angus graham playing like a cardboard cutout | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

angus graham playing like a cardboard cutout

gus is an average ruckman at best. he is still young though & will develop a bit more strength through his body. he still has a bit of time up his sleeve to improve in this regard

problem is he shows little around the ground to give enough confidence to persevere with him. he can't take a contested grab & as a result doesn't provide a target. he can help bring the ball to ground at best

definitely time to give one of browne or derickx a game. apart from anything gus was absolutely stuffed by the end of saturday night & could probably do with a rest

& yes would love mumford. will be the most dominant ruck soon & will be for a while IMO

Personally, I'm amazed at Graham's improvement since the end of the 2009 season.
From 2006 to 2009, Graham struggled and didn't look like progressing. His 2010 & 2011 are significant improvements.

Another aspect is the relative age & experience of our rucks compared to other teams:

For Richmond:
Graham, 23yo, 36 games
Vickery, 20yo, 26 games
Browne, 20yo, 5 games

At other AFL clubs:
Adelaide - Maric, 25yo, 73 games
Brisbane - Clark, 23yo, 63 games
Collingwood - Jolly, 29yo, 195 games
Carlton - Warnock, 24yo, 36 games
Essendon - Hille, 29yo, 166 games
Freo - Sandilands, 28yo, 159 games
Geelong - Ottens, 31yo, 228 games
Hawthorn - Renouf, 22yo but 48 games
Melbourne - Jamar, 27yo, 98 games
North - Goldstein, 22yo, 38 games
Port - Brogan, 32yo, 165 games
StKilda - McEvoy, 21yo, 34 games
Sydney - Mumford, 24yo, 45 games
Westcoast - Cox, 29yo, 205 games
WesternB - Hudson, 32yo, 129 games

And how many of these established ruckmen actually clicked as 24yos?

The key, especially with the younger ones, is play them early, play them often and to be patient.

Gus just doesnt have the appetite for the contest that is required for an AFL ruck unfortunately. Combine that with a lack of skill & he doesnt give any hope of being part of our future.

frawleyudud said:
While i would love Angus to be taken out of the squad, there is no way Browne should come in. He makes Graham look like a speedster!! I would actually go for a Vickery - Post combo. Saw Post take a few of the ruck contests in the Round 1 Coburg game and he competed better than Browne and Graham together. Was actually tapping to advantage.

Cant agree on Coburg form Fuddy. I actually think that Posty has some ability as a ruckman and have been surprised at how competitive he has been when he has had the chance but was ordinary round 1 both in the ruck and around the ground.

Take the blinkers off on Browne. He kept Coburg in the game through his ruck work. Outstanding ruck game 35 hitouts and almost everyone led to a coburg first possesion - need to temper it with fact he was only up against Stanley but no contest on who was the best ruck on the ground round 1 at Coburg

TigerPort said:
Get Jordan Roughead from the Bulldogs

Can't see the bullies letting him go. He and Cordy will be their ruck combo going forward. Hudson and Minson will soon be gone.

Same could be said for bellchambers/ Hille, and bumbers would play real hard ball there.

Disappointed we didn't make a play for Giles, although Tom must have been considered a better fit. We'll see.

Cardboard cutouts are somewhat predictable in their movements and provide a reliable target, occasionally, they may even hold one. I don't understand the comparison.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Smashed Wood today, has 20 more hitouts and 4 more possessions .

You're kiddding. Horrible as always. Wood a spud as always.

He's a workhorse that's for sure...

Tonight was the first time i've noticed his enormous ball drop.. A couple of times I swear he dropped it from about the bottom of his ribs... Long way to travel down to his legs, and surprised he doesn't shank way more of them...

I think he'll build in confidence... Still looks (feels) like a kid out there... Definitely worth persisting with him..

Nowhere near AFL standard. We have no hope of improving in any decent measure if he is our best ruckman.

Ridley said:
Nowhere near AFL standard. We have no hope of improving in any decent measure if he is our best ruckman.

spot on, his ruck work might have been good, but around the ground he was poor. he couldn't out mark a smurf, his field kicking has no penetration and his effort against brown in the 3qtr when we had all the momentum was just not good enough.
if his a future get ready for some dark days. bring back stafford.