Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We live in an individualist society where people are encouraged to seek out advantage over others. It is an antagonistic society where each individual is out for themselves. It should surprise nobody that such a society has people breaking rules which only have a basis in authority from above.

If we move to a society which is more community minded, which relies more on consensus, we reduce, and maybe one day remove, the need for authority.

The individualistic society we live in is showing its faults.
Second sentence sounds a lot like 'defund the police' territory. Which of course is *smile* lunacy.

Lack of respect for authority and prioritisation of individual rights is strongly associated with one side of poilitics...

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Second sentence sounds a lot like 'defund the police' territory. Which of course is *smile* lunacy.

Lack of respect for authority and prioritisation of individual rights is strongly associated with one side of poilitics...

Yeah those right wingers, flouting authority and out demonstrating for their individualist agenda the other day . . .

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Some stats I just heard from the US on The Drum

86% of Democrat voters have been vaccinated whilst only 45% of Republican voters have been. 47% of all Republican voters say that they will not or are unlikely to be getting vaccinated.

At the moment something like 97-99% of all people who are dying from COVID are unvaccinated

Crazy scary stuff.

Reactions: 2 users

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane

86% of Democrat voters have been vaccinated whilst only 45% of Republican voters have been. 47% of all Republican voters say that they will not or are unlikely to be getting vaccinated.

At the moment something like 97-99% of all people who are dying from COVID are unvaccinated

Crazy scary stuff.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Crazy scary stuff.

Its a real shame when politics dictates an issue as serious as a pandemic but as we know it seems to, even in Australia you can see the difference between Labors approach to the Libs approach.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Crazy scary stuff.
that gonna make it hard for the Republicans to be elected.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Crazy scary stuff.

Darwinism at work. Trying the South Park volcano defence strategy doesn’t work.

But yes super scary to be such a significant percentage.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Crazy scary stuff.
Those numbers appear to have been hand-picked.

This article says of the 25 Democrat states, 16 have reached 70%, 8 60% with only Georgia below 60%.

21 of the 25 Republican states had reached 50% with four of the poorest below 50% (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Wyoming).

Still a startling ideological divide.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

This article says of the 25 Democrat states, 16 have reached 70%, 8 60% with only Georgia below 60%.

21 of the 25 Republican states had reached 50% with four of the poorest below 50% (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Wyoming).

There is a difference between the stats for registered voters (or people identifying as such) and the Forbes article which is looking at total populations, which would explain the disparity. Different data sets.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

It is but one is measuring democratic and Republican voters and the other states so the numbers will be different. Also not sure what vaccinated means I.e. one jab or both.
I think the Drum stats were a poll, asking people if they were vaccinated, intended to be, who they voted for.
Anyway as you say startling whichever way we cut it

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It is but one is measuring democratic and Republican voters and the other states so the numbers will be different. Also not sure what vaccinated means I.e. one jab or both.
I think the Drum stats were a poll, asking people if they were vaccinated, intended to be, who they voted for.
Anyway as you say startling whichever way we cut it
What it shows in a country that has had well over 600,000 deaths is that some people won't be swayed, no matter what is happening around them. We'll see the same ceiling on vaccination here, perhaps lower.

Looks as though the US is off to the races again.

mE7mGn2.jpg

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
In the interests of fairness it should be pointed out that the CDC VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Events Recording System) shows that there have been 10991 deaths and 463K adverse events from taking the vaccine. Worldwide it is about 40k deaths and 3 million adverse events. Also recent research out of china shows the Delta viral load to be 1200 times greater than the alpha. That's why its much more transmissable and the incubation period is averaging 4 days rather than 6. Further there is likely to be vaccine escape with the new variants.

So while vaccination is a key measure there also needs to be room for anti viral therapy to treat those that get infected so that viral loads can be diminished. While different in mechanism to HIV some of the eventual treatment will be similar. There is no cure for HIV but through medications that reduce viral loads people with HIV can live (almost) normally.

There is also disturbing research out of Israel that those fully vaccinated with Phizer were only 40 percent protected from infection although around 88% against hospitalisation. This low figure might be due to the fact that they only had a three week gap from dose 1 and 2.

There is of course a lot of money to be made by pharmaceutical companies in developing additional therapies and an endless supply of booster vaccines. It would be nice if there was a safe drug out there with anti viral and anti inflammatory properties that could be repurposed for Covid.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
From Wednesday:
- Vic School kids return to school.
- Travel limit Removed.
- Masks remain mandatory indoors and outdoors.
- Hospitality opens under strict patron caps.
- Outdoor gatherings Max 10 people.
- Retail, gyms, hairdressers and beauty are open with one person per 4 sqm limit.
- workplaces are open with a 25 per cent capacity or 10 people
- no home visits

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Crazy scary stuff.
Let em die I say.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think they are on the crazy/stupid/self-entitled wing.

Yeah, as I said, right wingers.

The US looks to be in a bit of a bind. They have vaccines, it's free, but they have a lot of vaccine hesitant/anti-vaccine people so they are having trouble getting the rate high enough to protect those who can't vaccinate. Not sure what will convince them, especially after that Hillsong guy who died and was asking for the vaccine - he was anti-vax until on his death bed.

I don't think Australia will have the same proportion of people refusing a vaccine, but it still remains to be seen how high we can get the vaccination rate.

It would be nice to have effective treatments. We no longer fear infections, not because of vaccines, but because of effective treatments via antibiotics. Treatments for viruses do seem to be more difficult, I'm sure there is progress but a hard one.

DS

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
From Wednesday:
- Vic School kids return to school.
- Travel limit Removed.
- Masks remain mandatory indoors and outdoors.
- Hospitality opens under strict patron caps.
- Outdoor gatherings Max 10 people.
- Retail, gyms, hairdressers and beauty are open with one person per 4 sqm limit.
- workplaces are open with a 25 per cent capacity or 10 people
- no home visits
Local sport?

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Yeah, as I said, right wingers.

DS
Plenty of crazy/stupid/self-indulgent people on both sides of politics. The intersection of the right wing 'Christian' fanatics and the wellness movement is one of the more bizarre political marriages of all time.