Game Day - Tigers v Swans | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tigers v Swans

Blockhead showed footage on the couch and mentioned Cathwaite as the player.
The footage actually had a tag with Cathwaite written on it.
I know he wasn't playing
Yeah I saw that footage and the Carthwaite mistake. I didn't mean to infer it was your mistake, if you thought that, just Browny's.

Reactions: 1 user
What’s all this talk about the Swans having a plus one in defence? The game I watched showed the Swans having a plus *smile* 12 in defence!!

Longmire is almost as bad as Salty Scott. Both one a flag very early days and have not been able repeat in 10 years or so. Both have a very good winning percentage predominantly due to a massive home ground advantage. But ultimately both have fallen short in finals since they last won it 8-9 years ago.

At least Horse has made the GF a couple of times since. That said I reckon he’s had his day. He’s way too defensive.

Right on. Swans had no intention of scoring. It doesn't matter which team you are, if your opposition floods back without a thought of scoring themselves it makes it extremely difficult to score yourself.

Surely not much science to putting all your numbers behind the ball, managing just 18 possessions inside your F50 for the whole game and indirectly scoring two of your three goals from 50m penalties?

That's freaky. 18 possessions in F50 for the match? That's taken it to a whole new level.

Game day threads are clearly the weakness of this forum but on the plus side, it gives you a great insight into various posters understandings of the game.
A "weakness". Didn't know PRE was aiming to be Fan Forum of the year?

And given the dislike you have for certain post/ers maybe run two game day forums.....one barracking style, the other measured analysis.

My view is that if you are the footy you hear all sorts of views from all sorts of people so Game Day is like that. The only thing missing are opposition fans.

Reactions: 4 users
What a piece of excrement Kane Cornes is.

Cornes is just one of many that hate us.
They were missing 5 players
We were missing 7 Premiership players.
But don't let that get in the way of a good rant..
Robbo was wearing a red & white scarf. "John was really strong at firing back at Hardwick"

As they say in the classics, 'play on!'.
In which of the classics did someone say 'play on'? Wuthering Heignts? Hamlet? One of Hemingway's lesser works perhaps?

I suspect your assertion to be fake news.

It's well known that, in The Taming of the Shrew, there's a brief reference to De Goey's off-season hijinx, and Richard Lounder is mentioned twice in separate works by Jane Austen, but 'play on' ... I very much doubt it.

Reactions: 3 users
That's freaky. 18 possessions in F50 for the match? That's taken it to a whole new level.
Turns out I slightly exaggerated @tigerlove ; it was actually the grand sum of 19 possies according to the official stats!

Yep, that combined with the published heat maps gives you the real insight into just how negative the Swannies were.

I should also add that the Tigers had ten players who'd played fewer than 50 games and the Swans had nine.

So for those in the broader AFL community giving the Swans a free pass for their tactics by saying it was some sort of mismatch, that particular myth can also be busted.

Reactions: 2 users
Turns out I slightly exaggerated @tigerlove ; it was actually the grand sum of 19 possies according to the official stats!

Yep, that combined with the published heat maps gives you the real insight into just how negative the Swannies were.

I should also add that the Tigers had ten players who'd played fewer than 50 games and the Swans had nine.

So for those in the broader AFL community giving the Swans a free pass for their tactics by saying it was some sort of mismatch, that particular myth can also be busted.
And a couple of those 19 possessions in F50 came from 50 metre penalties.

I normally read game day during day and often post an optimistic prediction or if overly nervous a tight win prediction :)

I don't read as the game is played as prefer to watch it and not be distracted, I normally try to start reading again after game for opinions on overall game and ppls thoughts.

During the game people including myself are to emotional and living on edge so to read through that is a waste of time imo… As Dimma has said things aren't always as good as they seem and equally things aren't as bad they seem...

Reactions: 3 users
I normally read game day during day and often post an optimistic prediction or if overly nervous a tight win prediction :)

I don't read as the game is played as prefer to watch it and not be distracted, I normally try to start reading again after game for opinions on overall game and ppls thoughts.

