Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
So why mention anything about it then?
It's like the ppl we get on Bigfooty post season that gloat about knowing of a trade rumour for a big name player we have over the line but they can't release the name "but believe you me it's a great get & we'll all be wrapped" Then when nobody believes them they get all defensive etc...

Heard a new version last night regarding the circumstances regarding his departure. one of these friend of a fiend of a work colleague type stories ( apparently from a recently departed due to COVID RFC employee). I will not share the story apart from saying its one I have not heard, does NOT involve any ones partner. My thinking is this will spread though the normal domains but Im not prepared to publish it here.

Without disclosing the reason if what your source said is correct do you think this will preclude Rance from coming back to the club?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
He’s back! He’s back! He’s... oh.

Lucky club.

But this means there’s more of a chance for next year! *fingers crossed*

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
do we grab him in mid season draft?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Comeback all set... with Swan Valley in a Perth local comp. Ex-Carlton player David Ellard is captain-coach, and also Rance's cousin.

Story in HS (pyawalled)

Richmond premiership star Alex Rance set for shock footy return in local Perth competition

The West Australian also ran the article L2R2R, but it was paywalled as well.

Just on Rance, anyone who thinks there is substance to the rumours that he feel out with the playing group or club, for whatever reason, needs to read Konrad Marshall's new book.

It talk's about Rance's role in assisting with various psychological programs the club ran while the team was in the hub. It might only be brief, but so is the book and the message is clear. Whatever the reasons behind him retiring, he remains a committed and accepted part of the team, just not as a player.

Reactions: 5 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
do we grab him in mid season draft?

My guess is thats his plan - Rance to test his body and mind away from AFL land to see whether he is up for it - and if so could be drafted by anyone mid season. A comeback at 31/32 years of age after 2 seasons out of the game - still a long shot.

This will make life interesting - I could see a team like the cats go all out for him (what’s his relationship like with Grigg?) and I reckon the value of his off-field work would be of more benefit to another team than actually playing on field.

I can’t see him returning to the tigers tbh - how do we fit him into that backline of ours.

...... but then I could be completely wrong

Richmond's former star full-back Alex Rance is in discussions with a fourth-division club in Perth to make a return to footy in 2021.

The five-time All-Australian retired from AFL football prematurely at age 30 in 2019 to spend more time with his family, and to focus more on his Jehovah's Witness faith.

Alex Rance could make an amateur league comeback.
Alex Rance could make an amateur league comeback. CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
But amateur fourth-division side Swan Valley Football Club is in advanced negotiations with the 2017 Richmond premiership player to run out for a handful of matches for the side in 2021.

Swan Valley's new player-coach is Rance's cousin David Ellard, and a source at the club said they were confident that link would secure them the defender's services.
Advertisement

Ellard played 63 AFL matches for Carlton between 2008 and 2015.

The hope is that Rance could play two or three games or a best-case scenario of five, which would qualify him for finals and help the club move up a division.

They are keen for as many of those games as possible to be home games to attract big crowds, and for Rance's involvement in the club to boost their junior stocks and fuel the return of an under-20s Colts side.

In March 2020 Rance said he was “not going to completely rule out” a return to footy one day.

"I love the game and I love what I have contributed and I am not going to completely rule out the fact that I could come back," Rance told RRR.

RELATED ARTICLE
Turn the lights on? The AFL is considering the future possibility of night grand finals.
AFL 2020
AFL year in review: Hubs, kebabs, day spas and walking out the wrong door
"But at this stage I am really happy with the life balance that I have and I don't regret any of my time spent at Richmond because it made me who I am and I am proud of the effort that I put in there to achieve what we did.

"It's a constant thing – this is bad analogy but I am going to use it anyway – it's like being an alcoholic and constantly working at [bottle shop] Dan Murphy's.

"I know that if I go back to playing for Richmond I am going to love it so much and it is going to consume my life and my balance is going to go out again so I am happy where I am at."

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The West Australian also ran the article L2R2R, but it was paywalled as well.

Just on Rance, anyone who thinks there is substance to the rumours that he feel out with the playing group or club, for whatever reason, needs to read Konrad Marshall's new book.

It talk's about Rance's role in assisting with various psychological programs the club ran while the team was in the hub. It might only be brief, but so is the book and the message is clear. Whatever the reasons behind him retiring, he remains a committed and accepted part of the team, just not as a player.
I did read that, and I hope it put paid once and for all to those unhelpful stories. Seriously the source for all that was the gutter crawler Nixon.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Considering he was talking to Footscary. A 4th level Perth club is about the same.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
50 bucks Footscary and Essendon pick him up in the mid year draft..not welcome back at punt rd

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Cant see it happening, is Melbourne based, Covid, quarantine and closed borders, not likely for mine.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Cant see it happening, is Melbourne based, Covid, quarantine and closed borders, not likely for mine.
Flies to Perth, does his 14 days including testing and then what's stopping him? It's described as a handful of games so not likely to be away from Melbourne for a full season.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
i rated Rance as much as anyone but big deal, move on, he's not going to be back at Richmond..

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Flies to Perth, does his 14 days including testing and then what's stopping him? It's described as a handful of games so not likely to be away from Melbourne for a full season.
And I think there was at least one player on a VFL list last year who did something very similar to play in the WAFL. So it would be very doable for Rance if that’s what he wants to do.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Yes it's doable.

He's Melbourne based, it depends on whether his business interests will allow him to be away for awhile.
I may have read it wrong in assuming that he would fly in, play a couple of couple of games and fly out, and then do the same again a couple more times. If he does it that way and has to quarantine both ways it, he'd have to be very keen to play.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Yes it's doable.

He's Melbourne based, it depends on whether his business interests will allow him to be away for awhile.
I may have read it wrong in assuming that he would fly in, play a couple of couple of games and fly out, and then do the same again a couple more times. If he does it that way and has to quarantine both ways it, he'd have to be very keen to play.
Shouldn't have to quarantine both ways. At least at the moment there's no community transmission in WA so there'd be no need to quarantine on return to VIC. That, of course, may change.