Game Day - Tigers v Swans | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers v Swans

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFLCA

10 Mills
5 Lambert
4 Short
3 Graham, Vlastuin, Fox
2 McIntosh

Totals

PlayerVotesRankGmsCareerAge Last GmCaCoHaStMeSy
Lambert, Kane15eq 25th610128y229d105
Prestia, Dion9eq 65th516027y274d9
Houli, Bachar8eq 74th421132y61d8
Balta, Noah6eq 95th21520y263d6
Higgins, Jack6eq 95th53821y115d6
Cotchin, Trent5eq 108th523930y96d41
Nankervis, Toby5eq 108th37425y335d5
Martin, Dustin4eq 123rd522929y16d4
Rioli, Daniel4eq 123rd58223y87d4
Short, Jayden4eq 123rd67724y170d4
Graham, Jack3eq 146th44322y138d3
Vlastuin, Nick3eq 146th614726y84d3
McIntosh, Kamdyn2eq 171st39326y100d2
Lynch, Tom J.1eq 190th616227y255d1

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Johnny has to be called out here. Let's take a look at three examples.

In the first example, midway through the second quarter, there are 12 Swans inside our F50, and a total of 14 behind the ball (that we can see). That compares with seven Tigers inside the F50 (Caddy, I think it is, has just stepped out).

Mid 2nd Q.jpg

The next example is from late in the second quarter. Here there are nine Swannies in our F50 and seven Tigers. All up, behind the ball, there are 12 Swans and nine Tigers.

Late 2nd Q.jpg

In the final example, there are nine Swans in our F50 (that we can see) compared with seven Tigers. Behind the ball are 12 Swannies and nine Tigers.

Mid 4th Q.jpg

Each of these balls came into our F50 from the wing. So the Swans simply had no time to run into our F50. They were camped there, pure and simple.

Don't give us 6-6-6, Johnny. That's nothing more than a good old porky pie.

Reactions: 17 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We would have won more comfortably if the umpires were consistent on holding the ball. Lynch in the third quarter at the top of the goal square, and Jack in the last 30 out, both tackled opponents who dropped the ball. That's a free kick, and was paid as such against Eggs and Caddy in those respective quarters, and again wasn't paid to Graham against Mills in the last.

As others have said, we need to find the short hit-up and take the shot from 50 rather than bombing deep to the flood. Graham had a free about 60 out in the third and bombed long when Vlastuin had made space near the 50 with room to run to 49. Back him in. Same quarter, when Bakes finished his triple-effort by lobbing the ball over Shai's head in the pocket, he had Jack with a metre's space on his man for the 16m pass. Give it.

Reactions: 5 users

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Longdouche's meltdown simply underpins the fact that he really has nothing to offer as a coach at this point.
He is bereft of ideas and creativity.
As happy as I am with the 4 points, that game yesterday was absolutely putrid.
Dimma had every right to say what he did.

Reactions: 3 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
Just saw a snippet of the snap press conference Longmire held today, and he was in full Jedi mode, “There were not 24 men behind the ball, there is nothing to see here”..., as he waved the reporters away.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
It's not the done thing, the coaches watch each other's backs. Hardwick was frustrated and apologised.

Now Longmire wants to play the victim and milk it. Must be something in the water up there.
But as you said Longmire still took the opportunity for a free swing.

That’s the problem with this sport. Everyone wants to be each other best friend. Would never happen in other sports around the world. Could you imagine Mourinho apologising for these sort of comments?

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Longdouche's meltdown simply underpins the fact that he really has nothing to offer as a coach at this point.
He is bereft of ideas and creativity.
As happy as I am with the 4 points, that game yesterday was absolutely putrid.
Dimma had every right to say what he did.
Not only is he bereft of ideas he is destroying the brand that pays his wages.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not only is he bereft of ideas he is destroying the brand that pays his wages.
Someone needs to remind Longmire that they kicked a total 4 goals in their 2018 elimination final loss to GWS, and 5 goals in 2017 when they lost their semi final against he Cats.
Horse coaches a *smile* brand of footy.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
No wonder Papley wanted out. Who'd want to be a forward at Sydney right now.

Reactions: 1 user

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
OK, fair enough then. Hard to know exactly - those at the ground would have to comment as the cameras won't capture what is happening.

I was there unfortunately. Never thought I would say that about witnessing a Tigers win.

It was truly putrid to watch. After we kicked the first 3 goals Longmire went into complete damage control.

I imagine with all our outs he gave his mob a good chance to win prior to the game.

When it became obvious to him we were going to be too good for them he went 100% defensive and shut the game down.

As Dimma said, they were never going to kick goals with those tactics, but neither were we really.

IMO, if coaches are seen as custodians of the game, which you hear quite often, then Longmire should be ashamed of himself.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Partly our fault apparently......

• Angry

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
You really need more information to make that call, it's all about the ball movement and game situation leading up to that event.

Every team in the competition will take 12-16 players into the defensive 50 when they have time to set it up. If that was after slow ball movement, repeat entries or a slow play or even a turnover on rebound then it would be more unusual if they didn't have the numbers back.

Yeah probably, the difference being when the defensive team wins the ball back they all sprint forward looking to create options.

That wasn’t happening though

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
You really need more information to make that call, it's all about the ball movement and game situation leading up to that event.
You're welcome to watch each example back and make your own assessment but they appear to underline Hardwick's point about us finding it hard to score but the Swans giving themselves no chance to score.

In example 1, the Swans move forward for the 20 seconds from 12' left to play. Vlastuin wins the ball at half back but a poor Dusty handball in the guts leads to a 50-50 ball with 11'30" to play. At 11'20", after a free kick is awarded our way, Eggs kicks the ball to Rioli, who makes the kick you see in the still frame I posted. At the exact time Rioli takes the mark, three Swans with no opponent can be clearly seen in our F50. In an instant, they are joined by a fourth "extra" guarding space at the top of the 50.

Example 2 is Broad tearing up the wing. Yes, this is a repeat I50 but by this point the Swans had no intention to score. They exit our F50 with 3'30" left on the clock. A couple of efforts by Grimes at half back scrub the ball back inside our F50. At 3'10" the Swans again exit our F50 but Stephens kicks it straight to Vlastuin on the wing with not a single Swannie in sight! The ball is quickly transferred to Broad who bounces once then drives the ball forward. At the precise moment he kicks it, there are 12 Swans and six Tigers in our F50. Unbelievable.

Example 3 is possibly the most flagrant of all. With 13'30" left on the clock, the Swans exit our F50 where Baker takes the mark. Remarkably, there are 12 Swans again in our F50 when Baker kicks the ball back in. Four of them contest with Lynch. They can do that because they have numbers everywhere to mop up the spillage. They made no effort to go forward when they had possession and their structure in front of the ball was non-existent.

Every team in the competition will take 12-16 players into the defensive 50 when they have time to set it up.
The difference in this game was the Swans didn't move out of defence once they'd won the ball. They knew we'd likely win it back so they stayed put.

No matter which way you look at it, they parked the bus.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Jonathon Brown
Reckons 'Cathwaite' was our loose man :rotfl1

Attachments

• IMG-20200713-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200713-WA0002.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Robbo reckons Longmire won the flght.
Brown Reckons we allowed Cathwaite to play loose up the ground, leaving Mills alone in the back line.
Pity Blockhead can't count to see the extra 4 Sydney players goal keeping.
The footy shows are just bulkshiit

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yeah probably, the difference being when the defensive team wins the ball back they all sprint forward looking to create options.

That wasn’t happening though
I'm going with the evidence from eyewitnesses who were there (several on PRE) as well as what I can see in the still shots with my own eyes.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
IMO, if coaches are seen as custodians of the game, which you hear quite often, then Longmire should be ashamed of himself.
Damn straight. And it's why it was so refreshing to hear Hardwick call him out on it.