kind. I truly hope that is not the case.

Reactions: 1 user

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I think if he's not training with us right now then there is no chance he returns.
Personally I wouldn't trade away a first rounder.
He hasn't played virtually since the end of 2018.
Round 1 2021 is a long time to be out of the game.
In saying that if treloar and beams commanded 2 first rounders.
We should be asking for a top 5 pick or at least 2 picks between 10 & 20.
Or trade him to Sydney for Papley or McCartin
I'm with you. He's a champ but the moment has passed and really, if he's not training with us now, he's not going to play this year and I think that's the end of him.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
His value is significantly reduced by the fact he's played no footy for 18 months, and no-one knows how well his knee has recovered. If he wants to play elsewhere at the end of 2020, he's 2 years out of the game, with a suspect knee, if Richmond enforce 2021 contract, he's 32, and three years out of the game. Having said that, I doubt the club would stand in his way, if he wanted to go, they'd let him, and not ask much in return. 31 y.o. suspect knee, and susceptible to religious reasons to walk away again. Maybe 2 years left and unlikely to be at 2017/18 levels.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
So he has a contract on lots, but has an agreement with us to only take payment for the period worked ie the preseason preChristmas.

If he comes back to play presumably he returns to the original contract.
If he continues to be retired in 2021 then its not at the playing price.
As I see it the salary cap impact is minor.
It is costing a list spot, but thats not an expensive gamble.

I can see why he retired. I expect he will remain so.
I could see why he might go to another club.
I hope against hope that he rejoins the mighty tigers

His salary cap post Christmas is nil. Loss of his list spot is difficult to put a value on but our list is strong and it’s value is accordingly less to us than it might be to weaker sides.

I don’t think we are after first rounders in the next draft. In fact with Rioli Jnr in our sights, and ours and I believe Collingwood’s second rounder in place I think we should be looking to trade our first out this year with a player maybe Nank, for a pick up grade next year.

I would love him Rance to stay but the Club comes first and we simply can not let him go for less than real value.
And it is not in the Clubs interests to let him go to a fellow contender, unless it is maybe a direct swap with Collingwood for Degoey.
It is rather early to be clear but a trade to Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, Gold Coast or Melbourne for their first rounder in the 21 draft, would seem about right for all concerned.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Rance is no longer an RFC Player. He was an absolute Champion and played a large role in getting us to 2 flags. Eternally grateful and forever remembered as a Tiger great.

If he returns to AFL and if it's with us or someone else won't diminish or enhance what he's achieved for us. This continued debate and speculation does no good for anyone.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Rance is no longer an RFC Player. He was an absolute Champion and played a large role in getting us to 2 flags. Eternally grateful and forever remembered as a Tiger great.

If he returns to AFL and if it's with us or someone else won't diminish or enhance what he's achieved for us. This continued debate and speculation does no good for anyone.

what is his forum is for,
Rumours, speculation and sometimes facts.
We won a premiership by 15 goals without him, we should be ok.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Being mentioned here and there that if Rance plays next year, it will be at another club. Jon Ralph wrote that if it eventuates, "Rance owes Richmond nothing", implying that any trade would be token.

Obviously there is some sort of rift between Rance and RFC. The media has certainly looked after him.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Being mentioned here and there that if Rance plays next year, it will be at another club. Jon Ralph wrote that if it eventuates, "Rance owes Richmond nothing", implying that any trade would be token.

Obviously there is some sort of rift between Rance and RFC. The media has certainly looked after him.
If he wanted to play for another club in 2021 let him. It’s all over now.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020

You are correct . The Rift is very real

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Backline is fine without him.
Not fussed, how many players have returned after 2 years out of the game and had a impact?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Any clues as to what it's about?

Dosent look good from the outside.
Walks away 2 months after the national Draft and list lodgements.
Teammates were very quite about his departure.
No press conference with Hardwick and Cotchin.
No farewell lap.
No farewell Dinner.
He disappeared like a fart in the wind.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
You are correct . The Rift is very real
Has it got anything to do with him choosing not to push for finals selection last year? Or was he told that he wouldn't be selected?

Last edited:

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Dosent look good from the outside.
Walks away 2 months after the national Draft and list lodgements.
Teammates were very quite about his departure.
No press conference with Hardwick and Cotchin.
No farewell lap.
No farewell Dinner.
He disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Yeah the whole thing was very weird.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Yeah the whole thing was very weird.

His departure was more like when Griffens left, one day worth of news and then nothing.
Not the departure of a 5 time AA & Premiership Hero.
Something really stinks.
If he does come back expect a Mal Michael type of a return.
Ive constantly heard he wants to go to footscary.