Australian Flag banned at the BDO | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australian Flag banned at the BDO

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
RemoteTiger said:
Is Ken West a marketing genius?

All this free publicity for his event - the BDO - the press will be there - TV Cameras everywhere - thousands more will attend to have a ring side seat or to wear an Aussie flag in protest.

One drunken yobbo wearing an Aussie Flag as a cape - and it will be all over the news that night and in the following mornings papers. What great coverage and Ken West has not had to spend a cent!

The BDO will lose out from this IMO.
I know they say any publicity is good publicity but this incident has tarnished the event somewhat.
Well it certainly has in my eyes and I went every year until '04..
Expect some other company and 'alternative' concertny to spring up next year and begin to steal some of the BDOs thunder.
West is not a marketing guru, he's a fool.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
RemoteTiger said:

All this free publicity for his event - the BDO - the press will be there - TV Cameras everywhere - thousands more will attend to have a ring side seat or to wear an Aussie flag in protest.

One drunken yobbo wearing an Aussie Flag as a cape - and it will be all over the news that night and in the following mornings papers. What great coverage and Ken West has not had to spend a cent!

The sad issue is that Australia Society (Sydney in particular) through its growth and evolvution has undercurrents of racism and racist violent behaviour which makes Ken West's marketing exercise work!

Come to think of it Australia has always been like this - originally the English settlers and Officials against the Irish settlers - then against the Germans who settled the Barossa and Clare Valleys of South Australia - then against the European refugees from WWII (wogs the lot of 'em) - then the Asians (chinks or dim sims the lot of 'em) - then the subcontinent people (bloody towel heads) and now the middle eastern immigrants.

And down through our short history our treatment and tolerance of the Aborigine has been most gracious. Not!

We truly are not a very tolerant people - we reckon we are but in truth we are not!

Just a bit of support for RT here.
Ken West has tossed out the bait and reeled in quite a haul.

Our exhibited lack of tolerance doesn't just rest with ethnicity but, politics and religion as well:
Communists
Muslims
Jews
Greenies
Catholics

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Michael said:
RemoteTiger said:

The sad issue is that Australia Society (Sydney in particular) through its growth and evolvution has undercurrents of racism and racist violent behaviour which makes Ken West's marketing exercise work!

Come to think of it Australia has always been like this - originally the English settlers and Officials against the Irish settlers - then against the Germans who settled the Barossa and Clare Valleys of South Australia - then against the European refugees from WWII (wogs the lot of 'em) - then the Asians (chinks or dim sims the lot of 'em) - then the subcontinent people (bloody towel heads) and now the middle eastern immigrants.

And down through our short history our treatment and tolerance of the Aborigine has been most gracious. Not!

We truly are not a very tolerant people - we reckon we are but in truth we are not!

Just a bit of support for RT here.
Ken West has tossed out the bait and reeled in quite a haul.

Our exhibited lack of tolerance doesn't just rest with ethnicity but, politics and religion as well:
Communists
Muslims
Jews
Greenies
Catholics

Looking for some more fish to catch? I'll bite. ;D

Australian's are intolerant of all the minority groups you mentioned? ::)

Sorry Michael but that's just more radical left wing, PC balony.
FFS Australia/Australian's comprise all those minority group and our flag is supposed to unite us all, not divide.

If some nuffies choose to use the flag as a symbol of racism, why tar everyone with the same brush?
It is hypocritical to the enth degree.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Well done to the Snake Charmer for providing a more subtle and nuanced analysis than simply "I love my flag, I love my country".

The fact is that a flag (any flag) has the capacity to both unite and divide, depending on circumstances. There is a difference between national pride and aggressive nationalism. Think waving the flag at the cricket and wearing the flag as a cape while being involved in a race riot: exactly the same flag, completely different connotations. Yes, the national flag is a symbol for everyone, but it's also one people can use for their own purposes. Your local neo-Nazi gang are also very fond of using the Australian flag as a symbol for their abhorrent views.

Ken West obviously thinks he has an issue with aggressive nationalism at his event, even if he has tackled it in the wrong way. I don't think anyone can argue that thugs draped in Australian flags targetting minorities is anything but a negative association for a national symbol.

(And before certain people start up, the BNP use the flags of both the United Kingdom and England, as do football supporters overseas -- both while watching games (majority) and throwing cafe furniture at the local constabulary (minority). In the UK, however, there seems to be a greater understanding of the conflicting connotations displaying various flags can represent.)

