America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate)

Re: America, will they ever learn?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/us-presented-israel-with-an-iran-strike-plan-newspaper-reports/story-fnd134gw-1226438010311

Here we go again!!!

Apparently you only need a torch when facing a madman...and maybe a good pair of sneakers :blah

http://www.news.com.au/world/how-to-survive-a-shooting-massacre-hint-carry-a-torch/story-fndir2ev-1226438318622

624339-gun-facts-america-infographic-july-25-2012.jpg

Those stats would be the official ones, I bet there are copious amounts of unregistered guns as well.

Funny how things click after 33 years.....(I wasn't too interested in this song, hence, my ignorance ;D)

Just realised now that the Boomtown Rats song 'I don't like Mondays' relates to a 16 year old loonie in San Diego shooting towards school kids across the road and killing 2 people just because....she didn't like Mondays......geez.

bullus_hit said:
Those stats would be the official ones, I bet there are copious amounts of unregistered guns as well.

I think its not just the amount of guns but the majority of the problem is education, culture, and the differences in society between the USA and...say Switzerland.

Switzerland are noted as 3rd on the graphic I posted as guns-per-head of population...but they also don't have an army and rely on a 'home militia' type system, so people keep their guns at home as part of the actual "defence force" if you can call it that.

I had a look at some stats and Switzerland has about 1/40th the population of the USA but 1/258th the amount of people killed from guns.
I know Switzerland, even though high on the list still has a smaller guns-per-head compared to the USA, but going by these stats you could say that Switzerland could up their guns to more than the Americans for guns-per-head and they would still have far less gun killings than the USA.

Surely this means that accessibility to guns isn't the main cause but other factors contribute more to the use of guns to kill people.

Its why I am not that fussed about "tighter gun controls" as people will still get access to gun but I think a lot of it comes down to the surrounds/environment, the culture, the people and their attitudes towards gun crime and gun killings.

Liverpool said:
Its why I am not that fussed about "tighter gun controls" as people will still get access to gun but I think a lot of it comes down to the surrounds/environment, the culture, the people and their attitudes towards gun crime and gun killings.

Agree with all of this, with so many guns in circulation, it would be fanciful to think that any new laws would suddenly stop people from owning them and procuring them. The horse bolted with the cowboys and indians and there's nothing that will alter the mindset of most Americans, their natural response to massacres will be to go out and buy more firearms and to live in a perpetual state of fear. Americans have always loved the notion of living with the enemy, even if that constitutes one of their own going on a violent rampage. And the government will continue to stoke the fire because fear is the easiest mechanism to control the masses.

Liverpool said:
I think its not just the amount of guns but the majority of the problem is education, culture, and the differences in society between the USA and...say Switzerland.

Switzerland are noted as 3rd on the graphic I posted as guns-per-head of population...but they also don't have an army and rely on a 'home militia' type system, so people keep their guns at home as part of the actual "defence force" if you can call it that.

I had a look at some stats and Switzerland has about 1/40th the population of the USA but 1/258th the amount of people killed from guns.
I know Switzerland, even though high on the list still has a smaller guns-per-head compared to the USA, but going by these stats you could say that Switzerland could up their guns to more than the Americans for guns-per-head and they would still have far less gun killings than the USA.

Surely this means that accessibility to guns isn't the main cause but other factors contribute more to the use of guns to kill people.

Whether it is the main cause or not Liverpool is impossible to judge. It surely is a cause though.

bullus_hit said:
Agree with all of this, with so many guns in circulation, it would be fanciful to think that any new laws would suddenly stop people from owning them and procuring them. The horse bolted with the cowboys and indians and there's nothing that will alter the mindset of most Americans, their natural response to massacres will be to go out and buy more firearms and to live in a perpetual state of fear. Americans have always loved the notion of living with the enemy, even if that constitutes one of their own going on a violent rampage. And the government will continue to stoke the fire because fear is the easiest mechanism to control the masses.

