If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund?

Do you want to have your membership refunded or donated to the club if coronavirus affects games?

• Refund me please

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Donate the money to benefit the club

Votes: 90 72.0%
  • Let's go 50-50?

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 8 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
I know this situation puts them in a perilous state, I was saying that until this, the League has been well-run from a business point-of-view. As I said a couple of weeks ago, the league knows it can borrow when it has to, underwritten by the state at low interest.

My gripe right now is people on this forum tasking shots at the AFL for doing things that would be considered good strategy by people who actually know how to run a business. Everyone's an expert in hindsight, but if most of the punters who are complaining on this forum were in charge, the AFL would still be in the dark ages, like the NRL.
Don’t think AFLX was a very good idea , and either is the current AFLW where there is zero cash revenue ( gate receipts) . Every AFLW game is run at a huge loss you will find , that the clubs have to pay for ‍. The issue of AFL major sponsors is a real concern as well . Virgin will more than likely go under , they have asked for federal governments help , but you may find that state governments won’t assist in favour of having another overseas airline being let loose into the Australian domestic skies

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
If Mcguire said " yes Tony we are prepared to return money paid on memberships"
The phones at westpac holden Lexus centre would be ringing non stop for a week.
Thats why he dodged answering the question.

i disagree. i reckon the vast majority would not ask for their money back. the only poeple that would are likely to be people that have lost their jobs. and this is also why clubs must offer a refund. its the right thing to do.

Reactions: 4 users

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
the problem is the clubs have already planned their spend on this membership revenue

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
i disagree. i reckon the vast majority would not ask for their money back. the only poeple that would are likely to be people that have lost their jobs. and this is also why clubs must offer a refund. its the right thing to do.

Then you don't know Collingwood suoporters.
The same supporter base that didn't renew when malthouse was given the ass, the same group that said if Buckley stayed they wouldn't renew.
They would have an avalanche of members asking for there money back if Mcguire just said the magic words.
"We are prepared to pay back the memberships for season 2020"

Why does such a big big club like Collingwood only have 82,000 members??, because most struggle at the cost and there disapproval of buckley to buy one.
It wouldn't take much for them to ask for there money back.

We would be the same boat if we didn't win the 2 flags.
People would've said no games, i want my money back.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Then you don't know Collingwood suoporters.
The same supporter base that didn't renew when malthouse was given the ass, the same group that said if Buckley stayed they wouldn't renew.

all clubs are like that. after our disastrous 2016 season, our membership numbers for 2017 started off well down on the previous year. it only went up after we started winning, then broke through the record late in the season when the club made the "sign up for 2018 and get 2017 for free as well as access to finals tickets" offer.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
all clubs are like that. after our disastrous 2016 season, our membership numbers for 2017 started off well down on the previous year. it only went up after we started winning, then broke through the record late in the season when the club made the "sign up for 2018 and get 2017 for free as well as access to finals tickets" offer.

We will disagree on this one.
If they are forced by the government or by law to make return to members.
I guarantee Collingwood supporters would be top of the pile

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I view this as another 1990 Save Our Skins moment, those that could gave, kids raided their piggy banks, the poor gave the shirts off their back and our Club survived and eventually prospered.
Anyone who lived it and was able to contribute at that time had immense pride, (when we held aloft the 2017 & 2019 premiership cups:cupgold), that they were there when we were down.
I am not going to leave it totally to Gill and the AFL to determine what sort of club Richmond emerges on the other side of this catastrophe.

My thoughts only, give if you can if not the club should listen and restitute.

Reactions: 8 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I view this as another 1990 Save Our Skins moment, those that could gave, kids raided their piggy banks, the poor gave the shirts off their back and our Club survived and eventually prospered.
Anyone who lived it and was able to contribute at that time had immense pride, (when we held aloft the 2017 & 2019 premiership cups:cupgold), that they were there when we were down.
I am not going to leave it totally to Gill and the AFL to determine what sort of club Richmond emerges on the other side of this catastrophe.

My thoughts only, give if you can if not the club should listen and restitute.
Totally agree, the AFL is fine because it has a great business model that consistently makes heaps of money, but the clubs on the other hand are not as fortunate. If the members ask for their money back (and of course that's their right) there's a point at which clubs may not go broke (the AFL covers it using their line of credit) but any reserves built up will turn into a large debt. In conclusion, I think what Ed said is dead right. If you're in a bad finiancial state, call the club. If you're really in desparate trouble they'll find a way to let yuou off the vhook but keep you as a member for a token amount, but otherwise, consider it a donation becasue it's going to get really ugly if the club loses 2020 member revenues.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Totally agree, the AFL is fine because it has a great business model that consistently makes heaps of money, but the clubs on the other hand are not as fortunate. If the members ask for their money back (and of course that's their right) there's a point at which clubs may not go broke (the AFL covers it using their line of credit) but any reserves built up will turn into a large debt. In conclusion, I think what Ed said is dead right. If you're in a bad finiancial state, call the club. If you're really in desparate trouble they'll find a way to let yuou off the vhook but keep you as a member for a token amount, but otherwise, consider it a donation becasue it's going to get really ugly if the club loses 2020 member revenues.

Don't disagree, but I wonder what the consensus would be if the past three years had been similar to 2014-16.

Reactions: 1 users

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Well the AFL has now said if members want their money back they can get it , I don’t think that is the right thing either, I would have thought a more equitable thing was to allow suspension of payments rather than total refund

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Well the AFL has now said if members want their money back they can get it , I don’t think that is the right thing either, I would have thought a more equitable thing was to allow suspension of payments rather than total refund

Get ready to hear clubs sook

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
With memberships like 3121 with waiting lists , I wonder if members ask for a refund if the club would then offer there 3121 memberships to ones on the waiting list

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Only difference is that this is a situation that is effecting all of society. There will be families out there who'll be raiding their kids piggy banks to put food on the table in the wake of massive job losses. With no season being played, the club should be providing options to those in hardship & they shouldn't have to go looking for it.

Last edited:

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Just want to say thanks to all the Tiger members out there who are able to let the club keep their membership money.

We’re lucky to have enough support to insulate the club through any crisis, just as we had the support 10 years ago to set us up for the multi-premiership era we’re in now.

Best members in the game!

Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Chopper Jones is not my favourite journo, but I really enjoyed him getting a rise out of McChins.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

I thought there was a working party aiming to come up with a one-size fits all policy? Gale was a part of that, as were Liddle and Gordon and three other club CEOs.

Last edited: