Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy media , love’m or hate’ m ?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It was a great mark at a great moment - the commentary, the game, the footage, the photos. Legendary.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I grew up when every attempt at a flying mark as accompanied by the "Jezza!!!!!" shout. Kane Cornes' views on most things are irrelevant.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I grew up when every attempt at a flying mark as accompanied by the "Jezza!!!!!" shout. Kane Cornes' views on most things are irrelevant.

Lets face it, Kane Cornes was never really much of a footballer & is now just a failed fireman

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
do we have any professional, knowledgeable, serious and insightful AFL media/ journalists in this country?

Reactions: 1 user

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
The Bounce is on Fox Footy right now and I watched 1 minute before remembering how bad it was and turning it off. Forced, unfunny, creatively barren, cringeworthy. Reminds me of Hey Hey It's Saturday.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The Bounce is on Fox Footy right now and I watched 1 minute before remembering how bad it was and turning it off. Forced, unfunny, creatively barren, cringeworthy. Reminds me of Hey Hey It's Saturday.
Agree but I didn’t mind hey hey , I was only 8 when it was on though ;)

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
do we have any professional, knowledgeable, serious and insightful AFL media/ journalists in this country?

Jake Niall isn't the best wordsmith but you can tell he's a deeper thinker than most.

Conversely, Greg Baum is very good writer but that can sometimes get in the way of his ideas.

I don't know whether Daisy Pearce writes but she's a very impressive interviewer.

I think Peter Ryan gets the balance right between news (facts and proper reportage) and entertainment (content for clicks).

Michael Lovett's writing is fairly dry but he doesn't indulge in the hyperbolic crap of most.

Jason Dunstall's bluster and puffery conceals some good thinking on the game.

Jonathan Howcroft in The Guardian is sensible and Rohan Connolly is the thinking man's Mark Robinson -- someone who is a fan but with bit of coherence.

I think there's plenty of good writing on footy but the commentary and analysis of the game on TV is appalling.

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
In terms of an actual technical mark though it probably wouldn't make many lists of the best marks of all time.

You are a good poster 'n all. Respek. But are you talking about Jezza's Mark?
Jezza hit Jenkins hard. Full tilt. Had little time to adjust anything at all. Many many players have dropped easier grabs.
And he was high. Deceptively high. There are heaps of still photos at different angles to the TV shot confirming this.
And what is a technical mark? There are only two things that make a mark great. Height and was it held. The higher you are the better it is. That's why Roach, Smith, Birdman, etc live on in legend. One of the biggest marks , in the famous game of all, makes it a great mark.
And in the running to be the best of all. Jenkins was 193cm apparently so anyone can do the math.alex-jesaulenko-mark.jpg

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD

I've just watched that segment. Cornes nominated an overrated mark as a great then called one of the greats overrated. Mind boggling.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
You're right, he is deceptively high looking at that shot, higher than I thought.

But I think in terms of big marks, the high kick that sits on a blokes head while you get a run from behind is the most simple to execute. Looks great, but from a players point of view it's a pretty easy to execute grab.

Still takes a lot of skill but I don't think it rates as highly as marks with a higher degree of difficulty. For example I'd say Castagna's mark after the Pickett blind turn was a more difficult mark. Riewoldt took a couple early against the Crows that were more difficult marks.

As far as moments go and the theatre of the game, Jezza has them and most others covered easily though. He's probably a 10/10 on that score and an 8/10 for the actual mark.

A great mark, but I think there's plenty of 9 and 10 out of 10 marks ahead of it as a pure mark, without the theatre. Just an opinion though.

The best thing about Castagna marking the ball is that he looks more surprised than anyone else that he's managed to hold it.

• Haha

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Most of the media in footy are terrible.

Kane Cornes just tries to be 'controversial' all the time and it's so incredibly contrived.

Reactions: 4 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
not so much a case of love/hate, but tolerable/intolerable.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
You're right, he is deceptively high looking at that shot, higher than I thought.

But I think in terms of big marks, the high kick that sits on a blokes head while you get a run from behind is the most simple to execute. Looks great, but from a players point of view it's a pretty easy to execute grab.

Still takes a lot of skill but I don't think it rates as highly as marks with a higher degree of difficulty. For example I'd say Castagna's mark after the Pickett blind turn was a more difficult mark. Riewoldt took a couple early against the Crows that were more difficult marks.

As far as moments go and the theatre of the game, Jezza has them and most others covered easily though. He's probably a 10/10 on that score and an 8/10 for the actual mark.

A great mark, but I think there's plenty of 9 and 10 out of 10 marks ahead of it as a pure mark, without the theatre. Just an opinion though.
I reckon Royce's in the 67 GF is better than Jezza's. It was years before I was born, but for aesthetics, degree of difficulty (off one step, no ride, all leap), and taking the ball at the highest possible point, it might be my favourite, most exemplary Australian football image of all time. I wish I'd seen him play, Dad and my uncle rave about him.

996322-royce-hart.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I reckon Royce's in the 67 GF is better than Jezza's. It was years before I was born, but for aesthetics, degree of difficulty (off one step, no ride, all leap), and taking the ball at the highest possible point, it might be my favourite, most exemplary Australian football image of all time. I wish I'd seen him play, Dad and my uncle rave about him.

996322-royce-hart.jpg
My Dad, too. He was there when Royce took that grab and could never quite believe it.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

996322-royce-hart.jpg
I was there but I was just a young kid.
As you say the reason that mark is so incredible is that he has no back to jump on. Pure leap
He was 19 years old In that game

• Love