Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
mb64 said:
Not sure if its been mentioned but if you want to read an article on HUN that is blocked,simply click on the link & under page press paste & then paste onto google.Once your in google push search & the link will come up enabling you to read the full article.

Great tip.

Gotta say though I've pretty well stopped reading the HUN online. Don't think the paywall does that paper (or football for that matter) any favours.

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
I wasn't a HUN reader, except for footy news, and as others have said you can bypass the paywall anyway. I suppose I used to look at a non-footy article very rarely. I certainly don't bother now, so they've lost my occasional 'click'.

The Age as it stands is a different matter. I go to overseas papers for international news, but I may be prepared to pay for Fairfax access to local news if the standard is up to scratch. Sacking all those journos makes you wonder what the already dubious quality is going to end-up as tho.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
I believe The Age should have moved to a tabloid 20 years ago or more.

Should have done it the moment The Herald and The Sun merged into one paper.

Instead, The age chose to continue in their 19th century format.

If The age can bring out a tabloid that sells at the same cost as The Herald Sun, just watch The Age's sales go through the roof.

Although. I would appreciate it if The Age added an easier crossword that didn't take as long to complete.

The easier crossword for first thing in the morning. The harder one for bed at night.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
TigerForce said:
What's happened to the Hun's website.....subscription package is gone??
I think you don't need to subscribe to get the current days news these days - only for old articles. I agree though, it looks as if it is a bit easier to read the articles (at least a few days ago that is)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
year of the tiger said:
agree - there was no way I was going to subscribe - could understand though if you didn't live in Victoria and couldn't easily access the paper

So have they taken off those yellow tags on certain articles forever or will they return later?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Literally unreadable now. No access to any articles unless you subscribe. Cheapest is $4 a week.

The Hun's gone bonkers.

Big Country

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 1, 2011
HUN is giving you access to some of their stuff but you can only access up to 10 articles per week before it blocks your access and tries to get you to $ubscribe.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
Big Country said:
HUN is giving you access to some of their stuff but you can only access up to 10 articles per week before it blocks your access and tries to get you to $ubscribe.

Surely there would be an easy way around that?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tigertool said:
Surely there would be an easy way around that?

Depends on what's doing the counting. reformatting your PC and changing the ethernet port should get around all their attempts to stop you reading 11 articles a week.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Care factor is not high with me.

Most of the articles I would want to read find their way onto here anyway.

I do wonder though if the site might get threatened with legal action if we try to repost articles on PRE.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Streak said:
Care factor is not high with me.

Most of the articles I would want to read find their way onto here anyway.

I do wonder though if the site might get threatened with legal action if we try to repost articles on PRE.

Very good point Streak - obviously if the content posted is only meant to be viewed by those who are 'paid-up' Herald Sun members.

Maybe we will only be able to paste a link to these articles (ie. only HUN members with suitable log-in can view), as issues will arise if these 'paid' articles are posted elsewhere.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
could ask why one paper needs 15 journalists full time covering the same sport. Each only gets a couple of by lines a week. Take up of pay wall subscribers will tell if we want to hear from those 15 or only some of them
No one is entitled to a KOB just because they are employed today.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
Bugger, I came here hoping someone had worked out an easy way around the upgraded paywall. Oh well, to The Age it is, although they keep telling me to read something that I think says you'll pay soon too.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Same goes for The Australian and the Financial review.

The Hun lost my $$ the day they brought in this pay to view deal.

There wont be any printed papers one day in the future it will all be internet i reckon.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
rokin.tiger said:
If you visit the "family" sites of news ltd you should be able to read all articles as long as they don't direct you back to HS.

That's what I do - and you can also copy the heading into google and often pick up the article in another paper online.

Asking $200 a year for a subscription is way over the top