Are We Going To Turn On Our Team or Circle The Wagons in the Face of External Vitriol and Attack?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Are We Going To Turn On Our Team or Circle The Wagons in the Face of External Vitriol and Attack??

Only way to stop the criticism is by players putting in an effort of 110%
At the moment it’s looking like a bunch of individuals that try for a few moments then they just go into their shells and wait for next man to do something
Because they are stuffed so they just can't run up and back any more. They need some extended R&R to refresh, reset and build up again...which I believe they will. 2022 without Covid interruptions will be great. Some of those you think will retire just might not bc they will realise "they are a long time retired".

I have been very careful not to rub our success into other supporters but on Friday I got inundated with “ end of an era” texts and comments.
I ignored them with a smile and the standard reply that you have to have had an era for it to end!
What we all need to remember is that one of the most important things that has happened along with the on field success is what has happened off field. We are an AFL powerhouse which is superbly managed. This is just a blip on the radar and I am very confident the club will reset and go again.
We do have to be realistic however, player’s powers decline and so do teams. The strongest come back again

Reactions: 13 users
Through this sudden drop, it's been interesting to listen to the media (serious media as opposed to the AFL Shock Jocks). None are bagging the club or taking shots, nor seem to be jubilant of the fact we're not currently the benchmark. All seem to be pointing out that 3 in 4 years is a phenomenal effort and that they think there's still life in this Tiger yet, despite 4 years at the very top seeming to be what all the great teams could manage.

Looks like that we did earn the respect of the footy world, and that this team will go down as one of the greats as opposed the worst team ever to win 3 in 4 years.

Reactions: 6 users
I was 17 when I stood in the outer for the 1967 flag...so amazing after a 24 year drought. Then the next year we missed the final 4! Why? Came back to win in 1969, missed again next 2 years, GF 1972. Hungry to win again so won flags in '73 and '74. Then nothing for 5 years until 1980. Why? That's just what happens most of the time bc we are HUMAN, not robots. It's really hard to gather the mental and physical sharpness to play professional contact sport at a high level year after year.
This group have more to give, but not right now, not this year. Recruit a few hard, tough footballers with speed and good skills not just ones with nice skills. Getting early picks should help but we must be smart.

Reactions: 10 users
The fear of the tiger still lives on.

No media willing to right us off….. plenty of others happy to pile on.

This last 4 years I will happily take to my grave satisfied I have seen an epic tiger team dominant.

Maybe we don’t play finals this year, maybe we do…. time will tell.

Just think of the crows, pies supporters - they got to the pinnacle only to miss out and fell back down and have to start the climb again from the bottom.

The coasters and doggies lifted the cup, but only the once so far with their squads but that could change but I am sure their supporters still glow with the flag they got.

We got 3.

Part of me is sad that I may have seen the best of Cotch, Houli, Edwards, Astbury and Jack play the last game in September.

But I haven’t given up, not on this season, not on next year either - we still have the makings of a dominant team, just got to switch that switch if we can.

The fear of the tiger is still there, perhaps with a healthy dose of respect also.

If the vitriol was only coming from external sources. As much as I'm very annoyed with this year's performance, some folks on these boards are either trolls or the type of Richmond supporter I'd hear jokes made about when I was growing up. Talk about eating our young.
Most on here are naturally disappointed but are very respectful and grateful to the players for what we have achieved so far. Knee-jerk reactions regarding list management are not smart at this time of year and I think most posters understand that.

I do think the efforts of what it took to win it last year have been underestimated and took their toll on many of our players.

Reactions: 8 users
I do think the efforts of what it took to win it last year have been underestimated and took their toll on many of our players.
Yes, combined with the short break seeing as the season finished late October. The Cats had the same short break but they lost the GF, so they have unfinished business...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, combined with the short break seeing as the season finished late October. The Cats had the same short break but they lost the GF, so they have unfinished business...
Yes. I am also of the view that the gap from top to bottom of the AFL is the smallest it has ever been.

Reactions: 2 users
Has Geelong ever beaten us in a final on the way to one of their flags. They sure seem to be a team that we beat in finals on the way to ours.

Only 1931 comes up in my knowledge, might be others though. We seemed pretty good at losing Grand Finals back then: 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931 and 1933 :(

i have been wearing my Tigers tracksuit top everywhere!
at the supermarket a toothless pies supporter tried to wind me up ,
i smiled and said " we are still reigning premiers idiot!
even if we dont make the top 8 this year, 3 out and 4 Premierships is still there !
how many years do you go back to see 3 pies flags? "
ha ha his head dropped and he walked off

Haha, you would have to be older than a Melbourne supporter!

DS

I think there might be a bit of this going on ,

We tend to just look at the 3 premierships and tend to overlook how good we were for most parts in 18 as well ,

It’s been a massive 4 years and to my eyes we look physically and mentally spent .

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Only 1931 comes up in my knowledge, might be others though. We seemed pretty good at losing Grand Finals back then: 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931 and 1933 :(

Haha, you would have to be older than a Melbourne supporter!

DS
yes im getting old lol but not that old :)

41 years a member and will still go.
Realistic that the way we are playing with such a poor performaning mid group that any side with multiple mids getting 30 touches will beat us at this moment as clearly tiges are currently playing poorly in ball.movement .
Most of us knew that our midfield wasn't that strong last 3 years due to injuries constantly to our best starting mids,nank,cotch,prestia, Soldo,Lambert, Edwards etc.

I think there might be a bit of this going on ,

We tend to just look at the 3 premierships and tend to overlook how good we were for most parts in 18 as well ,

It’s been a massive 4 years and to my eyes we look physically and mentally spent .
Yep, spot on. Several times Thursday night you could see it in their body language, poor buggers got nothing left in them

Reactions: 1 users
Has Geelong ever beaten us in a final on the way to one of their flags. They sure seem to be a team that we beat in finals on the way to ours.
The only Geelong premiership years in which Richmond made the finals are 1931 and 1937.
In 1931, we actually met twice and went 1-1 (we beat them in the Second Semi Final and lost to them in the Grand Final).
In 1937, we didn't meet them because we finished fourth and lost to Collingwood in the First Semi Final.

In 1980 we played Geelong with 33 year old kb destroying Geelong second week of finals, remember the local rag bragging that their gun defender mark bos wouldn't allow kb any space and had a cartoon of mark bos driving a western wagon running over kb,it's now history that kb played one of or the grestest half forward flank games

In 1980 we played Geelong with 33 year old kb destroying Geelong second week of finals, remember the local rag bragging that their gun defender mark bos wouldn't allow kb any space and had a cartoon of mark bos driving a western wagon running over kb,it's now history that kb played one of or the grestest half forward flank games
And KB never spoke to that cartoonist ever again.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users