During the game people including myself are to emotional and living on edge so to read through that is a waste of time imo… As Dimma has said things aren't always as good as they seem and equally things aren't as bad they seem...

Agree, I never read game day thread during the game but often look back post game. I think its fine its just passion and in the moment furore that we all feel. Take it for what it is and I don't think there should be any shame for irrational posts. I think that is one thing I love about this game, how irrational I get. I often turn into something I don't particularly like for those 2 and half to three hours. But maybe this is the release I need. Life is hard and it is sometimes good to suspend reality and delve into another part of yourself that may not be pretty on the exterior but internally lets out the primal being that deep down we all posses.

Reactions: 8 users

Yep we averaged 7 more games of experience per player. Not a huge difference.

Personally, I find the game day threads tend to lack the insight you usually get in footy discussions on here.

Some of us get caught up in the moment in a way that would never happen in a neutral match. Within reasonable boundaries, it's one of the great things about footy, like the old saying about a staid, sensible man walking through the racetrack gates and "off goes his head and on goes a pumpkin". For a couple of hours a week, I'm an uncompromising maniac and nothing is allowed to get in the way of a Richmond win!

We could all sit there and discuss the finer points of the game eruditely and rationally, but where's the fun in that?

Concede that non-stop hyper-criticism of our team can be a depressing read, but it's a lot better in that respect than it used to be.

Reactions: 1 users
You can't blame Longmire for flooding his backline. His goal is to win the game. Dimma should be more concerned that with extra numbers around the ball we weren't able to pick our way through and force their extra defenders out instead we just bombed blindly.

You can't blame Longmire for flooding his backline. His goal is to win the game. Dimma should be more concerned that with extra numbers around the ball we weren't able to pick our way through and force their extra defenders out instead we just bombed blindly.

Exactly, he did the right thing for his team and they could have pinched the game. We need to learn from this, and I'm talking to you Dimma!

Some of us get caught up in the moment in a way that would never happen in a neutral match. Within reasonable boundaries, it's one of the great things about footy, like the old saying about a staid, sensible man walking through the racetrack gates and "off goes his head and on goes a pumpkin". For a couple of hours a week, I'm an uncompromising maniac and nothing is allowed to get in the way of a Richmond win!

We could all sit there and discuss the finer points of the game eruditely and rationally, but where's the fun in that?

Concede that non-stop hyper-criticism of our team can be a depressing read, but it's a lot better in that respect than it used to be.

All true...

I miss the "Season over" type posts in game day threads, there were a few of those in 2017 and 2019 threads that I recall...

• Haha

Yeah, needs to handle it better than he did on Sunday. But as long as we come out of the blocks he can afford to roll with it.

People will soon associate Richmond with *smile* footy (some are already doing this) but it's the opposition who's calling the shots.

Someone needs to remind Longmire that they kicked a total 4 goals in their 2018 elimination final loss to GWS, and 5 goals in 2017 when they lost their semi final against he Cats.
Horse coaches a *smile* brand of footy.
In defence of longmire (and balanced footy)...
The match was crap and sydney didnt try and win it.
But the swans have changed gamestyle this year, with a lot of fast handball runs and corridor attacks. In the first half they broke through a number of times.
It could have been an entertaining match.
But after losing Kennedy and the rain they stopped and the defense only was set up.

If we assess the swans we see they have no key forwards (blakely at 19 is a flake and thinks he is a tall rioli), key backs of Rampe and Robbie Fox (soon to be delisted) are both shorter than Caddy.
The ruck is a 7 gamer who has Pattison's height and Gus' footy IQ.
They have 3 mids, and 1 went off injured.
In short they are a short *smile* team with holes across the park.
(We had a lot of outs but still had 2 key forwards, key backs and star mids. An older stronger team.)
Forget the talk about the games played. Their structure is blown away.

He coached so that it wasnt a blowout against the premiers and it was a rotten game.
But he coaches to win in the other games.