Clubs delistings | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Clubs delistings

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'm concerned this isn't just a 1 year issue. Lynch and Dusty are here for a long time to come yet.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
taztiger4 said:
Blair Hartley on Talking Tigers just confirmed we will most likely only take 4 in ND so 38 only on main list

4 only? We got rid of 10 and just brought in lynch, what's Hartley thinking.
I want 9 new kids on the list.
We won't find anyone with quality with only 4 picks. At least with 9 our chances improve.

I'm with others the Martin & lynch $$$$ we come back and bite us on the ass.
If we don't win the flag next year, we must have a GWS type clearance sale. Edwards Rance houli Grigg McIntosh

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The_General said:
I'm concerned this isn't just a 1 year issue. Lynch and Dusty are here for a long time to come yet.
Not necessarily.
We've got our premium core players for the next couple of years while we are right in the premiership window.
We've cleaned out a mass of mature fringe players who weren't going anywhere, making room for our young developers to step up to 2019 / 2020 seasons.
We'll take a swathe of kids this year and next to develop up, with a view to them coming on in 21 / 22 seasons.

It's not Dusty, Lynch n Presty that are a worry, they'll be key players for another five or six years. They're the foundations we'll continue to develop upon. Cotch, Jaaack, Tross, Grigga, Bash, Shedda will all be close enough to done by end 2022. As the first of them start to fade out there'll be some shekels for our younger players to earn a pay rise. The kids we draft n develop over the next couple of years won't be a genuine cost factor, nor will trying to buy in another " star quality " until our older guns are finishing anyway.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
TigerMasochist said:
Not necessarily.
We've got our premium core players for the next couple of years while we are right in the premiership window.
We've cleaned out a mass of mature fringe players who weren't going anywhere, making room for our young developers to step up to 2019 / 2020 seasons.
We'll take a swathe of kids this year and next to develop up, with a view to them coming on in 21 / 22 seasons.

It's not Dusty, Lynch n Presty that are a worry, they'll be key players for another five or six years. They're the foundations we'll continue to develop upon. Cotch, Jaaack, Tross, Grigga, Bash, Shedda will all be close enough to done by end 2022. As the first of them start to fade out there'll be some shekels for our younger players to earn a pay rise. The kids we draft n develop over the next couple of years won't be a genuine cost factor, nor will trying to buy in another " star quality " until our older guns are finishing anyway.
A club comes for Garthwaite or Balta, seeing what they're doing at VFL level. "Hey guys, we'll give you an extra $75 grand a year, plus you'll get to play for us".
If we can't even match the $$$, it's going to be a no brainer the kid will leave. Then it comes down to, do we trade Astbury and his money to keep Garthwaite, or do we let them go and start again. That's one hypothetical. It could easily apply to Higgins, CCJ or Graham, as other examples.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
TigerMasochist said:
Cotch, Jaaack, Tross, Grigga, Bash, Shedda will all be close enough to done by end 2022.

Noooooooo.......

The thought of a Tiger team without these guys makes me shiver to the core.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The_General said:

It will also cost us one of Grigg or a Houli next year, possibly both.

It is important that we get our junior picks right over the next couple of seasons. Garthwaite, Higgins, Balta and CCJ are a promising start but we need to add quality to this group over the next three drafts.

But we needed to do that anyway.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The_General said:
A club comes for Garthwaite or Balta, seeing what they're doing at VFL level. "Hey guys, we'll give you an extra $75 grand a year, plus you'll get to play for us".
If we can't even match the $$$, it's going to be a no brainer the kid will leave. Then it comes down to, do we trade Astbury and his money to keep Garthwaite, or do we let them go and start again. That's one hypothetical. It could easily apply to Higgins, CCJ or Graham, as other examples.
that is basically what happened this year, our better VFL players were picked off with the promise of game time. fortunately for the most part it was older guys who were targeted.

delisting Townsend then re-rookieing him while going with just 38 on the main list is a bit of a slap in the face, but not an unsurprising one. If we didnt trade out a bit of depth he would probably wouldnt be re-rookied.

be interesting to know whether our cap is at breaking point, or whether we are just being tight to keep $$ for the future.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The_General said:

Agree. We have to build on our young group but also give them games.

How would you feel if we took a 2016 style step backwards in either 2019 or 2020? I think that this is on the cards but if it is handled properly, we can come back quickly with Dusty, Lynch, Prestia, Caddy, Vlastuin etc right in their absolute prime and a new bunch of kids in the core group.

I’ve already alluded to losing Grigg and Houli. Astbury, Ellis, Broad, McIntosh, Lambert, Edwards, Castagna and Butler will all need to work incredibly hard to stay in the team.

We need to give opportunities to young players next year, regardless of the cost.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
TOT70 said:
Agree. We have to build on our young group but also give them games.

