First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

First thing you think of when you think of September 30 2017 ?

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Jack Riewoldt.
Not so much his memorable antics of singing with The Killers post game but instead for putting us 40 points up with the early clutch goal in the last quarter after yet another strong mark.
I lost it right there knowing it was ours & blubbered like a baby in front of my wife & teenage son.
For some it was later but for me then I knew we weren’t going to lose. 37 years of pain & seemingly endless hopelessness finally washed away.
Jack Riewoldt has been instrumental in changing our footy club. The effervescent Tiger was there at the dark times & has helped turn us into a triple Premiership powerhouse.
That towering mark he took in the first quarter was leadership. That chase down tackle in the first quarter was leadership. He set the tone early for others to follow.
He is still my son’s favourite player & Mr Brightside our family’s favourite song.
Jack Riewoldt, (who like his fellow state predecessor) wears his heart his sleeve. All year he played a lone hand as the key forward surrounded by a mosquito fleet. He became an incredibly unselfish team player with a footy brain unmatched. He bleeds for our club & it is he who I think of when I think of the 2017 drought breaking Premiership.
Jack.
Gold post.

Reactions: 7 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I can remember vividly being on the G with Fitzroy supporters hugging them and watching them old time dancing. Then it symbolically started to rain. It was their last game in Melbourne we had belted them in their second last game ever. I never thought anything would top that as a powerful experience. We cried with all the loyal lions.

Then came 2017.

Reactions: 2 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Being at the ground the feelings of almost disbelief when it was sinking in that we were going to win then the overwhelming joy once we won.

Also Benny Gale and Richo breaking down always gets me.

Reactions: 6 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I was standing in the member's dining room all frocked up and only one of a few Richmond supporters. At halftime a lot of people were telling me the Tigers have got it. It was not until Butler kicked that goal in the last quarter that I believed. I ran up 3 flights of stairs and across one fifth of the ground to be with my bride and my brother who were sitting in the outer on the back of my Richmond gold memberships to be with them for the final moments. Hugs all around.

A little the same. I had a seat as a Richmond member. The seat was at top of goal pole height behind the punt road end goal posts and strangely there was no one who was seated next to me.
(So there was one guy we later learnt had passed on but his mates had kept that vacant, which I reasoned was NOT the one left next to mine, as it was on an isle,- and the place holds 100,025, so I figure 100,023 were present.
(I sometimes wonder if maybe the seat next to mine was for that other guy)?

Any way in the last few minutes before half time the team was just together.
Felt we couldn’t lose it from there. Nervous moments to follow but underneath I thought we had it.

Afterwards then walking through the crowd to the members to join my two eldest kids who had decided to ‘sleep’ out overnight in a que to get walk up tickets and the best seats, (which I had done myself to get seats to watch us get over the line against Geelong in 1967).

And on the way being stopped and hugged on two different occasions by unknown, of course beautiful female Tigers who were obviously as happy as I was.

Meeting kids. Cup runneth over.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Watching the clock. Counting and recounting the score (hang on, are we 4 goals up or 5 goals up?). Waiting for the goals ahead to overtake minutes to go, as per Matthews lore. I was so tense I couldn’t speak, with my body writhing and contorting, Richo style, to try and magnetically affect critical contests.
Then the Butters goal…

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The one stand out of the match that I always remember first, when thinking of the match itself, is That Tackle. There are plenty of moments, like Houli's celebration when he kicked true in the first, key goals in the match, key tackles and plays, but That Tackle summed up the game for me. The team was on fire and were on a mission. No one was there just making up numbers. We were adding interest at every contest. Towner's tackle summed up everything about that day.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Mr Brightside just started playing and I instantly think of that glorious day .

Whats the first thing you think of when you think of our 2017 flag ?

i Get an overwhelming sense of peace: an absence of fear; a knowing that everything is as it should and will be.

The closest approximation of the feeling comes from opioids

But the '17 feeling is way faster, stronger, and longer lasting.

I get a slighter version of the sensation, slightly more than opiates, significantly less than 4th decade premierships,

When im sleeping by a campfire, under a vast sky, with good company, a full esky and a reliable ute.

But nothing comes close, to the soulmemory,

Of The 17 Flag

Its the day i believed in god

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Honestly, I'd never felt happier in my life. Don't tell the mrs or kids.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I was there so my memories are related to the game and the crowd.
I was told to be quiet and not tempt fate by a few tiger supporters at halftime when I said we would win, that the crows couldn’t handle the heat. That’s what I remember the most, the realisation late in the 2nd quarter that we could/would actually be premiers.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
37 years of disappointment were alleviated. Interestingly I cried the game before after the GWS win. I actually comforted crying crows supporters on the day. I was somewhat numb. It didn’t sink in for days afterwards.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The thing that stands out in my mind apart from the game and the premiership

I have 2 girls that were aged 29 & 22 at the time and a nephew that was 26 and all are Richmond supporters and members due to me and my love for the RFC . My wife was a Carlton supporter before we met but now is 100% Richmond
My Sister is also Carlton and her Husband is Hawks supporter but my nephew decided to become Richmond mainly because my 2 girls and me constantly in his ear and now is actually the most fanatic of all of us.

