FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Morocco have been super impressive IMO.

They can cause an upset here.

Sure, but I reckon
The interesting region to actually have a pretty solid World Cup thus far is our own - Asia.

I think it was in the last World Cup that the results from AFC countries had the establishment a bit concerned at the state of the game in the confederation.

Been turned around this time. Japan, South Korea and Australia through to the next round. And Saudi Arabia plus Iran coming away with some decent performances and wins (albeit seriously lacking consistency), despite not progressing.

I still think the region should be cut in two and perhaps Oceania being disbanded.

A West Asia confederation being the Middle East, the ex Soviet west and central Asian republics, plus South Asia (Subcontinent region). An East Asia-Pacific confederation being East and South East Asia plus Oceania.

Yeah, Japan, Korea and Us have carried the AFC banner this world cup. Saudi and Iran haven't embarrassed themselves. Only AFC nation to go down the toilet was Qatar.

I've thought splitting AFC West and East makes sense, with Oceania merging into AFC East. While it does make more sense, everything FIFA, their politics, vested interests and offshore trust funds etc need to be considered first.

Sepp Blatter's reign hasn't been good for FIFA, but it's been good for Australia. He helped get us shifted from Oceania where really its a 2 game playoff against the 5th South American qualifier to get in, to the AFC where we have a good chance to qualify if we deserve it. Since that move we haven't missed a World Cup, though we tried really hard to miss it this year.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
With 16 groups of three is it the 16 winners that go through?

12 groups of 4 will be tricky as 24 will go through

Pretty sure the original aim was to have 16 groups of 3. The top 2 qualify. Essentially 3 games per group (so 48 games from this group phase), the I think it was the current 8 groups of 4 (32 teams) which is 8 games per group or back to what we currently have, so another 76 games, so thats a significant increase in games from the current format.

I think they are looking at 12 groups of 4, which would then be the top 2 from each group and I assume the best 3rd place finishers from the groups, then you move into the current format. I'm assuming 2 group stages, but could just be 24+8 as a last 32, then the winners of those go into the current last 16 format.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Pretty sure there's always been an African team in the quarter finals for a few world cups now, maybe since Roger Milla and Cameroon woke everyone up to African soccer in 1990. So unless you think Morocco will beat Spain, it has to be Senegal.

I don't rate the English team that highly. As for Japan v Croatia, Japan's ability to lose matches after a big win is part of their DNA.

So you aren't saying that you think Senegal will win, but because their HAS to an African team, then you'll pick them.

Personally, with Mane not playing, I can't see England losing. Defensively we've looked very good for much of the world cup, and I'm hoping that we play Foden and Rashford on the wings again, or failing that, (and probably my preferred setup but I don't think Southgate agrees), Rashford Left, Saka right, and Foden in the advanced midfield position in place of Henderson / Mount. Bellingham and Rice to play as the holding mids.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I heard Foster talking earlier, saying he thinks Arnold will go with a 5-4-1. I thought he was more likely to maintain the team, but expect them to play defensively like they did against France, but with the Argies wings not being as quick as Mbappe and Dembele, I think they will hold the wings (Leckie and Goodwin / McGree) a bit higher up the pitch.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, Japan, Korea and Us have carried the AFC banner this world cup. Saudi and Iran haven't embarrassed themselves. Only AFC nation to go down the toilet was Qatar.
Well without being hosts, I doubt Qatar even would have qualified. Possibly even would have missed gaining the supplementary AFC spot to go to playoffs.

The likes of the UAE probably a better side in recent years. And even then, likely we might even be watching an extra South American side, rather than an AFC side in the tournament for that spot.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, as I said above if that's how the rule is meant to be, so be it.

But a lot of these rules were brought in before we had the technology to judge down to the milimetre. I can tell you in my many years of playing soccer, 9,999 out of 10,000 linesmen would have flagged that as out.
you ain't looking down the line or the goal line in this case. A linesman is - they will wait til the whole of the ball is across the whole of the line.

Sure, fine margins though.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Should be...in all ball sports.

In basketball the ball can be a metre out, as long as it doesn't touch the ground and the player doesn't touch the ground.

Different sports have different rules.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Pretty sure there's always been an African team in the quarter finals for a few world cups now, maybe since Roger Milla and Cameroon woke everyone up to African soccer in 1990. So unless you think Morocco will beat Spain, it has to be Senegal.

I don't rate the English team that highly. As for Japan v Croatia, Japan's ability to lose matches after a big win is part of their DNA.

I'd love to see an African team win, it is the only sport in most countries there. Trouble is, Africa is 53 countries. Nigeria looked good in 1 world cup I remember years ago, and then completely f*cked up going defensive against Italy when 1-0 up. Going defensive didn't suit that team and they lost.

Roger Milla was amazing, maybe Cameroon could do well one day.

But, you would have to think it would need to be a country like Nigeria who have the big population, but they need to get their act together, didn't even make the finals.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Poor foul by Behich to give them the free kick. Then Riley Mcgree failed to track Messi. Poor defending by him, can’t believe he just dropped off.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I literally woke up turned the tv on and they scored a goal in the next play. Poor fan performance by myself.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
You need to develop some mental skills when playing soccer not just physical ones.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I find Mooy quite useless and too defensive. Doesn't attack enough from midfield.