Exactly right. Gun ownership in the US so entwined with the paradigm of revolution, personal freedom and so on that no policy maker can really touch it. Americans will keep believing the fantasy that "guns make them safer", both from the government (ask David Koresh about this one) and from criminals. Ho hum. Meanwhile the murders, massacres and suicides will continue.

antman said:
...... Americans will keep believing the fantasy that "guns make them safer", both from the government (ask David Koresh about this one) and from criminals. Ho hum. Meanwhile the murders, massacres and suicides will continue.

and apparently after each mass shooting gun sales go through the roof. Squirreling shooters just in case – safety first.

glantone said:
and apparently after each mass shooting gun sales go through the roof. Squirreling shooters just in case – safety first.

The whole "I need an item that is specifically designed to kill people in my home as this keeps my family safer" mindset is an intriguing one.

Although, a zombie apocalypse would make them right and me wrong.

antman said:
The whole "I need an item that is specifically designed to kill people in my home as this keeps my family safer" mindset is an intriguing one.

Like it! :)

antman said:

…well, bad news for you antman - my 13 yr old tells me that a zombie apocalypse is infact possible under the right conditions. Here’s an important zombie survival tool for you. Good luck. God bless.

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=real-would-you-survive-zombie-apocalypse-test

glantone said:
…well, bad news for you antman - my 13 yr old tells me that a zombie apocalypse is infact possible under the right conditions. Here’s an important zombie survival tool for you. Good luck. God bless.

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=real-would-you-survive-zombie-apocalypse-test

My 16 year old also gives me similar advice on this topic.

I posted a comment on a website that had low life's mugshot who did the cinema shooting,
I said "the US gun laws are a disgrace" or something to that effect.
Some of the replies were hilarious!!
Someone came back with a sarcastic comment saying "all women should wear dark veils because that will solve rape",
Then "Lain killed Able with a rock, so rocks should be outlawed too".

Gotta love their patriotic ways.

If I have a gun and you have the same gun, then the fight is fair.
Which means if I want to win - assuming you as my friendly neighbour - want to rape and pillage my family, then clearly I need a bigger gun than you.
But of course, this will cause you to buy an even bigger gun than mine. And likely one or three extras just to be sure.
So to be really safe and protect my family from a-holes like you, I'll get a gun for every family member, and make them sleep with it loaded under their pillow.

Then one night around 3AM you here a noise in your back yard. So you creep out of bed, fully armed, and discover some-one with a torch looking at your property.
Assuming it's me, your friendly highly armed neighbour, you don't ask questions, you just shoot, as it's your 2nd Amendment Right to protect your family right?
Turns out it's a copper investigating a reported break in somewhere in the neighbourhood.
It also transpires you're short sighted and in your haste to get fully armed you forget your specs.
So your shot missed, but the copper didn't and your dead.
Now it's a race issue, 'cos the coppers white and he's just shot a black man in his PJ's in his own home.

I just love America!

…I’ve had the misfortune to spend a sleepless night under the threat of death by gun shot thanks to a ‘I’m gunna kill the white guy’ drunken wife bashing neighbor in Bangkok. I can tell you there’s nothing more humbling or sobering than the very real prospect of a metal projectile hurtling through space on a trajectory towards your brains from point blank range. Lots of things to consider – wife, kid, McGuane’s selection chances.

Arming oneself is understandable but none the less delusional relief – reckon if you need a pistol to feel safe, you aint.

Mind you there are some pros: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SILU0UZw1M

..and then there's this for a good night's sleep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=338cvFYY0KE

Not even worth opening up a new thread for this Australian scumbag, today marks 25 years since the Hoddle Street killings took place.

Strange how Scumbag Knight calls Vitkovic (Aust Post shooting in Dec 1987) mad but himself normal. He was trained to kill by the Army, so he just killed 7 people.....geez.

This lunatic wants to be famous by stating that copycat killers followed his way after this event. What a prick.

TigerForce said:
Not even worth opening up a new thread for this Australian scumbag, today marks 25 years since the Hoddle Street killings took place.

Strange how Scumbag Knight calls Vitkovic (Aust Post shooting in Dec 1987) mad but himself normal. He was trained to kill by the Army, so he just killed 7 people.....geez.

This lunatic wants to be famous by stating that copycat killers followed his way after this event. What a prick.

Another reason why the death penalty should have been dusted off for this *smile* .

Here we are, 25 years later and he is still making the news.

A lethal injection 25 years ago and he'd be consigned to the dustbin of history and maybe some partial relief to the family members who had relatives who didn't make it home that day.