We can't hide from the fact we have a discipline problem | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

We can't hide from the fact we have a discipline problem

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I thought it was a clear tactic from Brisbane on Friday to get in our faces. and it worked. 4 x 50m penalties in the first half. 5 goals from free kicks in a game we lost by 15 points. Brisbane didn't win the game. we lost it because we couldn't control our behaviour.

Yes, the umpiring was appalling, especially the HTB interpretation, but it didn’t cost us the game. our lack of discipline cost us the game. a similar thing happened during the Port game. we were in it at 3/4 time until a few stupid acts handed them the 4 points.

Dimma did mention this in his post game presser, so the club is clearly aware of the problem. But its much harder to control it once white line fever hits. And we need to find a way to control it. Our season depends on it. I have no doubt St Kilda will try the same tactic this week. And you can take it to the bank Port will the week after.

Reactions: 7 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
2 50s had nothing to do with them getting in our face. The umps were trigger happy. There were numerous instances over the weekend of players disposing after the whistle but we were the only team penalised.

Reactions: 13 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
2 50s had nothing to do with them getting in our face. The umps were trigger happy. There were numerous instances over the weekend of players disposing after the whistle but we were the only team penalised.

doesn't matter. the Dumpire isn't gonna change his mind, so just get on with it.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Part of the reason we've had such an imbalance of frees most games is because we've pushed the fringes of the rough, anti social, intimidating footy for a few years. There's always a certain amount of strut n swagger that comes with being dominant on field for a few years n there's always a period where up n coming sides will get jack of being manhandled n push back hard. Pordadalayde n Brisvegas have both pushed back this year, ( perfect opportunity as we've been undermanned with a core group missing for a large period of the season ). Not surprising we've been somewhat sucked in by the push back n as usual the maggots always nail the retaliator not the instigator.
Pretty sure Dimma n the boys will have no problem pulling our game back to within the discipline boundaries without losing our hardened edge, we're only a fraction off the acceptable as it is. It'll be more of an issue as to how much the maggots are now influenced by all the media hype n whether they start jumping all over us.
Three finals to go n there's still going to be some in the face physical action from the challengers, we'll need to expect it n stand strong without getting sucked into the garbage, comes with the territory of being the best over recent years.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
The poor discipline that has been evident on occasions this year, was costly against Port, and now arguably cost us a QF last Friday, has on occasion been led by Trent. When things aren’t quite going our way, he is prone to the odd frustrated head high tackle (free against) and extended wrestle / push and shove.
Occasionally, this can be constructive. Lately, it’s been counterproductive, costing us in terms of free kick/s, but most importantly setting a bad example.
If the captain’s doing it, it’s an invitation for others to vent their frustration. Dusty and Caddy v Port. Shai, Marlion & co v Lions.
No wonder Dimma was irate after the Lions loss, knowing that the frees cost us vital momentum and probably the match, and a saloon passage through the finals.
But this team ill discipline problem is squarely his responsibility, and his anger should be at least in part directed at himself for failing to stamp it out.
Perhaps it’s in part because, due to his special relationship with Trent (and Dusty), he has not been able to recognise their occasional discipline short comings, or if he has, been unable to have the hard chat to them about it - finding it easier to go off at lesser lights like Caddy.
Overall Trent’s leadership has been very good but he is not without his discipline blemishes, and he needs to accept he is part of the team problem and not shrug it off as a one-off aberration.
There was so much to play for on Friday night, and to put a shot at a premiership in jeopardy from undisciplined acts was very disappointing.
Trent and Dimma need to stamp their authority on this issue, and Trent needs to do better and lead by example.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I thought it was a clear tactic from Brisbane on Friday to get in our faces. and it worked. 4 x 50m penalties in the first half. 5 goals from free kicks in a game we lost by 15 points. Brisbane didn't win the game. we lost it because we couldn't control our behaviour.

Yes, the umpiring was appalling, especially the HTB interpretation, but it didn’t cost us the game. our lack of discipline cost us the game. a similar thing happened during the Port game. we were in it at 3/4 time until a few stupid acts handed them the 4 points.

