Does consecutive straight sets losses cancel out a premiership? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Does consecutive straight sets losses cancel out a premiership?

Does consecutive straight sets losses cancel out a premiership?

• Yes

• No

• Cheese Sandwich

Results are only viewable after voting.
I reckon what this exposes is that they really need to do something about their forward line. The defence: covered. Mids: covered. Ruck: covered. No forward line and they are out.

Makes you wonder a bit about Collingwood too . . .

DS
If only there had been a genuine tall forward with proven goal kicking credentials that the Pies could have gone after when they came close in 2018…oh wait…

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Nothing cancels out a Premiership.

Dees have underachieved since and the pressure is well and truly on them for next season. Their current list has been largely together and primed since 2018. Time is running out for them.

In the 21st century, three flags in short succession is the benchmark. In each case, it has taken five years or less and then the rebuild has become necessary. Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond have all attained it. Melbourne haven’t. They have two years left to win the other two if they want to be spoken about in the same way.

Nothing cancels out a Premiership.

Dees have underachieved since and the pressure is well and truly on them for next season. Their current list has been largely together and primed since 2018. Time is running out for them.

In the 21st century, three flags in short succession is the benchmark. In each case, it has taken five years or less and then the rebuild has become necessary. Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond have all attained it. Melbourne haven’t. They have two years left to win the other two if they want to be spoken about in the same way.
I agree with this. Melbourne have had one of the best lists since 2018, 6 years, 1 premiership. Dogs have been one of the best lists since 2016, 8 years, 1 premiership. Geelong have had a top 4 list since 2012, 11 years, 1 premiership. They are hard to win, ever grateful for our 3.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't recall Melbourne winning a premiership. Not in this time zone anyway. Did they win a big game against the Bulldogs in one of those China games? They don't count.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
2023 finals:

Melbourne scoring shots - 44 - inside 50’s 122
Opposition scoring shots - 33 - inside 50’s 89

And that was all she wrote.

At the end of the day Premierships is the only stat that matters and the only stat that people remember until their dying day.

Everything else is just window dressing.

Cholly has kicked 5 goals in this preliminary final.
He wouldve been better then half of Melbourne's forward line

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I reckon what this exposes is that they really need to do something about their forward line. The defence: covered. Mids: covered. Ruck: covered. No forward line and they are out.

DS
Add to that, they are a bunch of FIGJAMmers. The Deegotist's have been clipped again.

• Haha
Well there isnt always next year for Ronba.

RIP

You recruit Grundy to form a one-two ruck combo with Gawn and don't even play him? Surely their fwd line looks better with Grundy or Gawn fwd than it did last night.

One of the most bizarre selection/coaching moves I have ever seen.

Hindsight is wonderful and all, but it is incomprehensible really.

One of the most bizarre selection/coaching moves I have ever seen.

Hindsight is wonderful and all, but it is incomprehensible really.

Picking Schache as your sub over Grundy was remarkable. At least Grundy gives you a bit of flexibility if say McDonald was crap again (he was), in that you could throw Gawn forward and give Grundy the ruck, at least could mix it up. Schache gave them no flexibility hence he wasn't even used. Astounding decision to select him as the sub. Dumb decision or arrogance? I'm not sure, could be either with that club.

Picking Schache as your sub over Grundy was remarkable. At least Grundy gives you a bit of flexibility if say McDonald was crap again (he was), in that you could throw Gawn forward and give Grundy the ruck, at least could mix it up. Schache gave them no flexibility hence he wasn't even used. Astounding decision to select him as the sub. Dumb decision or arrogance? I'm not sure, could be either with that club.

Bizarre.

Grundy or not, as soon as they picked Schache, i knew Blues were home

Bit of a silly suggestion. If the footy Gods offered us now the 2024 flag followed by straight sets exits in 2025 and 2026, or we can take our chances with all three seasons, you'd take the flag in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 2 users
Bit of a silly suggestion. If the footy Gods offered us now the 2024 flag followed by straight sets exits in 2025 and 2026, or we can take our chances with all three seasons, you'd take the flag in a heartbeat.

With our current list, yes for sure.

With Melbourne's list, no. I'd take my chances in all three.

With our current list, yes for sure.

With Melbourne's list, no. I'd take my chances in all three.
With Melbournes list and our culture and professionalism as a club yes to taking the chance in all 3

DS
Petty will be the cornerstone you would think.
JVR another year in his development.
Not a-class but probably good enough you'd think

Nothing short of bongers-style drug cheating can cancel out a premiership but you can definitely waste a potential dynasty window and make a single premiership a symbol, at least retroactively, of 'what might have been' rather than the all-out celebration it should be. For example (speaking of the bongers) esserdon in 2000 and collinwood in 2010. Both of those teams should have won at least 2 premierships.

Reactions: 1 user
100% spot on. I was at the G for the 2017 & 2019 GF's with my wife and kids, and other family members and friends too to witness it LIVE and celebrate like no tomorrow, especially 2017. Dees supporters would feel a little robbed on not witnessing their team live win the premiership on the G after 60-odd years.

2020 was great in that it was the flag that catapulted us as a dynasty team. We weren't there due to COVID but what a feeling to see us lift the cup again after the triumphs of 2017 & 2019. Satisfied to the max!!!
I got lucky
2017 - I got selected in the GF lottery for standing room
2019 - had joined Maurice Rioli club so I saw 2019 live too
2020 - I’m a gold coaster so I watched 2020 live as well

• Love