Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
If he returns to the AFL at another club then it would be nigh on nailed on that he's had a falling out with others at the RFC for whatever reasons may have been the butt of speculation previously.

The previous speculation would be rampant and would follow him to his new club.

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
If he returns to the AFL at another club then it would be nigh on nailed on that he's had a falling out with others at the RFC for whatever reasons may have been the butt of speculation previously.

The previous speculation would be rampant and would follow him to his new club.

He is still under contract for 2020 & 2021, there hasn't been any available mechanism for us to delist him.

If he wants to come back with any club, make them trade for him

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
It wouldn't be Collingwood they are about to throw everything including McGuire's Toorak Mansion, and his pet Budgies at Jezza Cameron to lure him from Gee Whizz..

FWIW IMO Cameron aint gonna leave the Giants .....he "IS" the Giants marquee they wouldn't let him and hes happy there he's said it ad nauseum.

Therefore I hope the Maggots spend the next few months trying to win over Jezza because they'll be wasting their time and miss out on other options.

Rance to the Druggies to be with Rutten and Blake I reckon "IF" he goes anywhere else.

Last edited:

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Watch the media go silent once they figure out he's still on our list & a Club would need to offer us the World to have this happen.
They'd love him to move elsewhere but won't be so keen on us getting a very decent return on him.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Watch the media go silent once they figure out he's still on our list & a Club would need to offer us the World to have this happen.
They'd love him to move elsewhere but won't be so keen on us getting a very decent return on him.

Not exactly. If it is true that he left on bad terms. (Gale was really strong there would be NO return)
We would trade him, for the best offer.
From a good tomatoe sauce, He wants to go to the Dogs if stays in Melbourne.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Very expensive gamble to keep him on the list.
It is but atm he's not taking a spot off anyone else & if he wanted to come back we can force a Club to trade for him. It'd need to be a top offer.

Not exactly. If it is true that he left on bad terms. (Gale was really strong there would be NO return)
We would trade him, for the best offer.
From a good tomatoe sauce, He wants to go to the Dogs if stays in Melbourne.
Even if we wouldn't take him back we can still demand a very decent return for him.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
He is taking a spot from someone who could be on the main list, as well as a big chunk of salary cap.

With both looking like shrinking next season then it would become even more of an issue to waste a spot and money.

You also only have the chance to trade him after this season, the following trade period he will be out of contract and be able to leave for nothing.

I'm afraid whichever way you slice it, if he decides to go on elsewhere it will be for nothing.
Just on the salary cap, with it coming down other Clubs will need to shed players unless they are willing to take a serious cut (good luck with that) we won't have that issue, the only thing it may have an effect on us is how much we can offer someone we are trying to get in to the Club. Clubs which won't have much cap left like Cats/Pies will be more affected by this than we will be.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I wouldn't see it like that.

Being an AFL player is a very difficult job. You punish yourself physically and mentally to try and achieve a single goal, a premiership.

Once you achieve that the desire to continue to give the same level of commitment must be hard to find. Even as a member, I felt a change in the way I felt about footy when we won the flag. There was a real sense of here is everything you have ever wanted so what do you do now?

I could totally understand a player who had won a flag and then missed a large chunk of footy deciding that not going through that level of punishment felt pretty good. I can also totally understand that once you felt refreshed again you might consider doing it again, but might want the challenge of hunting something again.

A bit like Dusty struggled with motivation after 2017. Its hard to back it up year after year.

He is taking a spot from someone who could be on the main list, as well as a big chunk of salary cap.

With both looking like shrinking next season then it would become even more of an issue to waste a spot and money.

You also only have the chance to trade him after this season, the following trade period he will be out of contract and be able to leave for nothing.

I'm afraid whichever way you slice it, if he decides to go on elsewhere it will be for nothing.

If we get a trade at the end of this year, might get something, but for the year after, it starts to become a bigger risk for a club to take a player who hasn’t played for 3 years - can’t see it happening.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I think I posted a while ago but I did hear there was a fall out of some kind. I don’t know the details though. It could explain why no players bid him farewell.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
If we get a trade at the end of this year, might get something, but for the year after, it starts to become a bigger risk for a club to take a player who hasn’t played for 3 years - can’t see it happening.

Sure, but you're talking about Alex (the great) Rance. Would still take him back in the blink of an eye. And I think so would nearly all clubs. Well, at least the ones who think they're premiership window is open, especially if their defence is lacking a KPP.

