Game Day - Tigers v Blues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers v Blues

Stats schmats. Shorty butchered some fairly crucial footy especially in the first half. When you've got control of the ball all your team mates set up n position to get away from the opposition n create opportunity and option. Butcher the ball n you simply give the opposition a free hit because all your team is out of defensive position and in creative.

Reactions: 4 users
A rusty start but given the first game of the season, to be expected. I have two worries.

1. Will this be the opposition tactic - flood our forward line and then slingshot - at one stage, all 36 players were inside our 50m - ugly footy
2. The selection of Mansell was very defensive - he doesn't bring a lot to the table - we have better tacklers and many more players that can kick a goal - disappointed to start the season with that sort of forward line selection

On the positive side, I thought D. Rioli was excellent, Pickett will improve with the run, Taranto got plenty of the ball

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of players had very limited pre seasons n bugger all practice match conditioning n it showed big time as we were rusty as buggery. Stuffed up what should have been a win, but at least we didn't lose either so put the half points in the pocket n move along. 23 games to be played this year n clubs will need to be super careful in managing the overall fitness n game time of the players. Doubt we could execute much worse than we did last night, but there's plenty of improvement n polish to come in this area.
Reckon overall we did a fairly good job of limiting the Bloosers scoring capacity when they had control while also still showing our capability of damaging the oppo by scoring five in a qtr.
Expecting we'll stay around the middle of the pack up till mid season with a stronger second half to the year putting us into decent finals contention, after that things become a raffle.
There'll always be a team or three that start off like they're invincible n try to make a statement early then die in the arse later in the year. Plus now with the handicap draw the AFL puts out every year there'll be some teams that get a very soft draw comparatively that will look like world beaters until things get important.

Reactions: 6 users
Great summary. for me it was also the clearance and work rate around the ground. if we keep this up and improve our kicking to position, We are COMING. one last point, kicking from full back, I would prefer a couple of short kicks, then run and kick long. Kicking long from full back, doesn't work.
We aren't clean at stoppages.
If can get our hands on the ball and the 1st disposal is clean we will score.
At the moment its a hard ball get, get the ball out to Graham or Flappers that usually just boot it down tha ground.
It has to change to quick handball. That's why losing Lambert is a massive loss.
He was that class outside player that would get that possession out from the contest, but his disposal was A1.
Hopper will be that bloke that wins the ball and gets it out to the Dow's, Sonsie's, Clarke's etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Stole 2 points, did the Blooze. Had them on toast, should be heartily ashamed of themselves for letting that one slip away. Were the 4-5 goal better side on the night.

Our pressure was good for much of the game, but the game bypassed Mansell for much of it. Not sure what to do with that role. I understand why Dimma wanted the extra defensive look, but Mansell got nowhere near any of their defenders for most of the game.

Defensive forwards just don't make sense anymore - rule changes over the last few years have made them obsolete. And if they're not goalkickers in their own right, the risk is the opposition will be comfortable zoning off and double teaming the natural forwards.

If you have to choose between playing a defender in the forward line who'll never kick a goal, or playing a natural forward who'll demand a defender but not put on as much pressure going the other way, I'd take the natural forward every day of the week. The flow-on benefits to the rest of the forward line outweigh the marginal benefit of running a bit closer behind the opposition's chief rebounder.

Cumberland should have played.

Reactions: 4 users
Stole 2 points, did the Blooze. Had them on toast, should be heartily ashamed of themselves for letting that one slip away. Were the 4-5 goal better side on the night.
Not sure about that KR.
From what I saw on Fox it was a tight contest after 1/2 time.
Nail biting stuff, but agreed we stuffed up in goal kicking, except for that last kick by Lynch.

Re watching it , again to me it screams out that we need class forward of the ball, Dimmas only one 3 flags with this pressure stuff ;) , seriously with all teams flooding back , rushed shots at goal from “pressure players” end up just giving the ball backto the opposition, we must get guys like Clarke and Sonsie having shots from inside 50 , that’s where real pressure comes from ,the scoreboard . MJ is great with the pressure , however not great with the foot skills , Mansells foot skills are poor , Jack, Dusty and Shai don’t offer a lot in defensive pressure , that’s why we need to make the most of our chances .

Reactions: 1 users
For those who gave a spray about Short here are his stats.
Not far behind Dion.
17 kicks, 15 disposals, 2 handballs, 6 marks, etc., etc.
Pretty good night in a team that was far below what we expected.

Jayden Short7900171526301479177
Impact?

How was the kick to dusty on wing that resulted in turnover goal?

Another meh game from a meh player.

Watch how D Rioli plays the game and compare him to Short. Chalk and cheese. Short won't have a position come years end if we don't have injuries.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry but thats absolute *smile* mate.

Jack was pretty good tonight, it may not have come over so well on TV, but at the ground he was presenting well, but a lot of our kicking was poor and in many cases was kicked to the advantage of the defender and not Jack and probably looked like Jack was trailing on TV which wasn't the case.

The ball use inside 50 tonight was well below the standard that it should be, constantly to the advantage of the Carlton defenders (who love a block by the way, wasn't this what the extra ump was brought in for???).

Personally thought we were the better team, we controlled much of the game. Kicking for goal was generally average, Shai missed 2 he should have done better with, Lynch missed an easy enough 1 in the 1st quarter, we had what 6 out on the fulls, some trying to take the miracle shot. Ross should have gone for the top of the square, Prestia did the same in the 3rd quarter, Miller clearly didn't want to take the 1 he marked in the pocket. We need to be better than that and play the %'s, which we didn't do tonight.

