Game Day - Richmond v Geelong Preliminary Final | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond v Geelong Preliminary Final

Just watched the third quarter again. I cannot believe how little attention Jacks tap to dusty for the open goal has got. I've thought about this a few times and then I get distracted by little things, like flags, Pickett, margaritas and that. Fair dinkum, it was one of the best pieces of play I've ever seen Jack flew against 3 Geelong players, 3! was going for the tap a long way out, the opposition players were trying to spoil a mark, not stop a tap. Jack with absolute sublime smarts, strength and timing, has beaten 3 geelong defenders to tap the ball to Dusty on a platinum platter. It happened right in front of me at the ground and I just assumed the commentators would be in raptures. But no, no mention, none.. Just "great goal Dusty"etc. Dunno if the radio was onto it. But on telly, zero. amazing play, amazing, and amazing stupidity for the TV commentators to not realise it.

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere.....

12:30 mark of the 3rd qtr vs Lions at the Gabba final, Dusty kicks a ripper goal from sharking the ball off the pack. Have a close look to see who taps it straight into his hands. Exquisitely executed set play from both players ... again.

Last edited:
They were gone in the last, if we kicked straight a 6 to 7 goals win. That result would really test Scott's tender.

No One at geelong has the balls to *smile* him off.
It kills me when they mention scott, as a quality coach.

Reactions: 1 user
Bruce McAvaney is often criticised for the nonsense he comes up with and rightly so. His obsession over the years with Cyril and players with lovely left legs has been cringe-worthy at best. Nonetheless, his comment during the Grand Final about Richmond being a ‘High IQ’ team was absolutely spot on.

That is exactly what they are. We have some of the best ‘readers of the play’ in the competition. Jack, Dusty, Rance, Edwards, Vlastuin, Grimes, Caddy and Rioli are all amazing when the ball is in their area. A big part of our success is due to this.

The last couple of pages of this thread are full of examples of this ‘High IQ.’

Reactions: 5 users
One wonders what Richmond have to do ... the league should be thankful for whatever virus it was that swept through the club last September.
Were it not for that, the AFL would have had its third three-peat in 19 years, not a good thing for it's equalization efforts when you consider that there had only been three of them (plus Collingwood's four-in-four) in the previous 104 years.

OMG folks. Visiting a Cats supporter, middle aged,sensible, intelligent......ha ha ha.
Adamant that with Hawkins, Duncan and any one else.....Cats would have won !
I mentioned our outs and game day injuries....blank.
I mentioned we kicked 8 to 2 after half time....Cats would have been 8 ahead, so no difference.
Absolutely no, none, recognition of our dominance. Completely delusional.
I was stunned. Not one comment of acceptance.

His wife then said how boring the GF was and why did the Giants play so poorly!
I mentioned Tigers were far better......blank.
Absolutely no recognition of our dominance!
She thought Pies v Giants would have been. A good GF.
OMG......all other team fans are blind and deluded.

We are going out for dinner...will be a quiet night.
I so hope we belt them all for years to come.

The very concept of Richmond being so good is a very confronting thought for many people. I was having a coffee catch up with mate this afternoon (Carlton supporter). He is very good mate of mine and seems to be enjoying our success almost as much as I am.. his view is whilst Carlton are garbage it doesn’t matter to him who is doing well so he is quite happy to give credit where it is due.

The third person at this meeting was my very salty Essendon-supporting business partner.

“So,” says my mate to my business partner. “How do you feel about the Tigers winning again next year? Or even the next two?”

“Can’t say that, no way. There are no guarantees. Players get injured and suspended. If they lose a few key players, the Tigers will come back to the pack really quickly. That’s the most important factor in who wins and who loses, “ came back his cry-baby reply.

Mate looks at me, smiles and rolls his eyes. And I said, “Do you mean like the injuries that Richmond had this year?”

It must be hard to be a Richmond-hater in this new world.

Reactions: 3 users
The very concept of Richmond being so good is a very confronting thought for many people. I was having a coffee catch up with mate this afternoon (Carlton supporter). He is very good mate of mine and seems to be enjoying our success almost as much as I am.. his view is whilst Carlton are garbage it doesn’t matter to him who is doing well so he is quite happy to give credit where it is due.

The third person at this meeting was my very salty Essendon-supporting business partner.

“So,” says my mate to my business partner. “How do you feel about the Tigers winning again next year? Or even the next two?”

“Can’t say that, no way. There are no guarantees. Players get injured and suspended. If they lose a few key players, the Tigers will come back to the pack really quickly. That’s the most important factor in who wins and who loses, “ came back his cry-baby reply.

Mate looks at me, smiles and rolls his eyes. And I said, “Do you mean like the injuries that Richmond had this year?”

1571995501546.png

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah, they’re running out of reasons to not rate us. Even the can’t win away thing is a myth. It happened one year 2018. This season we travelled interstate 6 times and won 4 of them.

Bruce McAvaney is often criticised for the nonsense he comes up with and rightly so. His obsession over the years with Cyril and players with lovely left legs has been cringe-worthy at best. Nonetheless, his comment during the Grand Final about Richmond being a ‘High IQ’ team was absolutely spot on.

That is exactly what they are. We have some of the best ‘readers of the play’ in the competition. Jack, Dusty, Rance, Edwards, Vlastuin, Grimes, Caddy and Rioli are all amazing when the ball is in their area. A big part of our success is due to this.

The last couple of pages of this thread are full of examples of this ‘High IQ.’
What about Taylor's comment in the second when Dusty kicked his second " "never seen anything like it"

Reactions: 1 user
What about Taylor's comment in the second when Dusty kicked his second " "never seen anything like it"

That goal and, for that matter, Dusty’s last goal are fantastic examples of high IQ football. Not only did Dusty know where the ball was going but he also could see that his opponent had misread the movement of the ball and therefore it was not worth worrying about him. He may as well have been on the moon.

And he did this not once...but twice. In the same game. And kicked a goal each time.

What a privilege it is to watch these guys play.

Yep......and lucky Geelong had a few outs or we would have been badly beaten!!!!!
I am still stunned by the complete blindness and refusal to accept the obvious by oppo supporters.
Actually, I am stunned by the general population's ignorance full stop.

Anyway....mini rant over. Grrrr. Just so happy we are far far and away better than other teams and expect to win now no matter the score. Joy!!!

Very impressed by Caddy's return games...what a beast he is for a winger. Then there is Bolton's upward improvement, Stack, Pickett, Ross .

No wait..what I really love is the forward line of Dusty, Lynch, Jack, Rioli and Shai..and George's frenetic head slapping comedy. No team will contain this for a , let alone a game.

Feeling better now.

That goal and, for that matter, Dusty’s last goal are fantastic examples of high IQ football. Not only did Dusty know where the ball was going but he also could see that his opponent had misread the movement of the ball and therefore it was not worth worrying about him. He may as well have been on the moon.

And he did this not once...but twice. In the same game. And kicked a goal each time.

What a privilege it is to watch these guys play.
Not real sure about that.
In the first goal, Martin is actually leading in the race for the ball but he's on the right side of Taylor (Sam) and the ball drifts left. I doubt he thought Taylor had misjudged but I reckon he thought if Taylor gets it there is nothing I can do about it. A normal good footballer would have followed Taylor and attempted a tackle or whatever, but Martin just gambles on it drifting even further left and past Taylor which is what happened. This is why Taylor (Brian) went out of his tree. The casual viewer would have been impressed but Taylor knew what a brilliant piece of football it was but was just so exasperated he couldn't quite articulate himself well enough.
As for the second goal, Martin actually pushed Shaw into the path of the ball and off balance.
Still fantastic bits of football both of them whichever way you slice it.
But I think we have hijacked this thread somewhat.

Chrissy still struggling with the preliminary final loss.
"We were up by 21 points against the best team in the comp and couldn't do the job"
"I starting to think you can never get over loses like that"

2 goals after half time maybe Scott should get a job in the premier league

He knew.

Before the game, he knew.

He knew what was coming...

"They've (Richmond) made a few minor tweaks to the way they've been playing since then, but I think to look on the positive side, and I don't think it means that much, but certainly our players aren't looking back thinking we can't beat them," Scott told reporters.

"I think we do have a method that troubles them, I'm not a big fan of looking too far back but I don't think we were anywhere near as good a team as we are now, last year.

"And I think they were a better team last year than they are now.

"We played them twice (last year) and got roughly within a kick those times (three point and 18-point losses) as well.

"For what it's worth, our players would think, 'Well if we get the game on our terms there is a way to beat them'."

Kind of backed fired spectacularly.
Looks like a complete goose now

The media still rate Geelong for a high top 8 finish.
My fingers remain crossed that they miss the 8 on percentage.

The media still rate Geelong for a high top 8 finish.
My fingers remain crossed that they miss the 8 on percentage.

They rate them highly because they play at that torpedoe shaped ground.
They win 7 and plus a couple against shiiter sides elsewhere.
They get enough to get into the 8.
Pity the side is soo slow and old.
I actually laugh watching them play.
Taylor, Henderson and hawkins in the same side.
Ive seen turtles move quicker