FIFA World Cup 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA World Cup 22

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Again as a very very novice of the World game , I watched bits of the England v France game , gee that Mbabbe looks a class above , he’s Shai Bolton like , amazing how the Superstars in any sport are always so far above .

Go the French Fries

He was so good, the others in his team don't even know what he can do. The cross in the 2nd half to Dembele was exquisite, but Dembele didn't even anticipate it. Had he done that, was 1 on 1 with Pickford and probably scores.

Mbappe is 1 of the best players in the world, IMO he's a better player than Benzema who won the Balon D'Or. If Mbappe doesn't win a Ballon D'Or it will be a travesty.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
How did England lose that - adds to their tragic recent history.

Agree Posh - the umpire was reluctant to pay any frees to the English in the first half.

Well I will go for the Atlas Lions - first time an African team has made the semi’s.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How did England lose that - adds to their tragic recent history.

Agree Posh - the umpire was reluctant to pay any frees to the English in the first half.

Well I will go for the Atlas Lions - first time an African team has made the semi’s.

Whilst I'd love Morocco to do it, I'm not sure sure they can win another 2 (maybe 1). I don't want Argentina to win it, so I'm all over Croatia in game 1 and if they win, then yeah lets have Morocco in there with them. If Argies beat Croatia, then I'll want France to get through.

Its similar to ABC with the Pies, ABA.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd like Messi to lift the World Cup. Greatest player of his generation so it would be fitting.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Looks like the Pumas v Roosters for the final.

Scouser BIL very upset today but reckons Kane was best in team to take penalties especially against his Spurs teammate Lloris......really??

Southgate already close to the usual sacking.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Looks like the Pumas v Roosters for the final.

Scouser BIL very upset today but reckons Kane was best in team to take penalties especially against his Spurs teammate Lloris......really??

Southgate already close to the usual sacking.

Kane's first penalty was close to unstoppable. Never a doubt he'd take the second.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Kane's first penalty was close to unstoppable. Never a doubt he'd take the second.

1st penalty was great. Even if Lloris had gone the right way he wouldn't have saved it. Tried to replicate it with the 2nd, but it looked like his run up was a bit shorter, so to generate the same power, needs more backlift which invariably increase the height unfortunately.

Its a game of inches though. You have Maguires header that was close, even Rashfords free kick at the end. Due to Lloris's positioning (probably the only error he made) if that was a couple of inches lower, its a goal as he'd wrong footed himself, all his weight was in his right foot anticipating the free kick over the wall.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Disappointment is huge for me, but there are some significant positives for England.

We know we have several players that can match it with the worlds best. Players like Saka, Bellinghamd, Foden, Rice etc are massive pluses and they are all young.

Perhaps this world cup came too soon for this group, they will mature and become better players.

Taking a look at 2026, the bulk of our side is in place. Ages in brackets are ages in 2026.

GK - Pickford (32)
DR - Alexander-Arnold (28), James (27)
DC - Ben White? (29)
DC - ?
DL - Shaw (31)
DM - Rice (27)
DM -
AMC - Bellingham (23)
AMR - Saka (25)
AML - Foden (25)
S - Kane (33) - Is fit enough to still compete at that age

We probably need another midfielder, or does Bellingham go more defensive and either Mount (27) or Foden play centrally with Rashford (28) or Sancho (26).

Defense was always the question going into this world cup, and there will be a lot of changes by the time the next one comes around, but attacking wise we look very solid. I'd expect Ivan Toney to get a crack for England (once his betting suspension is over I reckon he will play for England at some point, 30 at the next world cup).

I think England are in a good spot going forward and my hopes for an International trophy whilst disappointed after this morning, I'm encouraged for the future.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Whilst I'd love Morocco to do it, I'm not sure sure they can win another 2 (maybe 1). I don't want Argentina to win it, so I'm all over Croatia in game 1 and if they win, then yeah lets have Morocco in there with them. If Argies beat Croatia, then I'll want France to get through.

Its similar to ABC with the Pies, ABA.

yes agree - I have expected Morocco to lose from the round of 16 but they keep surprising - it’s a long shot.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I don't recall seeing anyone jump higher to head a goal than En-Nesyri did. His vertical leap was astonishing.

1670734710020.png

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
OK, to be fair, Maradona gets unfairly remembered by many only for the Hand Of God goal. In that match he was targeted by England and copped a fair few whacks to the head. You can argue one little handball is fair retribution for being hacked at all match.

This was also the match where he scored probably the best individual goal I have ever seen. He slotted the goal in with his 11th consecutive touch of the ball and dribbled what felt like the entire English team.

Both goals in the YouTube below, shame about the grainy footage

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
You guys had to go there didn't you.................................................................................triggered me. I'm now crying in the corner haha

Maradona will always be cheat but as you rightly point out Baloo (and its largely forgotten now as the game is remembered for the Hand of the Tool goal) Maradona scored 1 of the greatest goals of all time in that game.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Disappointment is huge for me, but there are some significant positives for England.

We know we have several players that can match it with the worlds best. Players like Saka, Bellinghamd, Foden, Rice etc are massive pluses and they are all young.

Perhaps this world cup came too soon for this group, they will mature and become better players.

Taking a look at 2026, the bulk of our side is in place. Ages in brackets are ages in 2026.

GK - Pickford (32) - RAMSDALE (Arsenal)
DR - Alexander-Arnold (28), James (27)
DC - Ben White? (29)
DC - ? - TOMORI (AC MIlan)
DL - Shaw (31)
DM - Rice (27)
DM - MADDISON (Leicester) / GALLAGHER (Chelsea)
AMC - Bellingham (23)
AMR - Saka (25)
AML - Foden (25)
S - Kane (33) - Is fit enough to still compete at that age - TONEY (Brentford)

We probably need another midfielder, or does Bellingham go more defensive and either Mount (27) or Foden play centrally with Rashford (28) or Sancho (26).

Defense was always the question going into this world cup, and there will be a lot of changes by the time the next one comes around, but attacking wise we look very solid. I'd expect Ivan Toney to get a crack for England (once his betting suspension is over I reckon he will play for England at some point, 30 at the next world cup).

I think England are in a good spot going forward and my hopes for an International trophy whilst disappointed after this morning, I'm encouraged for the future.
Couple of additions Posh. I think Ramsdale will be #1 by then as well. (Keep an eye on a young keeper named Jo Bursik as well.)

Last edited: