General Trade Discussion 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

General Trade Discussion 2022

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Why is Collingwood so keen to get rid of Brodie Grundy?

We know they are trying to trade him to Melbourne. Speculation suggests he has five years left on a contract for a cool $1mill per year at this stage. Melbourne can’t afford the whole contract so they will trade for him and Collingwood pays approx 300k of his wages for five years. Maybe it’s a bit less, maybe it’s a bit more but nonetheless!

Wow!

Then, they double down and bring in McStay on somewhere in the vicinity of $650/ $700k per year.

So they are basically paying the same wage, give or take, and have replaced Grundy, a genuine quality ruckman with McStay who is a solid third tall cum back up ruckman at best. He is competitive but hardly an overwhelming matchup who is going to keep the opposition coach awake the night before the game.

There are only two possible explanations for this move.

1. Grundy has career ending injuries and they are moving him on before anyone notices, a classic *smile* move.
2. They recently appointed Derek Zoolander to be their list manager.

it’s weird, really.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What's weird is that by getting a player another club is paying part of the contract for, your list is earning more than the salary cap. Sounds like a rort to me.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Yep. The Bulldogs have had an extra 300k in their cap for two years, courtesy of Treloar, and Melbourne will join them in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile Collingwood are in deficit. Doesn’t make a lot of sense from Collingwood’s viewpoint.

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
What's weird is that by getting a player another club is paying part of the contract for, your list is earning more than the salary cap. Sounds like a rort to me.

DS
It’s a really good point. Say Grundy went to the dogs - they’d have an additional $500k being paid by Collingwood.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
N
Why is Collingwood so keen to get rid of Brodie Grundy?

We know they are trying to trade him to Melbourne. Speculation suggests he has five years left on a contract for a cool $1mill per year at this stage. Melbourne can’t afford the whole contract so they will trade for him and Collingwood pays approx 300k of his wages for five years. Maybe it’s a bit less, maybe it’s a bit more but nonetheless!

Wow!

Then, they double down and bring in McStay on somewhere in the vicinity of $650/ $700k per year.

So they are basically paying the same wage, give or take, and have replaced Grundy, a genuine quality ruckman with McStay who is a solid third tall cum back up ruckman at best. He is competitive but hardly an overwhelming matchup who is going to keep the opposition coach awake the night before the game.

There are only two possible explanations for this move.

1. Grundy has career ending injuries and they are moving him on before anyone notices, a classic *smile* move.
2. They recently appointed Derek Zoolander to be their list manager.

it’s weird, really.
He will be 29 in the first month of the season next year. On a mil a year for the next 5 years. That’s why they are so keen to move him on.
Is there a career ending injury? Maybe but Melbourne would do there research.

McStay isn’t much younger, IMO he’s a mistake on the sort of money and contract he’s being offered too but Collingwood will do Collingwood. They’ll probably move McStay on in 2 years while paying part of his contract.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Ohh no Bucky reckons where making a big mistake, maybe not a bigger mistake then using top 10 picks on Dowler & ThropeScreenshot_20220927-075207_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
He rates Prestia as B grade
Guy has got no idea
It's just the normal Negative Richmond media.
Collingwood are getting rid of Grundy and possibly lose Henry & Degoey to bring in
Frampton
Mclovin on 600k
Hill
Mitchell
Florini

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Does he even analyse the list beyond the DOB?

And does he look at what we have done since we took Lynch. Nothing but go to the draft.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Reading HS story on GC shipping out Jack Bowes to any club that will take on his ridiculous salary which is closer to $1mil than $500k. Understand the GC kept pushing his salary out for TPP reasons but what club in their right mind would take him for that $$, when he isn’t getting regular games at GC? GC would have to be throwing in their first Rd draft pick as well but the $$ are completely stupid and will ruin a clubs TPP

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
WCE apparently out of the running for Luke Jackson now. Be interesting to see what they do with pick 2 (3) now.

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
There have been hints over the last year or 2 that this is the case.
Has Trengove vibes about it when we dodged the proverbial rocket propelled grenade thanks to a thorough medical (and perhaps an ounce of good fortune).

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

DS

Agree - I reckon the AFL have outsmarted themselves with all their new rules around future trading, loading crap points for gun father sons, trading out salary with players in salary dumps, etc

I know any system is fair game for rorting, but the system is so complicated now that we are getting these ludicrous trade options that are just not common sense trades - I reckon the trade/salary cap system is just about broken and needs a broom through it.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Reading HS story on GC shipping out Jack Bowes to any club that will take on his ridiculous salary which is closer to $1mil than $500k. Understand the GC kept pushing his salary out for TPP reasons but what club in their right mind would take him for that $$, when he isn’t getting regular games at GC? GC would have to be throwing in their first Rd draft pick as well but the $$ are completely stupid and will ruin a clubs TPP
Surely the Bummers will take him, so they can say to members they recruited someone.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Surely the Bummers will take him, so they can say to members they recruited someone.
Essendon? They will spend the whole trade period demanding that Gold Coast go out and find them an earlier pick. Then they will try to take Bowes to the Pre season draft.

Last edited: