Andrew 'Mini' McQualter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew 'Mini' McQualter

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I raised this earlier. I believe the club has already put a line through his name. If he was a genuine contender the club would give him free reign and allow him to put his best foot forward.

As soon as Balmy said there would be no change to way we go about it I thought Mini is just a caretaker coach and nothing more
Rubbish , the season is still alive , as if theyd allow him to come in and tip the place upside down , I believe he’s firmly in the frame

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We've gone from "sausage cooking" and "various stages" to a "lick of the ice cream"!
Well done Mini.
Love it.
Well obviously after you're done with all the cooked sausages ya gotta have a lick of the ice cream for dessert.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
R12 2023

The sub is a running player. A running player with a big advantage - he hasn't spent a penny and everybody else is knackered.

Once we named a pseudo tall as sub (amazeballs!) we were in a world of *smile*. This innovation yielded - get ready for this (no sit down) - 24 I50 to GWS in the final quarter.

Normally you would take a tall off to get more zip. Luckily we didn't or we'd have got done.

Once we structured up the squad we should've chosen Cumberland on park with Mansell the sub. We got this very wrong. Soon we will have other running players available. We should select one to play sub. And others to play on park.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I raised this earlier. I believe the club has already put a line through his name. If he was a genuine contender the club would give him free reign and allow him to put his best foot forward.

As soon as Balmy said there would be no change to way we go about it I thought Mini is just a caretaker coach and nothing more
Disagree imo...
Theres no emoji to say that without it looking like i hated what you said!
I think we'll see small changes because thats what he wants

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Would be interested to hear what his philosophy is and where he would take a team with a clean slate.

Watching live yesterday there wasn't much to get excited from, in fact both teams were playing the same game which is why neither could defend.

Not sure the model is a viable challenging vehicle any longer, question is does McQualter have one that is with a clean slate.
I'm convinced (with no evidence) that our style was created to match a typical finals game.
we call it ours but its finals footy.
chaos ball is 1989 and 1990 grand finals

And down the line consistency (we did this far too much imo) is the highest % method.

All of it was based on empirical data. Accountant at the helm.
After 3 failed seasons, look at what it takes to win a final.
Because 2016 copying the hawks was a bust.

So i cant see the club changing from that ethos because we want to win in september, not in winter.

Reactions: 5 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Good chance to review his 1st game. I reckon he'll change things as we continue this season.

He is the new head coach and if a smart one he will take his time.
Change will come but slowly and respectfully. Fully expect us to finish up with a fair number out of contract and among them some pretty good players on the market.
Dimma knew where we are and some were identified last year. More to come.

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
The key statistic that stood out for me was 70 GSW inside 50s to 47.
Amazing difference.
Means that we are building a resilient rebound defence.
Tremendous coaching by "Quality" McQualter, despite Hopper's absence, among other key players.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
McQualter would be in a few minds as to how he wants to coach. Do I follow the Dimma mode or coach my own way? I reckon as the season continues he,ll slowly feel more comfortable coaching his own way.

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
The key statistic that stood out for me was 70 GSW inside 50s to 47.
Amazing difference.
Means that we are building a resilient rebound defence.
Tremendous coaching by "Quality" McQualter, despite Hopper's absence, among other key players.

It also means there was something very wrong further up the ground for it to get so lopsided late in the game. Going back and looking at the numbers for all the other key stats, there is no way we should have won that game. Anyone looking at the numbers in isolation would have assumed an easy 5+ goal win to the Giants.

This was more about GWS not being able to finish the job than anything McQualter was doing in the coaching box.

All that being said, looking forward to watching what he does over the rest of the season - if he can do something about our delivery into the forward line, eliminate the dumb turnovers in dangerous areas, and implement the run-10-boot-60 Balta Rule (apologies to the poster I've stolen this from - it's too good not to plagiarise), then I'll be happy.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I'm convinced (with no evidence) that our style was created to match a typical finals game.
we call it ours but its finals footy.
chaos ball is 1989 and 1990 grand finals

And down the line consistency (we did this far too much imo) is the highest % method.

All of it was based on empirical data. Accountant at the helm.
After 3 failed seasons, look at what it takes to win a final.
Because 2016 copying the hawks was a bust.

So i cant see the club changing from that ethos because we want to win in september, not in winter.

Agree 100%, the issue is I think other teams have taken that style and improved it, which has left us behind.

Teams like Collingwood are using the high pressure, half back charge, gain territory at all costs type of style we had success with but they have taken it up a level by adding things like a tempo that allows them to defend while they have the ball for example.

My wonder is if McQualter has the next level in him as well or if he is just going to keep rolling out the Hardwick blueprint.

Reactions: 1 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
Getting beat by Port by 10points now doesn't look so bad on paper. Followed by a win on the road and the team seems to found some spirit which wasn't there earlier in the year.
This week will be a big test on the road. Win this and finals are possible.

Reactions: 7 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Coaching any sport at any level is stressful if you are emotionally invested.

True, now add to that AFL fan/organisation/professional/personal pressure and imagine how you'd feel! Anyone who would claim Mini is not emotionally invested clearly hasn't been watching him.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Very happy for McQ to coach a winning AFL game....a bloody good achievement and something not many can say they have done.

However, I still feel that getting a new coach, new assistant or 2 and a new head of fitness is the best way forward for the club.

Reactions: 2 users