Christianity | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Christianity

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
Hey jayfox man, whats it like having one of your sort holding the balance of power in the senate?

eight ace

I live a life of well fed idleness
Feb 24, 2004
My comment was, of course, very much tongue in cheek. You really didn't think I was being serious did you? It was intended to make those who would have such beliefs reflect on them a little. That is, how on earth can anyone talk about a rape victim developing a "relationship" with a resulting child? It is a breathtakingly repugnant world view. Yet someone on this thread has done just that.

cassady

You took my dreams from me when i first found you
Nov 22, 2004
Floating
Jayfox, whats yr view on consumption of alcohol? It says in the bible not to, but u indicate that u enjoy a beer.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
eight ace said:
My comment was, of course, very much tongue in cheek. You really didn't think I was being serious did you? It was intended to make those who would have such beliefs reflect on them a little. That is, how on earth can anyone talk about a rape victim developing a "relationship" with a resulting child? It is a breathtakingly repugnant world view. Yet someone on this thread has done just that.

Apologies 8ace.  I should have known better.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
jayfox said:
Phantom said:
jayfox said:
rosy said:
I'm not meaning to open a can or worms here but pedophiles are the scum of the earth in my opinion.  Would priests who stoop to such low acts do so because they know they can be remorseful, till the next time, and all will be forgiven by the God they believe in?

I agree Rosy that pedophiles are the scum of the Earth and if it was up to me I would annihilate them. However, if a pedophile was to truly repent and change his ways then God would forgive him. That is the absolutely amazing thing about God's grace. He will forgive us no matter what we have done and all we have to do is ask for it. We are never too far away from God for him to accept us.  I also do not believe in paying pennance for sins as Jesus taught us in the New Testament that he had paid the penalty for our sins so it was no longer necessary.

Those 3 sentences have inspired more crimes against humanity than I have time in my life to write about. "I can do what I want when I want in the name of God, and if crimes are committed in the process then I will beg for God's forgiveness and get it."

Sheesh!  ::)

Then I would suggest Phantom that they are not 'truly' repentant and would not be forgiven. You can not fool God. He knows what is in your heart and will judge accordingly regardless of how many other people you can fool.
Furthermore, Religions get very unfairly judged by an absolute minority of extremists who follow the suggestion that you have stated above. There is no question that numerous disgraceful acts have been done in the name of Christianity or Islam etc. but in my opinion those people have completely missed the teachings of their faith and are after a vehicle for their own agenda.

Yes, these people may not be forgiven.
Unfortunately it doesn't stop the damage that they do in the Lord's name whilst they are on earth.

Personally I like Mick Jagger's interpretation of it in "Far Away Eyes".

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
cassady said:
Jayfox, whats yr view on consumption of alcohol?  It says in the bible not to, but u indicate that u enjoy a beer.

Cassady,
Where did you get that from in the Bible?
I thought Jesus made wine out of water, or something....or have I read an old edition, and need an updated version now? ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
cassady said:
Jayfox, whats yr view on consumption of alcohol?  It says in the bible not to, but u indicate that u enjoy a beer.

Instead of just interrogating jay why don't you add your own opinions to the discussion?

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney
Well I'm not a religious person but I'm very spiritual. I don't believe God is a man, woman or even comes close to resembling a human form. We are all energy beings and every living thing is made up of energy that vibrates at different frequencies. To me, God is the omnipotent Universal force/consciousness and unconditional love which can be found deep within us all (yes even axe murderers have it, and yes we are all connected in some way). You can draw on that incredible unconditional love anytime you like as its all within YOU. Meditation (and prayer) will help you find it. I think Brian put it best, "You are all individuals. You don't NEED to follow anyone!!". But each to their own.

I also believe in reincarnation and that every experience we have is for the sole purpose of learning and ultimately becoming a better person/achieving enlightenment. Karma plays a critical role in this as for every cause there is an effect. That is why some people seem to "breeze" through life while others seem to suffer repeated traumas. Every experience is a valuable lesson and every person we meet is our teacher. We move on only when our lessons have been learnt.

I totally agree that the only way to inner peace is through forgiveness. However, I don't see why you need to go to Church to be rubber stamped by a man in a cloak to receive it. True forgiveness can only come from within. After all, you are in control of your own thoughts, feelings and emotions and its your choice as to whether you live a life filled with anger or guilt, or whether you ultimately free yourself through forgiveness.

As for the world being a better place if everyone lived by the Bible, I personally think that is absurd. For a start, there's no way I'm giving 10% of my wages to a Church!!! That's not about greed either as I happily give my hard earned cash to worthy charities and those in genuine need. I think organised religion is the cause of much human suffering. You only have to look at Port Moresby to see the relative ease with which rape and murder are regularly committed because the perpetrators believe that by turning up to Church each week and confessing their sins all is forgiven!!! Its like an official green light to go and do it all again (and sadly they do).

IMO, the only way we will EVER find peace in this world is by all of us living our lives through heartfelt love and compassion. :hearton

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Crystal said:
That is why some people seem to "breeze" through life while others seem to suffer repeated traumas. Every experience is a valuable lesson and every person we meet is our teacher. We move on only when our lessons have been learnt.

I don't get it. I've had plenty of trauma in my life. Why is it so? :help

Crystal

Tiger Champion
May 5, 2005
Sydney
rosy said:
Crystal said:
That is why some people seem to "breeze" through life while others seem to suffer repeated traumas. Every experience is a valuable lesson and every person we meet is our teacher. We move on only when our lessons have been learnt.

I don't get it. I've had plenty of trauma in my life. Why is it so? :help

Likewise Rosy. Its just the process we must go through to release karma (mostly from previous lives) and from which we learn and grow. Its just that some people learn quicker than others!

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Just out of interest Crystal,if you had to label yourself would you say you're a 'gnostic'?

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I've tried to keep away from this topic but it's too tempting. ;D  Personally I'm agnostic, which is probably due to the fact I was brought up RC and they literally put the fear of god into you. Too much stuff happens in the world for me to not question if there is a god. On a world scale down to local, wars to pedophile priests. To me, it seems God's laws are created, changed and perverted by man (sorry ladies, but most have been by men  :) ) Examples like Henry VIII creating his own church so he can divorce, the catholic church protecting their priest from criminal charges etc.
I understand that a lot of people take comfort in their religion, especially in tough times and that's great. I'm not here to denigrate people's personal beliefs, except when they are bigoted, racist or in similar ways.
I went to the Vatican City about 5 years ago and was amazed by it's opulance, works of art, gold etc. Outside the walls, there were beggars. It sort of hit home the hypocrisy of everything. I asked myself "Why does God need money, gold, works of art etc?" .I guess that also mainly reflects on those evangelical preachers you see on tv early in the morning. Sorry but I have to laugh and just shake my head at those characters.
Anyway, a question I want to ask those with christian beliefs, not just Jayfox. There was a guy who I used to work with who was a committed christian, but very bigoted when it came to other religions, who gave me his answer to this and it made me think, how could God be so unfair. The question is: there are 2 people, one is a cold blooded killer, mass murderer, basically an evil person all his life. He is executed but before he dies, he asks for forgiveness from God. The second person is an atheist. All his life he has only done good. Served the community, saved lives etc. He has never believed in God. He dies. Which one of them goes to heaven?