There were plenty of good things to come out of the game. D Rioli was immense, comparing him to Saad at the game, and gee Daniel didn't half make Saad look very very average. Grimes after a bit of a patchy season last year was outstanding. Lynch was excellent after a pathcy pre-season. Graham was excellent. Pickett was good (subbed off was a pre game plan confirmed by Dimma). Taranto just slotted into the team seamlessly.

Our pressure was good for much of the game, but the game bypassed Mansell for much of it. Not sure what to do with that role. I understand why Dimma wanted the extra defensive look, but Mansell got nowhere near any of their defenders for most of the game.

BTW Mitch McGovern proved yet again what a massive spud he is. Was manning MRJ for much of the game, so much for playing as a tall!!
Thanks you are so right about TV v being there

Balta didn't touch the ball off the boot of Curnow and he also didn't get a touch in the last qtr either.
Not sure where his best position is. Possibly 2nd ruckman not a forward & now he is showing signs he can't read the ball coming into D50 therefore defending shouldn't be his position either.
A night to forget from Balta.
McKay absolutely destroyed him. McKay shouldve kicked 5

Sorry but thats absolute *smile* mate.

Jack was pretty good tonight, it may not have come over so well on TV, but at the ground he was presenting well, but a lot of our kicking was poor and in many cases was kicked to the advantage of the defender and not Jack and probably looked like Jack was trailing on TV which wasn't the case.

The ball use inside 50 tonight was well below the standard that it should be, constantly to the advantage of the Carlton defenders (who love a block by the way, wasn't this what the extra ump was brought in for???).

Personally thought we were the better team, we controlled much of the game. Kicking for goal was generally average, Shai missed 2 he should have done better with, Lynch missed an easy enough 1 in the 1st quarter, we had what 6 out on the fulls, some trying to take the miracle shot. Ross should have gone for the top of the square, Prestia did the same in the 3rd quarter, Miller clearly didn't want to take the 1 he marked in the pocket. We need to be better than that and play the %'s, which we didn't do tonight.

There were plenty of good things to come out of the game. D Rioli was immense, comparing him to Saad at the game, and gee Daniel didn't half make Saad look very very average. Grimes after a bit of a patchy season last year was outstanding. Lynch was excellent after a pathcy pre-season. Graham was excellent. Pickett was good (subbed off was a pre game plan confirmed by Dimma). Taranto just slotted into the team seamlessly.

BTW Mitch McGovern proved yet again what a massive spud he is. Was manning MRJ for much of the game, so much for playing as a tall!!
Yes, 90 000 people saw last night who was more deserving of the AA HBF position last year..............

We take the 2 points but geez we should’ve won! 66 inside 50’s to 45 should be at least a 3-4 goal win! Most of the stats went our way except 2, center clearances 10-6 and free kicks suprise surprise! Our pressure was good, many repeat inside 50's but didn't capitalize, we had 70 tackles to 55.

We missed too many easy shots, in the first qtr, lynch, Graham, and a Taranto snap.

In the third when Lynch had his goal reversed because it was touched and then when he was running into an open goal and couldn’t get his boot directly on the foot and got touched. And late in the third Bolton does an inside banana kick, silly, and hits the post (on the full).

In the last quarter Bolton again directly in front decides to kick across the body. I love him but can get a bit showboaty and gave up a 50 in the 3rd qtr which resulted In a goal to Carlton. In the last Ross had a shot but couldn’t even get a point from 35-40 meter shot.

We had the ascendancy in the last six or seven minutes and had more opportunities on goal in that time and Lynch should’ve been kicking to win the game not draw it.

It was swirly but I liked our forward handball game we sliced through them many times but tended to blast away into forward 50, not too much lowering the eyes!

Last edited:
3 improvements from last year

1. centre clearances
2. didnt leak as many goals
3. didnt fade in the last quarter

probably all three improvements largely due to the better midfield depth

Balta didn't touch the ball off the boot of Curnow and he also didn't get a touch in the last qtr either.
Not sure where his best position is. Possibly 2nd ruckman not a forward & now he is showing signs he can't read the ball coming into D50 therefore defending shouldn't be his position either.
A night to forget from Balta.
McKay absolutely destroyed him. McKay shouldve kicked 5
I reckon McKay was getting beaten first half,so he started presenting down the ground more after half time ,every team would take only 1 goal from McKay

Reactions: 1 user
Our mids seemed to lack cohesion in the centre clearance. I noticed a few times that they would win the ball from the ruck contest and look to each other rather than having an instinctual connection. Were caught doing this a few times.. They need time (as others have said). I thought hopper had a stinker. Terrible disposal and very hesitant but will obviously get better. 1 or 2 more pressure applyin, fast, skilled young fellas required in the line up I recon. And the coach needs to be reminded that current form is the only form when it comes to selections. At least 1 or 2 too many getting a game on past performances or hopeful form projection. I don’t want to jump on Ross as so many are on him but he is not an impact player. Why the *smile* would you play him as a sub? And mansell has done nothing ever suggesting he is a quality forward. So why go in 1 1/2 players down? Our forwards too slow and not enough marking options (shoving players in the forward line does not make them forwards), our midfield lacked cohesion, our defence was undermanned. Coaches need a rocket but a draw was a good result given we squandered a lot of chances.