Early Openers... Week 2 Finals. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Early Openers... Week 2 Finals.

What are the Membrey rumours?
It has been reported, by the Saints, that he had a pretty significant mental health issue, and it affected the players in the lead up to the game. Without knowing more, and without wanting to know more, some dots are pretty easy to join to get at least an idea.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
It has been reported, by the Saints, that he had a pretty significant mental health issue, and it affected the players in the lead up to the game. Without knowing more, and without wanting to know more, some dots are pretty easy to join to get at least an idea.
Yeah, I’ve since googled it to find out.

Gee I wonder why?
They may have lost in week 1, but they finished higher and were playing one of the best two teams in the league, "away", and possibly interstate. Elimination Final winners were playing a 7-8 ranked team, "home", and their opponents may have had to travel. People get obsessed with who won and lost without looking at the bigger picture.
Under the current system and before the bye (2000-2015), Qualifying Final losers went 27-5 the following week. Since the bye, they are 9-5. So in 7 years, as many Elimination Final winners have defied the odds with the bye as they did in 16 years before the bye.
That bye stinks. It is a classic example of the major flaw in the AFL's decision making process in everything they do ... a knee-jerk reaction to something that happened under a specific set of circumstances. A more intelligent approach would have been to allow 5th to choose their opponent out of 7th and 8th (and the same with 1st, 3rd or 4th). It would not always resolve the problem but often will. In 2015, Richmond would no doubt have chosen Adelaide (and won :) ).
1 and 5 picking their opponents is a fascinating idea. So much psychology in it.

1 and 5 picking their opponents is a fascinating idea. So much psychology in it.
Knee jerk reaction by the AFL & media.

The bye should be before the GF.

There is also a bye for the team that wins their first final ( teams 1-4).

There are what two byes during the season.

This is better for the game and integrity. It’s a war of attrition.

If you are a player who has suffered a concussion it’s an automatic week out.

I would hate to be that player that misses a chance at a Premiership because of it.

That argument for a bye for both teams to prepare is the best scenario and both teams get the week off respectively.

Waiting’s view
———————-

Last edited:
Go the Giants ...... thats it .................DGAF about the rest.

Kingsleys Sherbies ...... .get around em

Reactions: 1 users
I think it’ll be Port and the Dees to win this week. That’d just about nail in a Pies v Lions GF.
And therefore, a Skunks Premiership, as the Lions are useless away from home.

They aren't the WCE of 2018. ...................................................................... F%$7 please God No!!

Was already bad enough sharing the 16 flags mantle with one lot of johnny-come-lately c***s after getting there first. Sharing it with a second would be f****d.

Anyone but Collingwood, please.

Melbourne had one job!!

I reckon the Blues would've been a good shot to knock the Maggots out this week or at worst the Lions would probably turn them out in the prelim at the Gabba.

Good on you GoDeez you useless wankers.

• Haha
"Well there's a big, big sound, from west of the town"

Giants have that intangible that premiership teams have - Everyone winning their position, all best players fit and finding players late in the year.

They also have the belief to win anywhere (won at 11 different venues already this year).

They'll show Port up to be the pretenders they are.

Agree - Giants can win the flag

Like you say, all their stars red hot and all their bit players playing their bit.

Plus theyve got a big tough ruckman, a big fullforward with great mitts, the best CHB in the game,

A superstar in Toby Greene

And a ripper engine room.

Its all there. Strange that they are rank outsiders for the flag i reckon.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree - Giants can win the flag

Like you say, all their stars red hot and all their bit players playing their bit.

Plus theyve got a big tough ruckman, a big fullforward with great mitts, the best CHB in the game,

A superstar in Toby Greene

And a ripper engine room.

Its all there. Strange that they are rank outsiders for the flag i reckon.

Definately Ezy.

As per AFL betting thread, when at 30/1 last week they were big overs once it was confirmed they were likely dodging a trip to Brisbane. Now have them for a massive result.

That quinella was a lovely 24/1 last week as well.

Won 11 of past 14. Only Carlton have a better record over that time. As mentioned before, they are also doing what all premiership teams do, find players stepping up into previous gaps in the team late in the year i.e. Himmelberg, Buckley, Idun Ash all back, Hogan, Daniels, Bedford forward and
Briggs in the ruck.

Here's some more numbers to tickle the taste buds:

1694523224863.png

1694523276035.png

Port did give them a touchup at home a month or so ago, but that will just let a very good coach in Kingsley understand the changes needed to win. That match is also the outlier in both sides form.

The real big prices have gone, but there's still some juice left to squeeze from the bookies.