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Ready and Tigersnake :clap :clap

Personally I find it rather ironic such a fuss is being made about Australia Day (and the flag) as it's only in the last decade or so it's become so important to the populous as a whole, indeed once upon a time we'd get a long weekend instead of celebrating on Jan 26th itself.

I remember being castigated for bothering to teach my classes about the signifigance of pre and post 26/1/1788.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
Liverpool said:
tigersnake said:
Yep, to me thats the key point.  I respect the flag.  I'd like to change it by removing the top left hand corner, but it is still my flag and I have a lot of respect for it.  To me, a aggressive bully staggering around draped in a flag intimidating people, opening stubbies with it, sitting on it, mopping his brow in the moshpit, is not good.

Security at an event like the BDO should target an aggressive bully, staggering around, intimidating people....whether he is wearing a flag or not.
Bannig/discouraging the flag at the event isn't going to stop these 'bullies' from attending and getting up to their usual hijinks.
You respect the flag because it's your flag...but you want to change it?
That's a contradiction and a half!  :-X

So if  they are wearing an aussie flag and punching people its 'hijinks', if its a Lebanese flag, what is it then?

As for the contradicion, yes it is, but like most people I'm not a cardboard cuttout stereotype.  Here's another one, I really hate Adelaide, but I like Ruccuito.

Who said anything about punching people? or said anything about a Lebanese flag?
You just said an aggressive bully intimidating people, nothing about physical violence.
But either way, these aggressive bullies will still be the same aggressive bullies, whether they have a flag draped around them or not.
I'm sure you would be the first to complain if I said we should ban the Aboriginal flag at certain events because of the Redfern and Palm Island violence, and that therefore the Aboriginal flag represents "gang colours" for the indigenous people here....what would you think about that generalisation?
I'm sure your posts would be completely different than the ones we are reading now, regarding the Australian flag.

Anduril said:
Personally I find it rather ironic such a fuss is being made about Australia Day (and the flag) as it's only in the last decade or so it's become so important to the populous as a whole, indeed once upon a time we'd get a long weekend instead of celebrating on Jan 26th itself.
I remember being castigated for bothering to teach my classes about the signifigance of pre and post 26/1/1788.

Anduril,
And why do you think that is?
Why is it only the last 10 years that has seen a more patriotic Australian walking around the place?

Maybe it's due to people who see such an influx of immigrants, who aren't willing to support this country in any way, and still support either their country of origin, or even the country of their parents.
Maybe it's because everyday Australians see the typical Aussie way, like simple rights to wear an Aussie flag to a rock concert, eroded, banned, and singled out....yet flags of other nations, even after the tennis biffo, are allowed.
Maybe it's because people see political-correctness/left-wing supporters crying out for tolerance, yet time and time again, we see people come to this country, who show no tolerance whatsoever, and even go as far as criticising and condemning this country and it's people.

While certain groups and individuals continue with these pandering ways towards minority groups, while ignoring and vilifying the majority of Australians, then all these groups/individuals are creating, are even more and more Aussies who will wear flags and know the words to their national anthem.

Anduril

You bow to no one!
Jul 29, 2004
Melbourne
Can't be bothered replying to posters who trot out the same old "left wingers, do gooders, political correctedness, latte sipping etc etc" jargon/perjoratives constantly. Lacks originality. :sleeping

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Liverpool said:
Maybe it's due to people who see such an influx of immigrants, who aren't willing to support this country in any way, and still support either their country of origin, or even the country of their parents.
Maybe it's because everyday Australians see the typical Aussie way, like simple rights to wear an Aussie flag to a rock concert, eroded, banned, and singled out....yet flags of other nations, even after the tennis biffo, are allowed.

Who said that flags of other countries should be allowed, supported whatever? I don't like that either, the tennis thing was ugly and the police, rightly, were quickly onto it after being caught off guard.  As always Liverpool, you're just setting up straw men, splitting hairs or lumping multiple issue together, positing strange improbable, irrelevent hypotheticals, depending on what suits.  Arguing with a stuck record, as I've said before, is pointless

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Just found this, its outrageous!!!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/chaser-case-ruled-a-joke/2007/01/23/1169330872127.html

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
sorry, the age edited out the best bit,

heres what I thought I was posting.  Poking fun at the snickometer is particularly offensive.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/chas-flags-his-innocence/2007/01/23/1169330870174.html

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Anduril said:
Can't be bothered replying to posters who trot out the same old "left wingers, do gooders, political correctedness, latte sipping etc etc" jargon/perjoratives constantly. Lacks originality. :sleeping

