Early Openers... Week 2 Finals. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Early Openers... Week 2 Finals.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Just been giving some thought to next weeks scenarios.

When was the last time 2 of the top 4 went out in straight sets?
I'm sure someone knows off the top of their head.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Port fell over yet again at home..... coached by someone plenty don't want..... and defeated, yet again by a team led by one of their own former premiership players.

As Bruce may say..... "hmmm, isn't that DELICIOUS!"

In the other match, I think the Dees should win on experience alone.... but it might be a sphincter tightening contest for both mobs of supporters!

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Just been giving some thought to next weeks scenarios.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Port fell over yet again at home..... coached by someone plenty don't want..... and defeated, yet again by a team led by one of their own former premiership players.

In the other match, I think the Dees should win on experience alone.... but it might be a sphincter tightening contest for both mobs of supporters!
I’d actually rather see Port lose the PF. It hurts more.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Port to win at home
Hate to say it but Blooze to beat the Dees.Deez fwd line is worse than ours.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I picked 4 from 4 for week 1

For week 2 I'm going

Dees over blues- can't see Blues winning without McKay and Martin

Port over Giants - Port to come good at home. Giants already played their GF against the Aints

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Beware of the injured bear who is back in his den - I actually thought Port were OK for the first 2 and 1/2 qtrs - if they kicked half the sodas they generated in the first half there was a good chance they would have been leading that match - once they went 2 down on the bench (partly self inflicted with the early sub) they were in strife and they could not keep up with a fast Brissie on their home deck. The lions kicked a lot of junk goals in the second half which inflates their performance a little.

GWS are playing well but I can’t see them overcoming a physical port (remember the saints play bruise free footy) so I didn‘t take a lot out of their game.

The blues and Dees will bash the sh!te out of each other next Friday - it will be their granny and whoever wins will limp up to the Gabba to be face an lions outfit waiting to have their tyres pumped again.

Still reckon the winner of the Pies prelim will be the best prepared team to go into the grannie - whether that’s enough to win (beat the lions) I am yet to be convinced.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think port and Melbourne win.

I’ve said it before I think Carlton have tailed off slightly. They were lucky in the end to beat a barely finals worthy Sydney and I can’t see them withstanding the forward 50 barrage like Collingwood did despite how poor Melbourne’s forward line is. If they can’t contain Gawn, Petracca and Oliver they can’t win imo.

Port only because it is in Adelaide but the giants are a sneaky chance. Port in Adelaide are hard to beat with the feral fans but they may struggle to contain the giants talls.

Brisbane are favourites imo. They have so many scoring options.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
No idea of the stats and it may have changed since the introduction of the bye but it always seems the first week top 4 losers won in week 2.

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
No real expectations here, but that's not saying I dont think we can't win. I'm aware that Friday could be the end of the line, in fact, I'm ready for it. Just hope the boys give it everything and we'll see what happens from there.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Historically the losers of the Qualifying Finals are most likely to win.

In this instance it is hard to see Port losing in Adelaide, but GWS have hit form at the right time so they are a definite chance.

Melbourne also most likely, but their lack of a forward line is the issue, and the main reason they will go no further if they win this week.

Hard to see either of the winners from this week's semis getting to the Grand Final, maybe Port could beat Collingwood in a Prelim, but they have to play a lot better. Can't see either Melbourne or Carlton beating Brisbane at the Gabba at all.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

2014 - Geelong and Fremantle.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
No idea of the stats and it may have changed since the introduction of the bye but it always seems the first week top 4 losers won in week 2.
Gee I wonder why?
They may have lost in week 1, but they finished higher and were playing one of the best two teams in the league, "away", and possibly interstate. Elimination Final winners were playing a 7-8 ranked team, "home", and their opponents may have had to travel. People get obsessed with who won and lost without looking at the bigger picture.
Under the current system and before the bye (2000-2015), Qualifying Final losers went 27-5 the following week. Since the bye, they are 9-5. So in 7 years, as many Elimination Final winners have defied the odds with the bye as they did in 16 years before the bye.
That bye stinks. It is a classic example of the major flaw in the AFL's decision making process in everything they do ... a knee-jerk reaction to something that happened under a specific set of circumstances. A more intelligent approach would have been to allow 5th to choose their opponent out of 7th and 8th (and the same with 1st, 3rd or 4th). It would not always resolve the problem but often will. In 2015, Richmond would no doubt have chosen Adelaide (and won :) ).

Last edited:

tony_montana

Tiger Rookie
Aug 15, 2018
Gee I wonder why?
They may have lost in week 1, but they finished higher and were playing one of the best two teams in the league, "away", and possibly interstate. Elimination Final winners were playing a 7-8 ranked team, "home", and their opponents may have had to travel. People get obsessed with who won and lost without looking at the bigger picture.
Under the current system and before the bye (2000-2015), Qualifying Final losers went 27-5 the following week. Since the bye, they are 9-5. So in 7 years, as many Elimination Final winners have defied the odds with the bye as they did in 16 years before the bye.
That bye stinks. It is a classic example of the major flaw in the AFL's decision making process in everything they do ... a knee-jerk reaction to something that happened under a specific set of circumstances. A more intelligent approach would have been to allow 5th to choose their opponent out of 7th and 8th (and the same with 1st, 3rd or 4th). It would not always resolve the problem but often will. In 2015, Richmond would no doubt have chosen Adelaide (and won :) ).
Agree with the first part of your post.

tony_montana

Tiger Rookie
Aug 15, 2018
Can see the dees going out in straight sets for the 2nd year running - Blues got nervous but their form overall over the past 10 weeks has been hot.

Would love to see GWS win - but think Port will get up

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yeah, and i reckon every year people want to tip the 2 elimination winners.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
"Well there's a big, big sound, from west of the town"

Giants have that intangible that premiership teams have - Everyone winning their position, all best players fit and finding players late in the year.

They also have the belief to win anywhere (won at 11 different venues already this year).

They'll show Port up to be the pretenders they are.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
"Well there's a big, big sound, from west of the town"

Giants have that intangible that premiership teams have - Everyone winning their position, all best players fit and finding players late in the year.

They also have the belief to win anywhere (won at 11 different venues already this year).

They'll show Port up to be the pretenders they are.

Big call, but GWS have the form and they have a good set of players. Definitely a decent chance to win.

If they do win the PF against Collingwood will be a great game.

DS

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Prefer a Gee Whizz flag over some of the other options.
Bugger all supporter base so ya can't cop *smile* off the oppo fans all year long.
Ex Tiger assistant in his first senior coaching role, done good.
Angry little rodent Toby Greene captaining his side to it's first ever flag, who'd ever have thunk that was a possibility a few years back.
Orange n Charcoal it's kinda a derivative of Yellow n Black.
Good for AFL, it'll help to continue growing the game in the heathen states of no neck bum sniffers.
Wouldn't that *smile* off all the die hard League admin who detest Storm's success as well as AFL.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm sticking with my original prediction of a Collingwood v Melbourne GF.

We know Melbourne's forward line problems, but they only just lost last Thursday. In fact, they would have won that game 95 times out of 100. And Carlton only just beat a team that only made the finals due to a goal umpire error. They tightened up really badly in the last quarter and may have lost had the game gone a few more minutes.

I really, really, really want the Giants to beat Port. But I would suggest St Kilda were impacted by what happened to Tim Membrey (assuming the rumours are true), which made the Giants win look better than it was. Port flogged the Giants at home a month ago, so its hard to see how they can turn it around.