Changes vs Swans | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes vs Swans

Y’all (except tigers2011) are missing the elephant in the room.

Nankervis isn’t equipped to generate clearances, only nullify them.

In 2023 you MUST be able to generate territory from clearance or you allow the oppo to press hard with confidence.

We are being exploited in the middle at every opportunity and are very easy to play against at the moment. Yes, we still scrap and hustle, but we cannot compete with the meta.

Nankervis must be “managed”. He must develop a niggle for at least a month. Miller takes his place and Ryan stays. Pickett pinch hits. We need mobility and unpredictability now.

In addressing our chronic needs:

IN: Miller, MRJ
OUT: Nankervis (managed), Graham

Rotate Cumbo, Bolton, Clarke, MRJ and Martin through that centre set up for unpredictability. Use Hopper in that defensive role Graham plays.

The selection committee won’t blink if last week is any indication. Interesting times.
Seriously, what type of drugs are you on? This is just speculation wrapped in some pseudo intellectual crap. Nankervis is as much of a chance of being dropped as I have of cutting off the kids easter egg supply this weekend.
Nankervis is second in total hit outs, third in average per game and up until 4 days ago, was third in hit outs to advantage. I can't get stats for the league after this round, yet.
Apart from this he's one of the leading tacklers in the league. Not just in rucks, league wide. He's a co- captain. Which, "within the 4 walls" means something to the guys in the Stripey jumpers. You don't fake "niggles" to your captain to have them sit out a month, especially after round 4.
What the hell message does that send to the rest of the club. You have no integrity? You lack the guts to make a call? You can't create a game plan around the list you have? You would rather lie, than back your own players in? Back in your captain?
Recruiting a mid to put in the middle, paying top dollar, then asking them to play like a role player....seriously?
Yep, we're playing like amateurs against pros. Yep we're a middle of the road team....have been for a few years now.
But this type of post is bottom of the ladder *smile*.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Seriously, what type of drugs are you on? This is just speculation wrapped in some pseudo intellectual crap. Nankervis is as much of a chance of being dropped as I have of cutting off the kids easter egg supply this weekend.
Nankervis is second in total hit outs, third in average per game and up until 4 days ago, was third in hit outs to advantage. I can't get stats for the league after this round, yet.
Apart from this he's one of the leading tacklers in the league. Not just in rucks, league wide. He's a co- captain. Which, "within the 4 walls" means something to the guts in the Stripey jumpers. You don't fake "niggles" to your captain to have them sit out a month, especiallyafter round 4.
What the hell message does that send to the rest of the club. You have no integrity? You lack the guts to make a call? You can't create a game plan around the list you have? You would rather lie, than back your own players in? Back in your captain?
Recruiting a mid to put in the middle, paying top dollar, then asking them to play like a role player....seriously?
Yep, we're playing like amateurs against pros. Yep we're a middle of the road team....have been for a few years now.
But this type of post is bottom of the ladder *smile*.
Lol maybe just watch the game. And shove those stats up your clacker.

Nank is cooked, muppet. Anyone can - and should - be able to see this.

Will be ‘managed’ for a game or two as soon as Soldo is fit and ready. Not much else we can do.

I would try a mobile type like Miller but probs won’t happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Think we need to go with Bauer and Samson stays in for ruck support.

Out: Lynch, Graham, Clarke
In: Bauer, Riewoldt, Cotchin

Clarke sub.
Don't think Clarke will go out as 20 and a goal is considered elite,sub at worst.

Reactions: 1 users

Will be ‘managed’ for a game or two as soon as Soldo is fit and ready. Not much else we can do.

Nank had coaches votes in the first 3 games

Reactions: 5 users

Nank is going at 5.3 clearances per game which is elite and just under 17 touches per game.
Maybe we consider that against a finer smaller nimble midfield that we don't put hopper taranto in together, bolton in there makes it a better match against the dogs,
Where against Carlton it suited .

Let’s get real, Nank is a shadow of his former self.

We are trialling a new game plan but Nank seems at odds with it all.

Folks can throw up stats but to my eye he gives away too many frees, can’t jump, is more fumbly than usual, can’t provide a dangerous forward option and isn’t taking his usual towering defensive grabs.

Game is too quick for undersized combat ruckmen.

You need tall, athletic freaks these days.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I think we only have Jack, Bauer, Ross, MJ, Green, Miller and Banks available from outside the 23 on Saturday. So at least two of those will have to play and three be emergencies if we don't get anyone back. Possibly only two available players not playing or an emergency this week.

Must win game. Would love to see Bauer get his chance but without Lynch Jack will come into the 23.
In Miller Riewoldt
Out Graham Lynch, (one injured, the other injured and crucified).

B Young Balta Grimes
HB Baker Vlastuin Rioli D,
C McIntosh Hooper Pickett
HF Cumberland Miller Mansell
F Martin Ryan Bolton
R Nankervis Taranto Prestia
I/C Clarke Cotchin Ralphsmith Sonsie
Sub Riewoldt.

