First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Lots of memories, but my daughter and I looked at each other, we were at Punt Rd Oval, in the last quarter in disbelief with about 5 minutes to go when we were both finally convinced it really was ours. Just magic after so many years, and, of course this was the first time my daughter (22 at the time) had seen Richmond successful.

Many moments in the game, that Rance spoil mentioned above, I do always remember Grimes grabbing Betts in the second quarter - I think I put my head in my hands as I was expecting a free to Betts (they should have given one, but what do you expect?), Townsend's tackle, so many magic moments. There was a moment where we kicked a goal after about 4 passes in the forward line to a player in an even better position (Lambert goal? can't remember now) which just summed up the way we were playing - selfless, play the percentages etc.

After so many years, just magic.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
I was with my closest male friend of 35 years (now passed on) & my younger daughter (then 14) at Punt Road. The feeling was surreal & one of disbelief after so many awful years since 1982. The absolute joy & elation of that afternoon at Punt Road and later at Young & Jackson’s in the city was just amazing - will never be fully repeated like that.

My friend & I had also made a pact (probably at a point of despair during one of those desperate years) that if we’d ever live long enough to see another Tiger flag, we’d get a Richmond tattoo - both of us were clean skins & pain adverse. My two daughters were both aware of this ‘deal’. After Dan Butler’s goal, my younger daughter said to me ‘Well, looks like you’ll be getting a tattoo’. The next week I went off to Jake King’s City of Ink & paid the tattoo price to the football gods!! Plus got tattoos of my daughter’s names for good measure

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I had a mate over from Perth. We watched on the box. I said before the game that if we are within 2 goals at half time we're a strong chance. Well we were in front at half time and my nerves started to kick in. Maybe I was just hoping for a good showing by the boys but when it looked like we were right in it, the nerves seriously kicked in.

Mid way through the 3rd quarter Mrs. Quickdraw (Adelaide supporter) stormed off to the bedroom to watch it by herself. She didn't talk to me until the following Wednesday :ROFLMAO:

So when something triggers the memory of that great day I remember, the nerves, the disbelief, the walking on eggshells at home :ROFLMAO:.

You bloody beauty!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Killers Mr Brightside brings a smiie. It's the cherry on the cake, the exclamation mark that we were Premiers.

But the song that triggers me more than Mr Brightside is Forgotten Years. At time it felt like that were our lyrics, that song was about us and the *smile* 35 years we went through to get to where we were. The song made me think "Today is our day".

But it wasn't until the start of the last that I allowed myself to really believe it. When Butler scored with about 7min to go in the last and they cut to Benny, I like many others lost it and watched the remainder of the match in tears, at times sobbing. I still well up now thinking about it.

• Love

fightingfury88

Tiger Cub
Nov 22, 2011
Bendigo
My brother. Waited our whole lives to that point for some sort of Richmond success and then all of a sudden we win a Grand Final. Watching that game from the standing room with him in absolute jubilation as Richmond pull away in the 2nd half is something I'll never forget.

Reactions: 4 users

Honest John

Tiger Cub
Sep 12, 2020
I was standing in the member's dining room all frocked up and only one of a few Richmond supporters. At halftime a lot of people were telling me the Tigers have got it. It was not until Butler kicked that goal in the last quarter that I believed. I ran up 3 flights of stairs and across one fifth of the ground to be with my bride and my brother who were sitting in the outer on the back of my Richmond gold memberships to be with them for the final moments. Hugs all around.

Reactions: 3 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Calmness like I had never experienced before.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Doing the maths with our lead and the minutes remaining - until I was sure we were really gonna win and I could finally relax.

Reactions: 5 users

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Grigg handball to Lambert for a goal in third quarter
That goal is special. It was Lambert who had kicked the ball from the centre square -- to end up kicking the goal himself from 10 metres out as we surged forward. The third quarter itself was pure domination.

Reactions: 6 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I was with one of my brothers and couple of nephews. When George kicked that goal after he got it from Martin I knew. I knew. And just the relief and the jubilation that we won. It was one of my best ever days.

Reactions: 2 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Griggs lollipop handball to Lambert.
A roaring freight train that could not be stopped

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think about me crying like a baby while singing YELLOW AND BLACK after the game, and that I was hugging strangers.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Another question that could be asked.

What would you give to be transported back to the start of that day?

I haven’t been that happy since.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Jack Riewoldt.
Not so much his memorable antics of singing with The Killers post game but instead for putting us 40 points up with the early clutch goal in the last quarter after yet another strong mark.
I lost it right there knowing it was ours & blubbered like a baby in front of my wife & teenage son.
For some it was later but for me then I knew we weren’t going to lose. 37 years of pain & seemingly endless hopelessness finally washed away.
Jack Riewoldt has been instrumental in changing our footy club. The effervescent Tiger was there at the dark times & has helped turn us into a triple Premiership powerhouse.
That towering mark he took in the first quarter was leadership. That chase down tackle in the first quarter was leadership. He set the tone early for others to follow.
He is still my son’s favourite player & Mr Brightside our family’s favourite song.
Jack Riewoldt, (who like his fellow state predecessor) wears his heart his sleeve. All year he played a lone hand as the key forward surrounded by a mosquito fleet. He became an incredibly unselfish team player with a footy brain unmatched. He bleeds for our club & it is he who I think of when I think of the 2017 drought breaking Premiership.
Jack.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Being 45, through the dark ages of the 90s 00s it goes something like this for me!
1671918310864.jpeg