Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Herald/Sun - Newspapers charging for online content

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I wouldn't mind paying for quality but the website and the content are rubbish, even for the HUN.

They will struggle to hold anyone beyond the free period.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Robbo has the right idea. Start copying fan forum threads into a story. People will pay to see their own thoughts validated by the media.

The HUN will just become more sensationalist to get people to pay.

rokin.tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 8, 2007
Punt Road
There is a way to get around this paid article tripe.
Copy the heading of the article you want to read (not the link the actual text) and paste into google search bar
Select the first link which should be a HUN link and wullah there is your article!

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
rokin.tiger said:
There is a way to get around this paid article tripe.
Copy the heading of the article you want to read (not the link the actual text) and paste into google search bar
Select the first link which should be a HUN link and wullah there is your article!

Not bad Rokin.

Worked for me.

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
I reckon that might work at the moment because the two month free trial period is still running.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
TIGEREXTRA said:
I have boycotted the hun since they started this charging crap!

Me too dont even but the rag now.

That said all papers will go this way Xtra the age and SMH will follow suit eventually.

The Australian, The FInancial review are also charging for reading online.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Noticed tonight that people wanting live updates on the Supercoach player scores off the Hun website will need to be subscribers.

That should do their competition the world of good.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Bump.

The Age to erect paywalls.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/fairfax-to-shed-1900-staff-erect-paywalls-20120618-20ix1.html

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Good luck to them and the Hun, but I think they are going about this the wrong way.

It will not force me to buy their publications, I will source my news elsewhere. Plenty of options, some of which I am pleasantly suprised are probably better.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Streak said:
Good luck to them and the Hun, but I think they are going about this the wrong way.

It will not force me to buy their publications, I will source my news elsewhere. Plenty of options, some of which I am pleasantly suprised are probably better.

No options in Melbourne, sans the ABC, from early next year. Everything pay-walled. They won't get everyone to pay, they don't need to, but they will get enough. Smart move by Fairfax. Saying that, they are as dead as fried chicken in the long run.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
It may be the wrong way, but it is the only way. Journalism doesn't pay for itself, and internet advertising clearly doesn't come close to covering it. The rivers of gold from classified advertising that funded journalism for so long are drying up.

Terrible to see so many jobs lost.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Streak said:

The ABC is going to enjoy the extra traffic.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure if its been mentioned but if you want to read an article on HUN that is blocked,simply click on the link & under page press paste & then paste onto google.Once your in google push search & the link will come up enabling you to read the full article.