How would you feel if we took a 2016 style step backwards in either 2019 or 2020? I think that this is on the cards but if it is handled properly, we can come back quickly with Dusty, Lynch, Prestia, Caddy, Vlastuin etc right in their absolute prime and a new bunch of kids in the core group.

I’ve already alluded to losing Grigg and Houli. Astbury, Ellis, Broad, McIntosh, Lambert, Edwards, Castagna and Butler will all need to work incredibly hard to stay in the team.

We need to give opportunities to young players next year, regardless of the cost.

without knowing who will add over the draft period we dont actually have that many kids who need games.

by my reckoning we have 24 guys pressing for rd 1- the prelim 22 minus Conca plus Lynch, Butler and BEllis.
Garthwaite, Moore and Soldo are back up for their respective positions and should be given game time, through injury and rests.
Baker, Bolton, Mrakov and Menadue are the 4 smalls who will be pushing for regular game time.

the talls- CCJ, Miller and Balta are still a little way off, as is Naish. Balta and Naish would expect some game time in 2019, but wont play much.

looking at that list we will need to draft some ready made players, whether they be 18yos, or guys in their mid 20s. plus Chol should be re-rookied- unless we can get a better forward/ruck depth player.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The_General said:
Apart from the fact that none of those kids you mentioned have actually achieved anything yet. They still need to be traded if another club comes looking. An extra $75 grand a year is *smile* all after the tax man gets his slice, not worth considering. Just who the *smile* might come and play with " US " be? St Kiddinme, Mould Coast, Carlscum? Sides with their raggedy arses dragging along the gutter, or the side that won the 2017 flag, played to prelim this year n should be flag contending over the next few years. Players want to play finals n chase flags not waste their entire careers getting thumped every week for a few extra shekels.
We'd have to be totally bursting the seams to not have a few dollars to share around various players on our list right now, plus as I mentioned there's a few players who's careers will be fading out in the next few years.
No idea of the actual $ numbers, but we've just moved ten players off the list this year. If they average a paltry $200 grand per player, that's $2 mill off the cap, Lynch is supposedly back ended at $500 grand per year for his first two years. So that's $1.5 mill still spare in the pocket. Ten new kids for next year at approx $ 70 grand per year, still leaves a spare $ 800 grand flapping around in the wallet to allow for a little bit of topping up of Flossy n perhaps one or two other players existing contracts. Then you allow for likely Bash n Grigga finishing up end of next year n there's another $ 750 grand to be shareable for raising players salaries as they progress.

World could end tomorrow n that's a hypothetical that would stop us worrying about imagined hypothetical's ever again. Clubs been managing things fairly well in recent years, I think I'll happily trust them to keep doing so for a little bit longer.

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
If an educated punt, ie throwing all that cash at Dusty and Lynch gives us a shot at another flag before cotch, Jack n Rance retire it seems like a no brainer to me.

It does underline the sacrifice that Cotch, jack and rance have made $$$$$$wise.

Could not have seen us winning next years flag without Dusty or Lynch!

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
If Bolton delivers on what they claim he can do I suspect that Castagna will be traded at the end of next year and for me its a no brainer that Houli and Grigg will also depart. To be honest I was a little surprised that we kept both of them: I would only have kept Grigg.

So how does Garthwaite get a game and who makes room for Balta? This is a question that should hopefully motivate best performances from Broad, Macintosh and Short.

As for CCJ, and it's probably too early to consider this for 2019, he could be the diamond in the rough. He was recruited as a ruckman but can clearly handle forward roles. I see him as potentially a trump card who can ruck, rest forward which gives us a foil for Nank, Lynch and Jack. He is already a big lump and when recruited was 200cm's and 97 Kgs.

With Lynch and CCJ working in the forward line it would free up jack to play more like Richo up on the wing which would give us devastating delivery into the forward line.

Pretty good hypotheticals to have to deal with.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Mitch Hibberd just did a medical with Port, perfect replacement for Pittard & a player who will come dirt cheap. From a Richmond perspective he'd be good insurance for Houli.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
TigerMasochist said:
Irrelevant seeing as rookies no longer need to wait for a long term injury or retirement to be elevated onto the main list. 40 n 4 or 38 n 6 it's exactly the same re player availability, but I think with the rookies they can be one year contracts instead of two.
This is 100% correct

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The_General said:

That is always a concern, esp with Norf offering them $1.5m. But i'd like to think all our players are in on & accepting of the plan $ wise, especially as we have some decent players out of contract next yr, it's all about keeping the group together & i'd be surprised if all of them were not made aware of the plan going fwd. They all have the chance atm to achieve great things which if they do they will more than make up for the $200k more they can make elsewhere in the long run. Balmey is the best at this & he'll be all over it.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
bullus_hit said:
Mitch Hibberd just did a medical with Port, perfect replacement for Pittard & a player who will come dirt cheap. From a Richmond perspective he'd be good insurance for Houli.

Surely we can cover him via Markov, BEllis and Menadue, at least short-term? Have hopes Markov will make it myself, the type to take the game on too.