Goodbye Mabior Chol | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goodbye Mabior Chol

Desire, intensity and determination need an upgrade.

He's got amazing skills for a bloke is size but he's got to be involved as much as possible.

Imagine transplanting Nank's mongrel and determination into Cholly. (whoops, maybe I'll try a rephrase that after the last media furor. Ahh stuff it, you know what I mean) :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Should be getting more heat around here. Was genuinely awful last night. Not sure injuries are to blame either as he certainly got to enough contests but opted out of participating in them for whatever reason. Appeared particularly wary of making contact of any kind with Witts.

Meekness in a big man is unacceptable.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah theres gotta be a rationale explanation for such an athletic bloke keeping his feet on the ground.

Only thing is I've seen him do it plenty of times before, leaps high for one centre bounce, then stands flat footed for next 2. If I was him I'd be trying to fly high every single time as he's not going to win in a body contest.

Reactions: 2 users
Dimma needs to give Mab's a good fingering to get the best out of him, in the chesrt of course!!

Seriously, Mabs is a little bit laconic which maybe comes across as lack of effort. He's laconic when he comes in to kick for goal, and it works perfectly.

One of the issues with Mabs is getting to the drop of the ball in marking competitons. I think he relies too much on coming over the top, and lets his run to the ball get upset too easily. The result, is a non competitive marking contest. I think our coaches should be trying to get him to arrive early and hold position. He's a big unit, and capable of marking or at least getting th ball to ground. He's also agile enough to be one of the first roving it, once it's on the ground.

There are things than need to be ironed out, but he can do things virtually no other tall can do. He's a slow burn, but so long as the trajectory is up, i think we need to keep persisting. If he becomes consistently effective when forward, he'd be a potent weapon because of his efficiency shooting at goal.

Reactions: 4 users
Desire, intensity and determination need an upgrade.

He's got amazing skills for a bloke is size but he's got to be involved as much as possible.

Imagine transplanting Nank's mongrel and determination into Cholly. (whoops, maybe I'll try a rephrase that after the last media furor. Ahh stuff it, you know what I mean) :cool:
Bit of Jack Dyer about that :mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Some of his efforts last night were totally non acceptable for an AFL footballer. There would be some vision on the tapes that would embarrass not only himself but the RFC. Watch the replay and tell me he deserves another game this week.
Need to make a statement as a club. I’m not happy to sit back in the glow of recent Premiership success. I hope the club isn’t either.
We should have won by 60 points last night. We are playing well below our ability. Need to maximise our window. It won’t be open forever.

Should be getting more heat around here. Was genuinely awful last night. Not sure injuries are to blame either as he certainly got to enough contests but opted out of participating in them for whatever reason. Appeared particularly wary of making contact of any kind with Witts.

Meekness in a big man is unacceptable.
I'm a big fan and have praised him effusively where it's been due lately, but agree fully with you here. It could be injury as he's been sporting that bandage around one shin/calf which he seemed to aggravate in the Poort game, looked quite sore at the time. To his credit, he played out that game though.
However, I simply cannot understand why he leaps sometimes but not others, when he has such a great, natural spring to use. It's a weapon; look at Nicnat.

But he seemed intimidated by Wittes' greater size in that match. Simply not good enough and he has to get out of this. I think a part of it maybe that he's actually a really likable guy. He needs to find that bit of mongrel, of warrior, that a big man must have for AFL. You cannot allow anyone to intimidate you.

He probably will in time but he still seems like a F/flanker in a ruckman's body for now.

A lot of criticism, especially on his ruck technique from the shortashes who never played there
* Timing is everything. If he lost his timing then rucking and marking in packs is a struggle
* not going for marks indicate timing issues and not clicking with his teammates (leaving it for jack or tom etc)
* Umps were very inconsistent with the bounce. Shouldve recalled half of them
*Witts is a superb ruckman in top form. He is probs the best form ruck today. He is very very good at stopping someone jumping over him
*Chol is and likely to remain a number 2 ruck, so will get beaten by number 1 rucks.

These are not excuses but an acceptance that the opposition can be good too.

Its not time to throw in the towel. Witts beat him but he learns and gets better.
He needs to compete - i.dont think he is not having a go.
He needs to find ways to nullify a better opponent and to help the team in other ways.
If uninjured play again

Reactions: 5 users
Tigerdell, you may be right about him losing his timing on the night. You are definitely right about the bounces, they were woeful. Umpires used to bounce balls on grounds in much worse condition, what is the problem?

Chol has had a few really good games, one bad outing does not justify dropping him. If it did we would have run out of players months ago.

DS

A lot of criticism, especially on his ruck technique from the shortashes who never played there
* Timing is everything. If he lost his timing then rucking and marking in packs is a struggle
* not going for marks indicate timing issues and not clicking with his teammates (leaving it for jack or tom etc)
* Umps were very inconsistent with the bounce. Shouldve recalled half of them
*Witts is a superb ruckman in top form. He is probs the best form ruck today. He is very very good at stopping someone jumping over him
*Chol is and likely to remain a number 2 ruck, so will get beaten by number 1 rucks.

These are not excuses but an acceptance that the opposition can be good too.

Its not time to throw in the towel. Witts beat him but he learns and gets better.
He needs to compete - i.dont think he is not having a go.
He needs to find ways to nullify a better opponent and to help the team in other ways.
If uninjured play again
Fair enough - good points. But the club has big Eevan Maric in his corner as ruck coach. I reckon he will be much improved in another year or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Chol still inexperienced. Just 18 AFL games. Agree he needs to be doing more. I want to hold onto him in the too side for a bit longer. The little things he can do is rare. That run down the flank against Port. The way he can get the ground ball when he seems beaten. Quick and mobile.

If he can learn to produce more of the freaky stuff on a regular basis we have an edge on the other teams especially in unison with our other x factor players like Bolton

Chol still inexperienced. Just 18 AFL games. Agree he needs to be doing more. I want to hold onto him in the too side for a bit longer. The little things he can do is rare. That run down the flank against Port. The way he can get the ground ball when he seems beaten. Quick and mobile.

If he can learn to produce more of the freaky stuff on a regular basis we have an edge on the other teams especially in unison with our other x factor players like Bolton
It might be time to focus on a third tall forward role and take him out of the ruck. Soldo ad Nank rotate off the bench. I'd still prefer to see CCJ though.

It might be time to focus on a third tall forward role and take him out of the ruck. Soldo ad Nank rotate off the bench. I'd still prefer to see CCJ though.
He is an interesting case. He got to this stage last year and due to poor performances lost his spot for the rest of the year. He would want to ensure he doesnt have a repeat performance

With Nank another week away, this Saturday night becomes vitally important for Chol. Would not want to put in a repeat performance of his effort the other night or it could be curtains for the season.

Would you play him back?

Astbury may not be back and we need another tall.

See ball get ball.

Just thoughts?

Problem with this is Chol has'nt got the intensity in his footy required to play as a Key Back.

Cant be zoning out when your are a defender.

He has the agility but when youre back in defence pretty much all of your footy requires urgency and multiple efforts.