Dimma did mention this in his post game presser, so the club is clearly aware of the problem. But its much harder to control it once white line fever hits. And we need to find a way to control it. Our season depends on it. I have no doubt St Kilda will try the same tactic this week. And you can take it to the bank Port will the week after.

Good post. Watched the replay and other than the dusty one they were all there. The HTB was poor but the umpires didn't cost us, as you suggest we let them get under our skin and take our focus off the game. Zorko is a short arse *smile* but we can't let that change the way we play.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
As much as I didn't like the lack of discipline on Friday night I have been encouraged by the noises that have come out of the camp since. There has been a lot of " ok the opposition were terrific , we stuffed up but we are still alive and we are getting on with the challenge" .

Clearly part of that is don't retaliate and don't take the bait. No doubt St Kilda will want to get under our skin this week.

Reactions: 4 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
The poor discipline that has been evident on occasions this year, was costly against Port, and now arguably cost us a QF last Friday, has on occasion been led by Trent. When things aren’t quite going our way, he is prone to the odd frustrated head high tackle (free against) and extended wrestle / push and shove.
Occasionally, this can be constructive. Lately, it’s been counterproductive, costing us in terms of free kick/s, but most importantly setting a bad example.
If the captain’s doing it, it’s an invitation for others to vent their frustration. Dusty and Caddy v Port. Shai, Marlion & co v Lions.
No wonder Dimma was irate after the Lions loss, knowing that the frees cost us vital momentum and probably the match, and a saloon passage through the finals.
But this team ill discipline problem is squarely his responsibility, and his anger should be at least in part directed at himself for failing to stamp it out.
Perhaps it’s in part because, due to his special relationship with Trent (and Dusty), he has not been able to recognise their occasional discipline short comings, or if he has, been unable to have the hard chat to them about it - finding it easier to go off at lesser lights like Caddy.
Overall Trent’s leadership has been very good but he is not without his discipline blemishes, and he needs to accept he is part of the team problem and not shrug it off as a one-off aberration.
There was so much to play for on Friday night, and to put a shot at a premiership in jeopardy from undisciplined acts was very disappointing.
Trent and Dimma need to stamp their authority on this issue, and Trent needs to do better and lead by example.

It’s a fine line though
The deliberate free kick he (and Prestia) gave away when pummelling Mummy in the first qtr of last years GF was a bloody ripper

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I do think they need to reign it in a bit at times. Some of the 50m penalties we just absurd and very similar situations were not paid 50 in other games that I saw some of.

I also wonder about the 2 50m penalties and that both were awarded against Shai and Marlion, both indigenous. Makes me wonder what was said to them to get such a reaction.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I do think they need to reign it in a bit at times. Some of the 50m penalties we just absurd and very similar situations were not paid 50 in other games that I saw some of.

I also wonder about the 2 50m penalties and that both were awarded against Shai and Marlion, both indigenous. Makes me wonder what was said to them to get such a reaction.

DS

Shai kicked the ball away after the whistle. 50m. Nothing needs to be said other than "idiot". Marlion went for a big bump when play had stopped. Seemed like the sort of bump he always tries to land in the game, but the game had stopped. 50m.

If you ask me it was pure frustration and ill discipline.

But unlike the OP, I don't think we have a discipline problem. We had an issue with it Friday night, but it's not a systemic problem.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Shai kicked the ball away after the whistle. 50m. Nothing needs to be said other than "idiot". Marlion went for a big bump when play had stopped. Seemed like the sort of bump he always tries to land in the game, but the game had stopped. 50m.

If you ask me it was pure frustration and ill discipline.

But unlike the OP, I don't think we have a discipline problem. We had an issue with it Friday night, but it's not a systemic problem.

Tend to agree but Pickett did look mighty pissed off about something when he gave away the second 50, at the time I was wondering if something was said.

Don't really remember the first 50 and don't have a replay, but the second did look like an over-reaction from Marlion which I thought was strange.