All through their lives i felt bad because they never really seen any success and every time we lost by big margins they used to get pissed off and say its all my fault they support Richmond but they loved the club and never really waivered

2017 was a very exciting and nervous year and they were excited and all the way through said we are going to win the flag once we made finals - Me i was no where near as confident as the battle scars were deep over the 37 years but they remained confident and once we once the excitement was through the roof and withing 15 mins they were getting ready to head to swan st and punt rd but i didnt have the energy left and just wanted to watch every thing i could and hit the vodka redbull all night

Kids didnt get back home until 7 am the next morning and they left the car there and caught a cab as they had been drinking all night and had no voice left.

The next day we had a BBQ and caught up with friends and everybody had the yellow/Black on and it went on again until 3 am

The part that got me though is when the 3 kids came up and said THANK YOU we never ever really knew how big this club really was and the army that followed the RFC was so dedicated and they were honoured to be a TIGER and would never change

Needless to say they all have partners now and 2 of them have also become Richmond but the 3rd is still resisting lol but we will get him there ;)

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
37 years of disappointment were alleviated. Interestingly I cried the game before after the GWS win. I actually comforted crying crows supporters on the day. I was somewhat numb. It didn’t sink in for days afterwards.

I felt the same sort of surreal numbness.

I know what you mean about the preliminary as well, in some ways I reckon that was the better experience. AT the siren my kids went to the fence to see Dustin and I was standing on my own at the seats and the emotion was as powerful as anything I've ever experienced.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So different to 1980, I just expected Richmond to win that one, we had that attitude back then. After 37 years of failure it was almost hard to believe Richmond had finally made it back and won a flag.

DS

Reactions: 9 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
This thread had me watching the 1st half replay Xmas eve and part 2... the real fun bit, lastnight winding down from lunch/dinner.
On the day....
After hugging people I didn't know,
my greatest feeling was sort of relief that I'd no longer have to put up with shjt from Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon mates.
To their credit they were the first on the phone to congratulate me... I have no *smile* intention of ever returning the favour!

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
It was my birthday and the first time I could get to a Richmond grand final having watch them play from the late 60’s on TV

My son and I left a family gathering in Sydney and flew down for the day

When the crowd started singing we’re from tiger land well before the final siren I just sat there smiling in disbelief

The single moment I remember the most was the Townsend tackle and the impact it had on Adelaide . Lived for a while in Leeton and when I went back for a visit a few months later his photo was everywhere in the pub

Went there not expecting to win and to do so emphatically was a dream come true

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
The thing that stands out in my mind apart from the game and the premiership

I have 2 girls that were aged 29 & 22 at the time and a nephew that was 26 and all are Richmond supporters and members due to me and my love for the RFC . My wife was a Carlton supporter before we met but now is 100% Richmond
My Sister is also Carlton and her Husband is Hawks supporter but my nephew decided to become Richmond mainly because my 2 girls and me constantly in his ear and now is actually the most fanatic of all of us.

All through their lives i felt bad because they never really seen any success and every time we lost by big margins they used to get pissed off and say its all my fault they support Richmond but they loved the club and never really waivered

2017 was a very exciting and nervous year and they were excited and all the way through said we are going to win the flag once we made finals - Me i was no where near as confident as the battle scars were deep over the 37 years but they remained confident and once we once the excitement was through the roof and withing 15 mins they were getting ready to head to swan st and punt rd but i didnt have the energy left and just wanted to watch every thing i could and hit the vodka redbull all night

Kids didnt get back home until 7 am the next morning and they left the car there and caught a cab as they had been drinking all night and had no voice left.

The next day we had a BBQ and caught up with friends and everybody had the yellow/Black on and it went on again until 3 am

The part that got me though is when the 3 kids came up and said THANK YOU we never ever really knew how big this club really was and the army that followed the RFC was so dedicated and they were honoured to be a TIGER and would never change

Needless to say they all have partners now and 2 of them have also become Richmond but the 3rd is still resisting lol but we will get him there ;)
Great story mate! I watched the game again yesterday on xmass day. We celebrate xmass on xmass eve. Therefore get a chance to relax on xmass day. After lunch every one went for a lay down. Perfect opportunity to watch again one of life greatest moments. I think only the people on this site would understand this.