Pity we don't have any of those available just at the moment. Guess we'll just have to annoy the crap out of you n muddle along with Nank for a little bit longer.

Must win game. Would love to see Bauer get his chance but without Lynch Jack will come into the 23.
In Miller Riewoldt
Out Graham Lynch, (one injured, the other injured and crucified).

B Young Balta Grimes
HB Baker Vlastuin Rioli D,
C McIntosh Hooper Pickett
HF Cumberland Miller Mansell
F Martin Ryan Bolton
R Nankervis Taranto Prestia
I/C Clarke Cotchin Ralphsmith Sonsie
Sub Riewoldt.
Jaaack as the sub? FMD that'd be an utter waste of his talent and the sub rule. Jaaack either plays as Lynchmans replacement key forward or not at all. Neither of Funky or Samsung are ready as yet to hold down both key forward spots without some support or guidance from the likes of Jaaack or Lynch.

Reactions: 2 users
Jaaack as the sub? FMD that'd be an utter waste of his talent and the sub rule. Jaaack either plays as Lynchmans replacement key forward or not at all. Neither of Funky or Samsung are ready as yet to hold down both key forward spots without some support or guidance from the likes of Jaaack or Lynch.
Well that would be the popular view no doubt, and will almost certainly prevail. I'd prefer him
coming on in the second half, with energy levels intact and ready to go.
After thought... Dimma could tell Miller and Ryan that they are only likely to get a half and fire them up as well!

Well that would be the popular view no doubt, and will almost certainly prevail. I'd prefer him
coming on in the second half, with energy levels intact and ready to go.
After thought... Dimma could tell Miller and Ryan that they are only likely to get a half and fire them up as well!
So you're happy to have as sub a bloke who can only play as a key forward???? Wouldn't want to have a running back or grunt mid go down during the game.
Start Jaaack as a key forward, he takes the early game heat and if he struggles you could bring a tall interchange like Funky or Samsung into his position while raw they both have support ruck or defender capabilities to their games and a medium sized sub would then still be there to support for other areas of the ground.

I am anti Jack this year.....but even I am giving Jack a game in the goal square this week.

Another good point. But there are no quality grunts left to select although Dow is a possibility (as 23)?

With my selection you would have Mansell, McIntosh and Raphsmith, not named there, who could go back and Clarke and Sonsie with the speed to keep up in the midfield. Not ideal but we have to rely on Prestia, Hooper, Taranto and Cotch to at least break even.

Still like Jack coming on in the second half and giving his best rather than dividing that up over 4 qrs.

Nank is going at 5.3 clearances per game which is elite and just under 17 touches per game.
Maybe we consider that against a finer smaller nimble midfield that we don't put hopper taranto in together, bolton in there makes it a better match against the dogs,
Where against Carlton it suited .
Oh dear. Those pesky useless stats. It's amazing the coaching staff can't see how poor his performances have been, and how he's completely failing to deliver what they want.

"Nank had coaches votes in the first 3 games".
Dear oh dear. Our poor deluded coaching staff. Why can't they see what the omnipotent on PRE can? I mean, it's almost like they're specifically asking him to play this way.

Let’s get real, Nank is a shadow of his former self.

We are trialling a new game plan but Nank seems at odds with it all.

Folks can throw up stats but to my eye he gives away too many frees, can’t jump, is more fumbly than usual, can’t provide a dangerous forward option and isn’t taking his usual towering defensive grabs.

Nank has always given away lots of frees - combat ruckman do this. He plays on the edge, and whether through aggression or clumsiness, gives away many a game. I find it annoying, and undisciplined, particularly for a captain.
However, he's averaging 1.5 frees against this year, versus 2.6 last year and 1.9 across his career.
His marking is down, 2 a game which is the lowest it's been since his Sydney days. Errors (clangers) are down as well 3.2 v 4.8 (3rd in league) and 4.4 the past two years (3.8 career average).

I don't see our coaching team "managing" a captain out of the 22. If he's not performing better than a Soldo, Miller, Biggy etc, then drop him. Make a statement. Set some standards. I don't think the numbers back that approach.

Lynchy out, whether by the surgeons blade,

Or The AFL long corrupt arm,

Is an opportunity.

Saints are undefeated with a once-conventional forward line (once, being 2017)

We gotta make Dusty the man.

Name him Full-forward, play him Full-forward, and kick it to him and let him go to work.

jack becomes his foil, mrj does his defence.

The FF line is all about Dusty.

Hardly a sporting revolution to hitch your wagon to the greatest player in the world.

MRJ. dusty Jack

Then half-forward

cumbo. Sampa (changing with Nank) Clarke

Speed, Pizzaz, muscle, pack-crunching of yesterweek, and finishing class

Sampa is no shrinking violet - he competes

Cumbo. sampa Clarke

mRJ Dusty JR.

But its all about dusty.

One dimensionality and predictability are back in fashion

Reactions: 2 users