Anduril,
I'm afraid the forum rules don't allow me to use words that describe these "people" more accurately, so I'm sorry you'll have to 'tolerate' the unoriginal words I have used to describe them.
Maybe I'll need to borrow Curtis Bears thesaurus someday... :hihi (sorry Curtis!  ;D)
But I do applaud you for using this excuse as a deflection away from what I actually posted.
Maybe I wasn't too far off the truth, after all?

tigersnake said:
Liverpool said:
Who said that flags of other countries should be allowed, supported whatever? I don't like that either, the tennis thing was ugly and the police, rightly, were quickly onto it after being caught off guard.  As always Liverpool, you're just setting up straw men, splitting hairs or lumping multiple issue together, positing strange improbable, irrelevent hypotheticals, depending on what suits.  Arguing with a stuck record, as I've said before, is pointless

Tigersnake,
But other country's flags ARE allowed and ARE supported, whether you like that or not.
It is the AUSTRALIAN flag that is being singled out, in the nation of it's birth....that's the point of the whole debate!  ::)
To have it discouraged on Australia Day weekend, is the cherry on top of the cake.
Can you think of any other nation on this planet, where every other flag is given more right than its own nation's flag?
We are a laughing stock....and I'd be laughing too, if something like this wasn't so serious.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Anduril said:

Rock n' Roll is the ruin of a good public holiday.

Andy, shows how bad my education was, I thought Australia Day celebrated federation 26/1/1901

FightingFury

Its back to Brooke time again!
Nov 25, 2003
Richmond
Ready said:
Well done to the Snake Charmer for providing a more subtle and nuanced analysis than simply "I love my flag, I love my country".

The fact is that a flag (any flag) has the capacity to both unite and divide, depending on circumstances. There is a difference between national pride and aggressive nationalism. Think waving the flag at the cricket and wearing the flag as a cape while being involved in a race riot: exactly the same flag, completely different connotations. Yes, the national flag is a symbol for everyone, but it's also one people can use for their own purposes. Your local neo-Nazi gang are also very fond of using the Australian flag as a symbol for their abhorrent views.

Ken West obviously thinks he has an issue with aggressive nationalism at his event, even if he has tackled it in the wrong way. I don't think anyone can argue that thugs draped in Australian flags targetting minorities is anything but a negative association for a national symbol.

(And before certain people start up, the BNP use the flags of both the United Kingdom and England, as do football supporters overseas -- both while watching games (majority) and throwing cafe furniture at the local constabulary (minority). In the UK, however, there seems to be a greater understanding of the conflicting connotations displaying various flags can represent.)

All you've done there is convince me even more that its not the flag thats the issue.

A flag doesn't get drunk or assault anyone, its an aggressive human that does, why not just ban or oust drunken aggressive hooligans?
Do you believe anyone with a racist agenda won't carry out a tirade without the use of our national flag?
Come on :blah

I went to every BDO until last year dating back to 1999 and didn't see any gangs let alone any gangs with Australian flags.
Pissed and stoned youths galore I grant you ( drug problems anyone?) but militant nationals? :rofl

I do question how you can bring yourself to live out here sometimes Ready......one day we'll get a post about the virtues of Australia won't we? :headscratch

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Liverpool said:
To have it discouraged on Australia Day weekend, is the cherry on top of the cake.
Can you think of any other nation on this planet, where every other flag is given more right than its own nation's flag?
We are a laughing stock....and I'd be laughing too, if something like this wasn't so serious.

So if that's the cherry, what is the cake?  The whole godamn pinko shootin' match?

Liverpool, as is usually the case, your fundamental premise is incorrect.  If you can't see that, theres no piont arguing. Do you honestly believe that foreign flags are given more rights than the Australian Flag in Australia? That has gotta be up there with the top 5 most implausible statements I've ever read on PRE.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
struggletown3121 said:
I went to every BDO until last year dating back to 1999 and didn't see any gangs let alone any gangs with Australian flags.
Pissed and stoned youths galore I grant you ( drug problems anyone?) but militant nationals? :rofl

I agree.  Thats what I've been saying all through this thread, lots of boofheads wearing the Aussie flag as a cape at whatever event you care to name is a new thing.  Most on here semm to be saying the aussie flag is always a good thing no matter how its used and who is using it.  I say I don't like seeing violent thugs draped in our national flag.  It is happening a lot ST.  We aren't discussing a phantom phenomenon, or something that 1 or 2 people do. 

I also completely agree on the rolling laughing head re. militant nationals. They are'nt militant nationals, militant national tend to be a bit organised. These blokes are generally just pissed violent thugs using the flag to gain some approval.