Does consecutive straight sets losses cancel out a premiership? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Does consecutive straight sets losses cancel out a premiership?

Does consecutive straight sets losses cancel out a premiership?

• Yes

• No

• Cheese Sandwich

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nothing short of bongers-style drug cheating can cancel out a premiership but you can definitely waste a potential dynasty window and make a single premiership a symbol, at least retroactively, of 'what might have been' rather than the all-out celebration it should be. For example (speaking of the bongers) esserdon in 2000 and collinwood in 2010. Both of those teams should have won at least 2 premierships.
In our case the window was 4 years

Reactions: 1 user
2023 finals:

Melbourne scoring shots - 44 - inside 50’s 122
Opposition scoring shots - 33 - inside 50’s 89

And that was all she wrote.
Even that dud Weidmann wouldve been better then half of that foward line.
That's embarrassing. You know you can't score to save yourself and then you spend all the summer convincing a ruckman to come to the club when you already have the best ruckman in the comp.
That wouldve been like us in 2018 chasing Weithering when Rance was there and not picking up lynch.
That is the worse list management decision in my 50 yrs of watching the game.
It probably at worse cost them 1 flag but maybe even 2.
Do you think we will ever find out who made that call?
Choco will say it the minute they give him the ass.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know the last time a team went out in straight sets in consecutive years?
Further to that, the last time it happened to a team after winning a flag?

There is no other way of describing it but Melbourne's exit is their own fault.

They had the better of both games. They played dumb footy and their kicking for goal was terrible. I had them as my flag pick pre finals and they really should be lining up next weekend against the Giants

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know the last time a team went out in straight sets in consecutive years?
Further to that, the last time it happened to a team after winning a flag?
Don’t believe it’s ever happened.
Melbourne hold that record now

I was gobsmacked at what they were doing in the forward line. Joel Smith kicked 2 of their first 4 goals. He is six foot 4 inches tall. Was actually a legitimate target. For much of the latter part of the 3rd and most of the last quarter Kosi Pickett was their deep forward with the next nearest being Chandler. WTF??? Did Goodwin decide that because we had a small forward line in 2017 he would put Pickett to full forward? Pretty sure while we had plenty of small forwards we didn’t actually have Butler at full forward and George playing CHF. I was dumbfounded as to the tactic. Plus Pickett decided to be the enforcer of the side. Talented player. But pretty stupid too.

Reactions: 2 users
I was gobsmacked at what they were doing in the forward line. Joel Smith kicked 2 of their first 4 goals. He is six foot 4 inches tall. Was actually a legitimate target. For much of the latter part of the 3rd and most of the last quarter Kosi Pickett was their deep forward with the next nearest being Chandler. WTF??? Did Goodwin decide that because we had a small forward line in 2017 he would put Pickett to full forward? Pretty sure while we had plenty of small forwards we didn’t actually have Butler at full forward and George playing CHF. I was dumbfounded as to the tactic. Plus Pickett decided to be the enforcer of the side. Talented player. But pretty stupid too.
With Schache on the bench unused.

• Wow
Straight sets x2 doesn’t cancel out the 2021 flag but it definitely kills any talk of a dynasty

Reactions: 2 users
With Schache on the bench unused.
Still scratching my head as why they selected Schache.
Not afl standard.
A half fit Grundy would have been a much better option.
Weird decision all round.
Goodwin has all summer to stew over that decision.

Not afl standard.
No club should ever be selecting a tall as the sub, especially in a final. Makes you wonder if Goodwin was having another “medical episode”.

A premiership's a premiership and whatever happens after that, nothing can take that moment in history away from you.

Despite the hype I am still expecting a Collingwood v Brisbane Grand final, A 2002/3 reprise.

The Pies have a 15 day break, the Giants 6 days. It is at the MCG. It would take a superhuman effort by the Giants to win that one. It will be 25 frees to 10 as well.

Brisbane are really hard to beat at the Gabba and unlike the Bloos first 2 opponents they have multiple players who can score heavily and a couple of goal scoring mids as well. I can't see Carlton containing all the Lions forwards and to me if they kick 14-15 goals they win. They also have the ARC up their sleeve if it gets close.

People forget Melbourne gave away a bloke that would destroy Rance.
On Friday night he will be in Orange.
Mr Jessie J Hogan
Imagine if they supported him through the tough times, Melbourne might be going for 3 in a row.

*Another Richmond list management *smile* up.
We weren't prepared to pay 400k to take him off Freo's hands in 2019, so GWS took him.

Despite the hype I am still expecting a Collingwood v Brisbane Grand final, A 2002/3 reprise.

The Pies have a 15 day break, the Giants 6 days. It is at the MCG. It would take a superhuman effort by the Giants to win that one. It will be 25 frees to 10 as well.

Brisbane are really hard to beat at the Gabba and unlike the Bloos first 2 opponents they have multiple players who can score heavily and a couple of goal scoring mids as well. I can't see Carlton containing all the Lions forwards and to me if they kick 14-15 goals they win. They also have the ARC up their sleeve if it gets close.
Brisbane will destroy Carlton. That was their GF. You can’t ride that emotional roller coaster for too long combined with the fatigue of battling out till the bitter end. Good on them though.
I give GWS a bit more of a chance. They beat Port fairly comfortably and didn’t have to expend too much emotional energy in the process. However the 6 day break and 2 interstate games is a serious disadvantage.

Not afl standard.
Schache is a total cat. Has never had AFL intensity ever. Some thought it may develop with age but in actual fact he’s got worse after his opponents figured out how to stop him..which isn’t much by all reports.

Brown, Shache..
The Dees have tried to address their key forward woes through recruiting but there’s no point picking up recycled hacks for the sake of it. Lesson be learned!

Rule one is they must be aggressive & highly competitive. The good ones don’t grow on trees. Lynch was an absolutely brilliant recruit. One of our club’s greatest ever.

Don't be 'gobsmacked' it's Goodwin pulling the strings.
The most underwhelming senior AFL coach I've seen. 12 year old kids can see what the issue is but he refuses to fix it.
Tough titties