Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Vic will be 70% on Tuesday or Wednesday fullvaxxed.
Will open up a little.

Is it just me or does that seem a low number to start opening up considering we are getting 2000 cases a day in lockdown (cases will climb even more).

Ill get criticised (fair enough) but i reckon they should have waited until DEC 1 (1st Day of Summer).
no bunnerz, it's a completely valid opinion.

Definitely a gamble to open up. They are banking on vaccination minimising cases as we open up but I reckon we'll definitely see a spike before it drops again.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
They have to open up or there'll be a riot. If they tell people "six more weeks of winter" even I'll start smashing sh!t. Freedom of movement for the fully vaxxed, otherwise what the fruck are we doing.

Reactions: 8 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
no bunnerz, it's a completely valid opinion.

Definitely a gamble to open up. They are banking on vaccination minimising cases as we open up but I reckon we'll definitely see a spike before it drops again.
Haven’t seen a spike in NSW so far. Cases trending down. Although it’s only be a week so it’ll be interesting to see what they are this time next week.

Reactions: 4 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Haven’t seen a spike in NSW so far. Cases trending down. Although it’s only be a week so it’ll be interesting to see what they are this time next week.
I can't see Pairotits backing down in any case. It'll be balls to the wall until covid's dead or everyone else is.

I'd just about support him for PM.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I can't see Pairotits backing down in any case. It'll be balls to the wall until covid's dead or everyone else is.

I'd just about support him for PM.
Oh yeah there is no going back in NSW. It’s all systems go up there.

Pre pandemic Melbourne and Victoria had the strongest economy in Australia. There is clear concern that it will lag behind other states as we come out of the lockdowns, particularly NSW & QLD. There appears to be a lot of people leaving or lining up to leave and the harsh lockdowns and restrictions are a key factor. Melbourne’s population apparently reduced by 43,000 people in the first 6 months of the year. That is a stark contrast to what was happening pre pandemic. It was clearly the fastest growing city in Australia.

I feel it will be hard to get back to what it was. Especially the CBD. The Melbourne CBD was the only one worth visiting in Australia. It would be a great shame if that never came back.

Reactions: 1 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Hooray! Finally some sensible easing coming very soon.
Big changes that make sense.
Can finally see some family and now see Tys who is 50 ks away .
A more sensible life awaits for those who have been sensible and taken responsibility for their health and others health.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Well done to the Victorian government in giving more freedoms. The more you allow the more transparent it will be for contact tracing and identify those in the community who won’t be vaccinated.

Next Friday in regional Victoria you are a good chance now of having a social life with up to 10 people allowed to your home.

Also pubs/cafes etc can have 30 inside and 100 out.

This is all about reward for efforts.

Last edited:

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Expecting a lot of people in 14 days quarantine once schools open unless the rules get changed quickly.

And a lot of schools shut down.

Opening up will be painful with many bumps in the road.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The message is now crystal clear. Freedoms will be for those who've had the jab. Not to mention the health benefits.

We need to start reporting these numbers as a percentage of the not completely vaxxed positive with Covid and completely vaxxed with Covid as it’s going to shift a lot as the vax percentage gets towards 90% plus.

I wonder what final vax take up we get?

Do we get to 95%? 97%?(of those eligible to be vaxxed) More? - like the parts of the act at 106% (lol)?

Will be interesting once the world realises Australia will be one of the most vaxxed countries in the world. Personally I think this correlates with low religiosity, strong education standards and much less politicisation of what needs to be done but will also be the history of vax in the country too.

My sample size is small but I know one religious nutter on Facebook and completely In the conspiracy space and her husband losing his job as a postie because refuses to vax.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Expecting a lot of people in 14 days quarantine once schools open unless the rules get changed quickly.

And a lot of schools shut down.

