Danny Frawley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Danny Frawley

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
What a tragedy. Seemed a guy who always wanted to make sure everyone else having a good time. Sympathy to friends and family.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Such a sad loss and very unexpected. I remember the 2000 & 2001 teams very fondly and Danny was a big part of that.

Never like hearing 'single car accident' as it can often mean there is more to the tragedy. Be it suicide or the driver passing out due to a heart attack or another undiagnosed medical condition, the sudden nature of it always makes it hit you a bit harder. The only time i lost someone in my life to a lone car accident in the middle of the day, it was a friend in his early 20s commiting suicide after he and his misses had a fight. Afterwards we all learned of his battle with depression. I I do recal recently l Danny opening up publicaly about living with clincal depression, which is generally a strategy of dealing with a worsening condition. His happy demeanor along with his 'on-stage' persona of the clown cant help but remind me Robin Williams. All conjecture, but it would be a vicious blow to lose such a generous person to mental health - it would be unbearably tragic.

RIP Danny
Agree about Robin Williams. Another (what we see) happy-go-lucky bloke committing suicide just hard to believe.

I suppose it's a bit like that clowns psychology in that we see them as happy characters, where in reality they're not.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I recall the hoo-hah of him being chaired off the ground after his last game which IIRC was at Whitten Oval.

We were listening to it on the radio car as we were traveling back down the hume.

When I got home I turned on telly and watched it on the news and couldn't believe how much he was crying then somehow I got abit emotional too, we all did as we watched it!!!

That was raw power of the man.

RIP Danny Frawley.

Spud's crying on EJ's last day at the G in 1995 got to me......and still does when I see it.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Danny was a great people person , such a sad day for all the people that knew him .
Was so well respected in and out of football , my deepest condolences ti his family ..

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Sorry mate, but doesn't FUD still stand out a bit? There's many names to create or pick.
Asked Mr T to change it to FUD or something more appropriate. Was also happy to create a new account. Happy with Dimmauchamp. Mr.T, over to you.

To be quite honest dont really care what profile name is given. Never met the bloke but just bloody devastated. Gut wrenching. His poor family. Can't even contemplate what they are feeling right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Asked Mr T to change it to FUD or something more appropriate. Was also happy to create a new account. Happy with Dimmauchamp. Mr.T, over to you.

To be quite honest dont really care what profile name is given. Never met the bloke but just bloody devastated. Gut wrenching. His poor family. Can't even contemplate what they are feeling right now.
Totally agree. I'm still contemplating. Hard to accept this is true.

I'm sure our banner will show some respect to Danny in the PF.

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Agree about Robin Williams. Another (what we see) happy-go-lucky bloke committing suicide just hard to believe.

I suppose it's a bit like that clowns psychology in that we see them as happy characters, where in reality they're not.

On Footy Classified tonight they showed the number for Lifeline on the bottom of the screen. Absolutely tragic!

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Such a sad loss and very unexpected. I remember the 2000 & 2001 teams very fondly and Danny was a big part of that.

Never like hearing 'single car accident' as it can often mean there is more to the tragedy. Be it suicide or the driver passing out due to a heart attack or another undiagnosed medical condition, the sudden nature of it always makes it hit you a bit harder. The only time i lost someone in my life to a lone car accident in the middle of the day, it was a friend in his early 20s commiting suicide after he and his misses had a fight. Afterwards we all learned of his battle with depression. I I do recal recently l Danny opening up publicaly about living with clincal depression, which is generally a strategy of dealing with a worsening condition. His happy demeanor along with his 'on-stage' persona of the clown cant help but remind me Robin Williams. All conjecture, but it would be a vicious blow to lose such a generous person to mental health - it would be unbearably tragic.

RIP Danny
When I was listening to SEN this evening and they were discussing Danny and talking about how he was always concerned about others and played the clown for everyone, I immediately thought of Robin Williams. I'm glad I'm not the only person who went there.

There's an Iron Maiden song called Tears of a Clown, written specifically for Williams. I listened to it again when I got home.

Danny as coach was probably the same as the player. Not extremely talented, but got every last ounce out of his skills and his side. People got angry (and stayed that way) with Frawley, but I don't think that was his fault - it was ours. He took a side with a smattering of A grade talent and a bunch of good ordinary players and got us to a prelim. We just naturally - after being starved of success - expected we'd go up and not down after that. I think the problem was we were just a hard at the ball side without a lot of tricks, and when we got figured out, the injuries came and the average players dropped off - he got found out. I was annoyed it happened, but at least he gave me some happiness after a bleak, bleak period. For a while, I was proud to be a Tiger supporter. Something that didn't happen again for a long time after he left.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I must say this feeling is similar to when Hookesy died. Just all of a sudden and never expected. One day I'm hearing him on the radio, next day he's gone.

nitrotiger

" lets play like the tigers of old ! "
Sep 9, 2005
Noble Park North Melbourne
In the very dark years he got us to a preliminary final ... this is so trafic .... RIP spud .... you are in heaven havong a laugh with Barks ...

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Terrible news, RIP Spud.

Deepest condolences to his family.

I can't think of anything else to say

ILUVDISCO

Tiger Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
I must say this feeling is similar to when Hookesy died. Just all of a sudden and never expected. One day I'm hearing him on the radio, next day he's gone.
Absolutely feeling the same way, just sort of disbelief. Vale Danny Frawley. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
On Footy Classified tonight they showed the number for Lifeline on the bottom of the screen. Absolutely tragic!
Saw that and some other shows too. Shocked. From what I have read so far the police are still not sure. Eg lost control of car (as it was at the bottom of the hill and a bend) or other reason. I have no idea.

He wanted people to be aware of his fight with his demons and hoped to help others by doing so. I hope this wasnt the cause of his accident.
Was proud of what he was trying to achieve. In the 80s we lost a friend (we had no clue/shocked - even his closets mate) he lost his fight to that 'black dog'.

I shared a laugh with Spud once while he was coaching the Tiges, "..gezz your hair has gone grey coaching us" (was said in jest & he got it). Clinton Grybas & him laughed on that talk back show.

....(added)
There is a petition to award the Golden Fist on brownlow night. Create an award to honour backmen. ssee news.com.au its on there via a link to a storyline.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Shocking news. RIP Spud.

with a bit of hindsight behind us, you'd have to say Frawley was our best coach over the dark years of the RFC.