Brendon Gale | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Brendon Gale

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Yes, keeping strict AFL control over the investigatory/report/consequences process when the indigenous group that have made the claims and complaints, directly expressed their desire for an independent body to be overseeing it, not the AFL. (Suggesting what?)

Predicted he would stay until the results were in. The terms of the inquiry are also perhaps predictably, not very clear in regard to its objectives.

For example the terms have quite a lot of emphasis on mediation, which can mean that it’s findings might be influenced by a desire to get the parties to kiss and make up.

I suspect such a result would be viewed by the inner sanctum as ideal, because it would save the Commission from having to make decisions about the futures of two present day coaches, and which might also reflect on the culture at Hawthorn over the period of the Kennett administration.

Away and haven’t been following the ins and outs, but as I understand it there is still doubt as to whether the impacted players and partners will agree to participate.

It must look very forbidding with all parties including the AFL now lawyered up but can’t help but feel that community has quite a bit to lose if all that was alleged is not now fully examined and reported on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Got me a feeling that maybe no-one with half a brain wants the poisoned chalice that is AFL house at the moment. So much garbage n raw sewage floating around HQ that the contenders would rather get splinters up their collective arses sitting on the fence rather than try to swim through the *smile*.

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Yep, its clear to anyone outside the AFL that Benny is the right man for the job. But the AFL is corrupt to the core and I don't think anyone on the commission has any intention of changing that.
Yeah this. I found a couple of AMs comments interesting. Firstly that he finds it odd that Benny isn't a walk up start. Here on PRE we don't. You can conclude that from casual observation, and confirm that by reading The Boys Club that he joint stinks.

Benny wouldn't fit in, thats not the way he operates.

Secondly the point that Benny might be on the nose because he stood up to the AFL, when that should be a positive if they are looking for a strong candidate, was a good one.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If the Commish get a fair bit of negative press for not seriously considering the best candidate for the CEO's role, they are going to hate Benny even more.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Whats most odd about this whole situation, at least to me anyway, is the lack of coverage amongst the media. All we are getting is a few throw-away sentences buried paragraphs deep in other articles.

You’d think that a so called ‘war’ between the AFL and one of its most successful clubs would warrant at least one dedicated story? Instead we get vague, uncorroborated allusions to conflicts that have spanned multiples seasons from so-called journalists. The fact this ‘conflict’ is potentially influencing the appointment of the next CEO and hence the future of the game deserves more coverage than it’s getting.

To Wilson, Edmonds, McClure and co. Put up or shut up! Write the *smile* story you cowards or do what Barrett did and officially join the AFL and stop the pretense of being “independent, always” or whatever other shitty slogan your dying media outlet uses to help you sleep at night.

Reactions: 9 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Whats most odd about this whole situation, at least to me anyway, is the lack of coverage amongst the media. All we are getting is a few throw-away sentences buried paragraphs deep in other articles.

You’d think that a so called ‘war’ between the AFL and one of its most successful clubs would warrant at least one dedicated story? Instead we get vague, uncorroborated allusions to conflicts that have spanned multiples seasons from so-called journalists. The fact this ‘conflict’ is potentially influencing the appointment of the next CEO and hence the future of the game deserves more coverage than it’s getting.

To Wilson, Edmonds, McClure and co. Put up or shut up! Write the *smile* story you cowards or do what Barrett did and officially join the AFL and stop the pretense of being “independent, always” or whatever other shitty slogan your dying media outlet uses to help you sleep at night.
Call Mick Warner.
Its *smile* that the AFL hate us because the covid crap in 2020.
They have always hated us. I once asked Demertiou, what he thought about us. His response left me speechless.
'They shouldn't finish last'.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Got me a feeling that maybe no-one with half a brain wants the poisoned chalice that is AFL house at the moment. So much garbage n raw sewage floating around HQ that the contenders would rather get splinters up their collective arses sitting on the fence rather than try to swim through the *smile*.

Take a different view.

If Gale gets the gig some of the more blatantly poor decisions that have adversely impacted on our game (like for example the stand rule), will be reviewed.
It may or may not be changed but following, at least any similarly significant changes will only be introduced after planning, trialing and consultation.

We won’t be favoured but we won’t be shafted either!

Gale will want the job and be keen to see the crap does not continue.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I have a question... do we even know if BG is interested?

I hate to say it as he's been great for us but Gale is exactly the clean the AFL House needs.

which is probably why he won't get it. The AFL is a boys club and would wanna protect it. BG would shake things up.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Everyone in the AFL bubble is just used to the AFL being the way it is and mostly accepts it. The normal standards of governance and accountability don't apply, partly expectation and culture, partly because its a unique organisation, partly everyone knowing where their bread is buttered. Dodgy and slack is normal, something really bad has to happen for it to generate some press.

For example Caro made a few comments, some pretty barbed, about Hocking doing the Geelong - AFL Boss who changes the rules - back to Geelong shuffle. There was no doubt she thought it stank. But what can she realistically do, apart from mentioning it? Its not illegal. If she pursues it the boys club just gang-up and she's dismissed as a Richmond shill.

Reactions: 6 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I have a question... do we even know if BG is interested?
That IS the question I reckon. Sometime ago I heard Balmey speaking about the situation and he gave the impression that Brendon was maybe not as captivated as some would imagine.

I've said it numerous times on here before. ..... 'he's on a hiding to nothin', getting that job.

Every single decision which involves us ..... even if not made by him.... will be ridiculously scrutinized by the masses.

FFS..... Richard Goyder and his flunkies didn’t even trust themselves to select a suitable candidate, they've had to get their golden boy to negotiate their major revenue stream years in advance!

Why would he go work in that set up?!

Reactions: 3 users

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Reckon he still wants the job. It is the biggest job in AFL, maybe Australian sports management. BG is ambitious. I hope he gets it but don't think he will.

Reactions: 4 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
When there is delayed silence it usually means that they have a candidate in mind, but that person is not ready to be announced due to commitments at their current role. With no other activity being conducted, there is nothing to report other than wait for time to pass. This leads to the high probability it is a candidate from the corporate world, or a global sporting organisation, and not within the current AFL system.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I thought the last words out of the AFL that they had engaged an international headhunter to find suitable candidates?

Reactions: 1 user

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I thought the last words out of the AFL that they had engaged an international headhunter to find suitable candidates?
That means that they’ve got a mate in new zealand who could use some extra cash and will do what they tell him

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I thought the last words out of the AFL that they had engaged an international headhunter to look in their own back yard?
Fixed it for ya Balooga bear. AFL honcho's happy to bin half a million $ to find a local who understands Aussie rules n has all the necessary internal connections. Not a chance in hell they're gunna bring in some jumped up foreigner to show them how to suck.

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I hate to say it as he's been great for us but Gale is exactly the clean the AFL House needs.

But, but, he is ours, it is all about being selfish and not letting him go anywhere;)

Jeez he speaks well in latest club video, the way he is pumping up Tassie he may just as well run for Premier there.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users