GAME DAY Tigers V Lions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY Tigers V Lions

Losing from 42 points down, was that very Brisbaney?

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
We won a close one, woohoo.

We do seem to be better when it is a close game where we are coming from behind, although the North game doesn't fit with that, we lose too many when we have a good lead.

We were rubbish in the first 1 and a half quarters, even so, with some of the easy shots we missed we should have been closer.

Much better in the second half. Desperate football and much better run and overlap. The one thing which does still worry me is that I reckon we are still miles away from applying the sort of pressure you need to apply against better teams. No idea what the pressure points were but not suffocating like our best years.

Interestingly we had less inside 50s than our opposition, unusual for Richmond. Both sides had high scoring percentage for inside 50 entries. The ball was going too cleanly into both forward lines, giving the defence little chance. But there is an issue with our defensive set up, way too much space given to the Brisbane forwards. Late in the Freo game the defence was magnificent, closed up space very well, but this week, leaving too many holes. A few decent efforts there with players coming in from the side to spoil which is about the only way to spoil a good lead.

I thought Nank looked a bit less restricted this week but still not right, no idea why we are playing him when he is so clearly injured.

Cumberland doing what Cumberland does - he just turns up where the ball is about to go. Sign him up, players who can read the game that well are not easy to find. Sonsie also good.

Certainly a few quiet today. Pickett has dropped off a bit, put him in the middle and wake him up, he is capable. Can't see why there would be any issue with that tackle of his, he put out his arm in a quick piece of play and got the Brisbane player high, free kick nothing more. Balta was erratic, but clearly is so much better as a defender. Midfield still need work, Shai does not have the tank for a lot of time in the middle, not sure he is capable of that role, but when he does have a turn in the middle we do better, need to be strategic about when we put Shai in the middle. Graham pretty quiet. Cotchin does well but his kicking is unreliable, could not believe when Lynch passed to him for a shot on goal. Shedda is not the player he once was but a few moments today.

The umpiring, surely this is a p!ss take. Rioli grabs the ball and it tackled within a nanosecond and it is a free for holding the ball, prior opportunity? Yeah, none. Grimes, in the first minute of the game is running to the ball and the Brisbane player grabs his arm, ok, we're not paying that as holding the man today? Oh, wait a minute, next minute they pay holding the man for a slight touch when the player isn't in possession, they they pay it, then they don't - all over the place. But the piece de resistance has to be that free to Balta with accompanying goal review. Let's break this down a little shall we? Ok, so free to Balta, but they called for the goal review as the umps were so clueless they thought he was a forward - WTF? Are they really so unaware of the game they don't know which team is kicking to which end? It is laughably bad and clearly not at a standard we should expect in professional sport. FFS something has to give, the adjudication makes a dog's brekkie look well organised. I figure they were evening up the frees in the second half as they were gifting them to Brisbane earlier in the game, at one stage it was 5-1.

Nice to come away with a win, hopefully a bit of confidence from that game. I'm still not convinced as I don't think our structures are right, we need to work on clearances and the pressure is not what it once was. Still, that's a lot of room for improvement, we can be so much better than this.

DS

Reactions: 8 users
watching the replay. I wasn't hearing things, After McCarthy 'goal', ump says to Balta, 'yes its your free kick, we just want to check if its a goal'. That doesn't make any sense.
Yeah i thought that too. If he thought Balta was a forward, then when the goal was announced he would have given the all-clear. Unless he was told (or realised) just as they were announcing the decision.

One of the great days at the football.

The G was loud and angry my friends.

A truly hostile environment in the second half.

Cauldron of noise and energy. The Lions were shot at the 15 minute mark of the third.

Mentally fragile front runners versus a team who have won it all three times.

Forever indebted to my family to be born a solider in the Tiger army.

Others could only dream of it.
Yep 100%...the loudest Ive heard 40K make that kinda noise.

The dumpires helped wind us all up even more.

Truly a great day to be a Tiger.

Reactions: 3 users
Again Fagan is looking at the stats and can’t understand why they didn’t win. Missed out on the one essential one kicking a winning score.
IMO with Grandpa Fagan there, Robinson, Hipwood and the Salty Scott clone Mathieson, this mob will not win the big one.

We're gonna find out......and soon.

Reactions: 1 user
1st game live since Sydney last year.
Without pace in our side we stink.
As soon as Rioli came on we started moving the ball forward was pace.
Not sure we would ever get a free kick to Balta like that ever again. But I will take it.
Pickett almost costs us a win,
It's very hard from level 1 to tell who turned the game, but lynch and Bolton were unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
We may be older but the hunger remains.
We have shown we can mix it with the top 4 sides these past 2 weeks.
What an incredible day yesterday. Best H & A win since West Coast round 22 2019. Going to the footy was pure joy again.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I don't even think it was HTB. Tackled as soon as he got it (no prior, arms weren't free to dispose the ball) then eventually brought to ground, they didn't keep him wrapped up so he got up and kicked a goal. What was illegal about it?
Yep. Game after game we see players tackled, spun 360 plus n dragged down before they make any attempt to dispose of the ball or, even worse, simply let the ball dribble free. About time we got a non call from the maggots that let Cummerbund create a goal from nothing.

Gez that first quarter and start of second quarter was horrible I reckon we gifted them atleast 6 goals silly mistakes all round , but Jayden Short was killing us.

I was at the game just got in. Your comment is 100% correct.

MRJ was on fire.

He lit the fuse.
Not only should MRJ start on the ground. RFC should be chasing another speedy forward

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah i thought that too. If he thought Balta was a forward, then when the goal was announced he would have given the all-clear. Unless he was told (or realised) just as they were announcing the decision.
That's spot on the umpire thought Balta was the forward.
'Then Sevic told the officiating umpire, "Hey Dk head Hardwick plays them out of position' 'ok'

• Haha