Opening up will be painful with many bumps in the road.
At this stage the NSW opening up experience seems quite positive. Will be interesting to see how it progresses. No reason to think we can’t be the same but the virus does seem more transmissible in Victoria than anywhere else.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Credit to the authorities for releasing the brakes a bit more than they were originally going to. It is apparent that the harsher Victorian restrictions, particularly in comparison with NSW, were really agitating the community. Good on them for being flexible and I think they have struck a reasonable balance.

It is undeniable that there is a positive correlation between higher vaccination rates less severe COVID infections.

Reactions: 7 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes, at least the NSW situation is proving that vaccination is the solution to most of our problems. Would have been better if we'd got onto this a lot earlier - thanks Scomo.

• Angry

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
My 90yr old MILs carer, (has been looking after her for near 2 years) Finished last Wednesday, because she refused to be vaxxed. The local council she works for has said "no vax no job". This woman is a trained nurse, it really makes me wonder!!!!

• Sad

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon they have read the room and are shifting the balance between what the health authorities' warnings are saying and what is possible.

Seems reasonable to me.

The facts at the moment point to a need to keep some restrictions as the virus will be spreading and also because some will get sick and die. But the proportion of those vaccinated who get sick and die is so far below the unvaccinated, the risk is far lower. On the other side it is clear that the current lockdown is not having the desired effect. Case numbers are not under control and hospitalisation numbers are a clear concern despite the restrictions and the increasing rate of vaccination.

I saw some figures today which said we now have 88% of 16+ with the first dose. If this keeps rising and everyone gets their second dose we are pretty well protected.

We have to get out of lockdowns at some point and when restrictions are not working and vaccination rates are rising seems a good time to at least loosen the shackles for the fully vaccinated.

As for the idiots who claim they need a particular brand or type of vaccine, well they can all stay home. We can enforce this by using the State Government's tracking app. You might be able to make a reasonable forgery of the vax certificate but what you can't do is to link the forgery to the State Government app.

We also need to aim for really high vaccination rates, I would argue we need to be aiming for 95% or 12+ vaccinated with the rider that 90% of 12+ vaccinated would be acceptable.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I like the mantra of shifting from lock down to lock out. Catchy.

Did anyone hear at the Vic presser a journo ask Dan if we can have 100k at rich v Carlton? Footy is life in Vic.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Agree. Schools are a big issue for next 8 weeks.
I reckon many will pull the pin in a month's time.
Many Melbourne schools have had covid the last 2 weeks but it seems media aren't reporting it as much.

So unvaccinated kids 5 to 18 can just go for it can they?

I reckon a few parents will pull kids out in a few weeks.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
My sample size is small but I know one religious nutter on Facebook and completely In the conspiracy space and her husband losing his job as a postie because refuses to vax.
In my discussions with staff refusing to be vaxxed I have had two religious objections based on the use of stem cells in the manufacturing of the vaccine.

I did some research but there is an article on the ABC website about it

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Oh yeah there is no going back in NSW. It’s all systems go up there.

Pre pandemic Melbourne and Victoria had the strongest economy in Australia. There is clear concern that it will lag behind other states as we come out of the lockdowns, particularly NSW & QLD. There appears to be a lot of people leaving or lining up to leave and the harsh lockdowns and restrictions are a key factor. Melbourne’s population apparently reduced by 43,000 people in the first 6 months of the year. That is a stark contrast to what was happening pre pandemic. It was clearly the fastest growing city in Australia.

I feel it will be hard to get back to what it was. Especially the CBD. The Melbourne CBD was the only one worth visiting in Australia. It would be a great shame if that never came back.
I have been into Collins at evety 4 months to go to my dentist. Some in lockdown sone in open times. Last visit was three weeks ago and the decay is palpable now. Shops and cafes that were closed last year are now gutted and up for lease. It's going to take something extraordinary for the CBD to bounce back. If PS and big companies are only mandating 60% staff in office that's an automatic 40% reduction in activity. CBDs don't need ocassionall diners waving a voucher, they need workers cashing their wage cheques week in week out. And the art and culture scene doesn't exist in a vacuum, they need foot traffic Too.