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What are we going to do?
Allow worms like Robinson and turds like Zorko push us around.
They were trigger happy for Brisbane, but not for us.
Robinson drops the ball doing virtually the same thing Big V did and its called play on.
Brisbane kick the ball to the boundary, throw it in.
We did it, its paid deliberate.
Cameron drags the ball back in, play on.
Why wasn't Balta given a free kick after Robinson jumped into him?
Why wasn't Riewodlt paid a Blocking free kick when Rich looked at him instead of the ball.
Gale needs to cop the 25k fine and unleash.
If we got looked after just half of what Collingwood does, we wouldve won that game again like the previous 15 times.
Real football people know Brisbane didn't beat us. They struggled to a 2 goal win on the back of 6 free kicks that shouldve been called play on and 2 of the best 50 metre penalties you will see in a game of footy.
Thats why im not angry. We lost on the influence of the umpire's

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
What are we going to do?
Allow worms like Robinson and turds like Zorko push us around.
They were trigger happy for Brisbane, but not for us.
Robinson drops the ball doing virtually the same thing Big V did and its called play on.
Brisbane kick the ball to the boundary, throw it in.
We did it, its paid deliberate.
Cameron drags the ball back in, play on.
Why wasn't Balta given a free kick after Robinson jumped into him?
Why wasn't Riewodlt paid a Blocking free kick when Rich looked at him instead of the ball.
Gale needs to cop the 25k fine and unleash.
If we got looked after just half of what Collingwood does, we wouldve won that game again like the previous 15 times.
Real football people know Brisbane didn't beat us. They struggled to a 2 goal win on the back of 6 free kicks that shouldve been called play on and 2 of the best 50 metre penalties you will see in a game of footy.
Thats why im not angry. We lost on the influence of the umpire's
This is my feeling too. After watching the other games it highlighted to me that it was just US that got umpired differently.
Although I reckon the eaglesmight have a bit of a gripe this week about the umps, but its rare for them to be on the recieving end.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
This is my feeling too. After watching the other games it highlighted to me that it was just US that got umpired differently.
Although I reckon the eaglesmight have a bit of a gripe this week about the umps, but its rare for them to be on the recieving end.

We got targeted by the umpires thanks to Brisbane media blitz.
Zorko and Fagan kept saying to the media they are expecting us to be "chirpy", Tigers are going to sledge us poor brisbane boys because of our poor goal kicking, Richmond are going to get stuck into us and get physical. blah, blah, blah. there were a few articles about this in the media.
The umpires took note and wouldn't give us a inch. Umpires might have been concerned it was going to get out of hand so decided to pentalise us early.

We got played.

• Angry

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Tend to agree but Pickett did look mighty pissed off about something when he gave away the second 50, at the time I was wondering if something was said.

Don't really remember the first 50 and don't have a replay, but the second did look like an over-reaction from Marlion which I thought was strange.

DS
Pickett wore two arm bands didn't he?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Dimma saying the umps were trigger happy he meant we got reamed by the umps

Dimma saying we need to be more disciplined he meant the players need to expect a reaming and cop it silently

Reactions: 7 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If it is going to cost us a game by retaliating then yes we should

I was always taught to get even when the ball is in play. Make sure the next tackle/bump hurts. Make sure it's legal but hit hard. If you need too, let your teammates know that an opponent needs a bit of extra TLC.

Plenty of ways to get back on top without penalising the team.

Reactions: 4 users

Mantikorr

Tiger Superstar
Apr 26, 2006
Dimma saying the umps were trigger happy he meant we got reamed by the umps

Dimma saying we need to be more disciplined he meant the players need to expect a reaming and cop it silently
Pretty sure the trigger happy reference was for the kicking away after a free. How are players supposed to know which was the free is going in a split second? Shai was entitled to have a ping at the goals if/when he heard the whistle if the umpires hadn't called out which way the free was going. No leniency or feel for the game these umps

Reactions: 1 user