angus graham playing like a cardboard cutout | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

angus graham playing like a cardboard cutout

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
one of our biggest problems is certainly in the ruck with angus graham almost non competitive, for such a young group, this puts our midfield behind the eightball, derix or brown must get a go, teams are so confident against us that rucks have regularly pushed forward, young vickery is showing huge promise and will be a top ruckman, but our no 1 ruck is a huge concern

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If its true that he's playing with fractured bones in his foot then i agree, its a worry.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
If hes injured he shouldnt be playing.
If he isnt injured he shouldnt be playing either.
How far off is Derrickx from coming into the side ? At least he will give us someone to kick to and he can take a contested grab.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Does not seem to understand how to position his body correctly to protect space, and does not have very clean hands. His marking is just average, but he does latch onto a few tackles. Not the worlds worst, but if we are to be a top 4 side one would have thought we will have to do better.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Giardiasis said:
Does not seem to understand how to position his body correctly to protect space, and does not have very clean hands. His marking is just average, but he does latch onto a few tackles. Not the worlds worst, but if we are to be a top 4 side one would have thought we will have to do better.
I have said it before that although I have not seen Derrickx much at all my view is that the only hope we have a getting a long term quality ruckman from this group is Tyrone Vickery . I know that there seems to be a big push to make him a forward but we have a 200 cm athletic 20 year old who to me should be developed as a ruckman , resting in the forward line .
I would like him to become Brendan Lade's shadow and learn as much from him about ruckwork as quickly as he can . It will take 2 more years for his body to develop but he has a genuine chance to be a top line ruckman .
Angus to me is as good as he will ever be , an honest toiler who can give a contest with other honest toilers but hasn't got the tools to compete with the best .

Joe Lynn Turnip

Tiger Superstar
Nov 8, 2009
I thought he showed some promise last year during our brief run of wins/good performances. Seems to have gone backwards again.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Our mids > forwards > defence > rucks...

Our rucks are our biggest deficiency which isn't a good thing considering they should be getting their hands on it first and tapping the ball for the benefit of our mids and should also be chipping in over the ground to assist. Our rucks don't do this well enough and have been getting smashed.

Is a shame that Graham hasn't kicked on and improved as he showed some good form during some games last year. He needs to both improve and be more consistent. I really hope Browne improves too but I have heard both god and bad reports from his VFL games so far this year. Is a shame that he wouldn't even have to dominate VFL level before being considered for senior games but unfortunately this is where our rucks are at.

We should be targeting a good ruckman and a good key position defender at years end to help bolster and even out our team.

I was secretly hoping we would have picked up Gorringe with pick 6 in last years draft. Although he isn't yet proven at AFL level, we would have had 2 x high draft picks as rucks who have great potential (Vickery has improved immensely and Gorringe did well against the Dogs last week). Happy with what I've seen so far with Conca however.

Tiger_4_Life

Grimesey!
Mar 30, 2009
Melbourne
jimbob said:
If he is injured - spell him & play Browne. Hale was far far better than Gus on Saturday night.

Hale's hair piece needed to be bandaged and taped down....least Gus had his real hair out there... 1 nil to Gus in the hair stakes :spin :spin

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I have a life sized Richo cutout, thats split in half and water damaged, reckon it would be of more use, plus less chance of falling over when contacted ;D

Browne surley deserves a gig , really do like the look of Derickx looks the only one who could be real good

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
This is the real area of concern for us I think. TV is still growing into the role, Angus is a trier and nothing much more, Browne probably should have made his way into the side by now if he was a viable option. Derikx is a late starter who may make the grade but is untried over a season.

I think Blair Hartley will be studying the ruck stocks of the other team's for a potential trade at the end of the season. It's a glaring hole in the squad at the moment. Bellchambers is coming on in huge strides at the Bombers, likewise Goldstein at the Roos, Big Tom looked good in pre-season, I'm hoping he gets over his heel injury and makes his way into the side to see how he performs.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
puregreen said:
This is the real area of concern for us I think. TV is still growing into the role, Angus is a trier and nothing much more, Browne probably should have made his way into the side by now if he was a viable option. Derikx is a late starter who may make the grade but is untried over a season.

I think Blair Hartley will be studying the ruck stocks of the other team's for a potential trade at the end of the season. It's a glaring hole in the squad at the moment. Bellchambers is coming on in huge strides at the Bombers, likewise Goldstein at the Roos, Big Tom looked good in pre-season, I'm hoping he gets over his heel injury and makes his way into the side to see how he performs.
I must say I really like that recruiting strategy has changed right through the AFL (enforced by the arrival of two new teams) to not only recruiting 17-18yo's, but also looking at late bloomers playing good footy in the various state leagues. I really like this development, means it's a bit more like the old days. Just my opinion but the tendency for only recruiting the best 17-18yo's gets a little contrived and boring after a while. Giving these 20-25yo 'wildcards' a chance makes it much more interesting and adds a bit of excitement.

I think Ruck is the obvious position which might be able to be filled in this way, as rucks are often late bloomers. This is why I will be fascinated whether Deryckx makes the grade. If so, are there any other 20-25YO ruckman going around the various state leagues that are worth looking at in addition to looking to trade for one?

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
While i would love Angus to be taken out of the squad, there is no way Browne should come in. He makes Graham look like a speedster!! I would actually go for a Vickery - Post combo. Saw Post take a few of the ruck contests in the Round 1 Coburg game and he competed better than Browne and Graham together. Was actually tapping to advantage.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen Browne is even worse. Graham and Browne are not part of our future. I would love a Mumford type. Derickx could be it but we need to recruit one more. Delist Browne and rookie or late pick another junior.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Giardiasis said:

Agree. Can't question Lade's credentials as a teacher; Gus needs to improve. A dominant ruck would make us so much better.