Even if he might only have 2-3 years left at best, compares pretty well with an unproven draft prospect that might require 4-5 years of development to become half the player the mighty Rance is.

I'm more bothered by posters claiming he might be going to another club. I find it hard to believe he would actually desert his 'band of brothers' to then go and match up against them. That really would give credence to the unpleasant 'falling-out' rumours.

I'm putting more faith in what Benny said. He's over and out and not returning at all. Probably sees his single-minded dedication to RFC as costing too much in his life, like his marriage and ... life-balance, which he has oft referred to.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
He is contracted till the end of 2021

If at the end of 2020 we decided to delist him, he would then become a delisted free agent

That is why i am pissed with him, he signed a 2 year extension (for 2020 & 2021) on 12/07/2018 & then decided to retire some 17 months later
Don’t see that we are disadvantaged by this. If he is contracted for 2021 and he finds a new home then that club will have to trade for him.
He has looked after himself and might go on for another 5 years. Based on Collingwood and Essendon’s approach over recent years a future first round pick from a probable bottom 4 team seems about right.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Sure, but you're talking about Alex (the great) Rance. Would still take him back in the blink of an eye. And I think so would nearly all clubs. Well, at least the ones who think they're premiership window is open, especially if their defence is lacking a KPP.

Even if he might only have 2-3 years left at best, compares pretty well with an unproven draft prospect that might require 4-5 years of development to become half the player the mighty Rance is.

I'm more bothered by posters claiming he might be going to another club. I find it hard to believe he would actually desert his 'band of brothers' to then go and match up against them. That really would give credence to the unpleasant 'falling-out' rumours.

I'm putting more faith in what Benny said. He's over and out and not returning at all. Probably sees his single-minded dedication to RFC as costing too much in his life, like his marriage and ... life-balance, which he has oft referred to.
I think what you're saying is right, except that there is salary to consider. Honestly, I think if he wanted to go to the Dogs we'd be all over it to get the list spot and 700K a year off our salary cap, and of course save more money.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So he has a contract on lots, but has an agreement with us to only take payment for the period worked ie the preseason preChristmas.

If he comes back to play presumably he returns to the original contract.
If he continues to be retired in 2021 then its not at the playing price.
As I see it the salary cap impact is minor.
It is costing a list spot, but thats not an expensive gamble.

I can see why he retired. I expect he will remain so.
I could see why he might go to another club.
I hope against hope that he rejoins the mighty tigers

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
So he has a contract on lots, but has an agreement with us to only take payment for the period worked ie the preseason preChristmas.

If he comes back to play presumably he returns to the original contract.
If he continues to be retired in 2021 then its not at the playing price.
As I see it the salary cap impact is minor.
It is costing a list spot, but thats not an expensive gamble.

I can see why he retired. I expect he will remain so.
I could see why he might go to another club.
I hope against hope that he rejoins the mighty tigers
His salary cap post Christmas is nil. Loss of his list spot is difficult to value, but our list is strong and it’s value is accordingly less than it is to weaker clubs.
I don’t think we are after first rounders in the next draft. In fact with Rioli Jnr in our sites, and ours and I believe Collingwood second rounder in place I think we should be looking to trade our first out this year, with a player, maybe Nank, for a pick up grade in 21.
Should not let Rance go for nothing and would not release him to a fellow contender.
A trade to Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast or Melbourne for their first rounder, also in the 21 draft, seems about right for all concerned.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
His salary cap post Christmas is nil. Loss of his list spot is difficult to value, but our list is strong and it’s value is accordingly less than it is to weaker clubs.
I don’t think we are after first rounders in the next draft. In fact with Rioli Jnr in our sites, and ours and I believe Collingwood second rounder in place I think we should be looking to trade our first out this year, with a player, maybe Nank, for a pick up grade in 21.
Should not let Rance go for nothing and would not release him to a fellow contender.
A trade to Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Gold Coast or Melbourne for their first rounder, also in the 21 draft, seems about right for all concerned.

Personally I wouldn't trade away a first rounder.
He hasn't played virtually since the end of 2018.
Round 1 2021 is a long time to be out of the game.
In saying that if treloar and beams commanded 2 first rounders.
We should be asking for a top 5 pick or at least 2 picks between 10 & 20.
Or trade him to Sydney for Papley or McCartin