Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I firmly believe the opposite/fully agree if that makes sense.

You need to focus on high risk activities and clearly communicate the risk.

When you focus on what are perceived rightly or wrongly as low risk activity compliance you drive total non-compliance.

This is the failure of leadership in Vic that has actually driven the massive case explosion IMO.

I’ve seen this play put in safety where a focus on all injuries (including first aid band aids) almost equally means you don’t focus enough resources on serious near misses where people almost die (isolation lock out / tag out procedure break downs esp. electrical , confined space entry without BA, working at heights without fall protection). When you shift to focus to what let’s people go home and see their families you get much better compliance to EVErYTHING.

We’d be much better off policing / monitoring for indoor high risk activity than focusing on people in the park running around without a mask or talking to each other.
It’s a tough one. There is no doubt that being outdoors helps reduce COVID transmission. Warmer climates have done better than colder, there has been more COVID in winter than in summer in Europe and the US. The notable exception is India but that has a lot to do with the sheer number of people in close proximity to each other.
I don’t know the answer to masks outside but as a personal preference I will just wear one when I can. My own view is that it is a small price to pay but i know others feel differently

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
It’s a tough one. There is no doubt that being outdoors helps reduce COVID transmission. Warmer climates have done better than colder, there has been more COVID in winter than in summer in Europe and the US. The notable exception is India but that has a lot to do with the sheer number of people in close proximity to each other.
I don’t know the answer to masks outside but as a personal preference I will just wear one when I can. My own view is that it is a small price to pay but i know others feel differently
It can be an option for everyone for sure. I would probably still wear one in crowded outdoor spaces. Just don’t make it a rule for everyone because if people think enough of the rules are crap they will disobey all the rules. (In Australia and not in China.)

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It can be an option for everyone for sure. I would probably still wear one in crowded outdoor spaces. Just don’t make it a rule for everyone because if people think enough of the rules are crap they will disobey all the rules. (In Australia and not in China.)
Yeah the two rules we have that I am concerned about is that one and also the continuing closure of retail. Personally I think retail can open with reduced numbers, QR code and showing you are vaccinated.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I firmly believe the opposite/fully agree if that makes sense.

You need to focus on high risk activities and clearly communicate the risk.

When you focus on what are perceived rightly or wrongly as low risk activity compliance you drive total non-compliance.

This is the failure of leadership in Vic that has actually driven the massive case explosion IMO.

You treat people like dummies and take away personal responsibility and you get people behaving like irresponsible dummies.

Provide people with information, allow them to make better choices.

It's like anti-vaxers, the more they are told they are idiots and wrong the more they dig their heals in. We have an anti-vaxer at work, he rails against people that tell him what to do. I ask him where he gets his information, ask him to think about who is writing it etc. Encourage him to look at the huge number of vaccinations given in this country and the extremely low incidence of negative reactions. Look at the deaths from covid. Look at the restrictions on the unvaccinated. I reckon he will come around, he has 2 young kids and a vaccinated wife. He needs to work./ He needs to access childcare. He needs choice, he will lose that if he remains unvaccinated.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
2 covids at Southwest Vic schools today
School closed for 2 days.
No mention in media.
A month a go it's headline news.

I suppose it's good in a way.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
2 covids at Southwest Vic schools today
School closed for 2 days.
No mention in media.
A month a go it's headline news.

I suppose it's good in a way.
It’s the new normal. One of the schools I read is closed for the day. Deep clean and they will be working through who came into contact with this person and asking them to get tested and isolate. The ones identified will then isolate get tested twice and hopefully return two negatives and be back at work in 7 days. No need for contact tracing. It’s about leadership and personal accountability. And very good communication by the school principal who communicated the plan to all parents, students and staff.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Over 100k doses for Victoria. Brilliant numbers along with a record second amount of doses. We should be at 70% a day early. Wednesday afternoon should do it.

Vaccinations in Victoria are flying. We are at 88.81% first dose compared to NSW 92.29% first dose. We have administered more doses than NSW for 4 consecutive days, despite the difference in population. We are catching up very quickly.

I predicted recently that NSW will start slowing down after announcing they will open up to the unvaxxed on December 1. This may have already begun.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The new 24 hour case numbers by LGA are highlighting the case spread. It’s not just the Northern and Western LGA’s getting new cases. They’re still getting the most but other LGA’s eg East and South East are exposing. Think a lot of people in my LGA consider they’re a bit removed from it all and that it’s just a North and West thing at the moment. They’re wrong.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
No AusOpen for unvaccinated tennis players:clap2. Tough luck Novak you are no more important than anyone else, I for one won't miss you one iota.

Reactions: 11 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
No AusOpen for unvaccinated tennis players:clap2. Tough luck Novak you are no more important than anyone else, I for one won't miss you one iota.
I reckon Novak's issue is that he may actually be vaccinated but doesn't want the information to come out as he will let down his army of anti-vaxx followers.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
@Sintiger you seem to be pretty much across the hospital scene? any idea of the percentage of people that go onto a ventilator actually survive? I don't think they would be great.
Averaging 10 plus deaths a day and about 100 on ventilators, so deaths are being replaced by new ones going on.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
@Sintiger you seem to be pretty much across the hospital scene? any idea of the percentage of people that go onto a ventilator actually survive? I don't think they would be great.
Averaging 10 plus deaths a day and about 100 on ventilators, so deaths are being replaced by new ones going on.
I don’t really know Caesar but your assumptions may well be close to correct. When they refer to a ventilator they are talking about mechanical ventilation which means the patient cannot breathe on their own and all those patients will be in an ICU. That’s different to what is called Non invasive ventilation which is a mask on oxygen for assisted breathing which is done outside ICUs as well as inside.
Whether all patients who are dying are doing so in an ICU and are ventilated I am not sure but I would suspect an assumption that most if not all are would be pretty close to the truth.
The really sick patients are also on what is called ECMO. It is extreme and only done in the hospitals in Melbourne who handle the most acutely sick patients.

Reactions: 2 users