If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund?

Do you want to have your membership refunded or donated to the club if coronavirus affects games?

• Refund me please

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Donate the money to benefit the club

Votes: 90 72.0%
  • Let's go 50-50?

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 8 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Well the AFL has now said if members want their money back they can get it , I don’t think that is the right thing either, I would have thought a more equitable thing was to allow suspension of payments rather than total refund

Got a link? That's good news if so.
I'll be donating my membership but it definitely shouldn't be the expectation that everyone does.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Reactions: 1 user

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
With memberships like 3121 with waiting lists , I wonder if members ask for a refund if the club would then offer there 3121 memberships to ones on the waiting list
The answer is no I was told .
you keep your spot
There won’t be footy we can attend this year anyway

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Only difference is that this is a situation that is effecting all of society. There will be families out there who'll be raiding their kids piggy banks to put food on the table in the wake of massive job losses. With no season being played, the club should be providing options to those in hardship & they shouldn't have to go looking for it.

You've given your opinion about 20 times in this thread but by all means keep repeating it.
Selected editing of my post too, left out were I said give if you can but if you can't club should refund.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Thanks for that. Good to see the clubs/AFL change their tune on this after pressure was applied.
My argument has always been that the club should have made it easy for people to get a refund if needed.
It wasn't before today.

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Every Bank , Car leasing Company. Gym have suspended or deferred payments , but not the RFC
Very unlikely anyone will see a game this year
RFC collecting monthly payments to pay to keep staff employed I assume , as it’s the only revenue available . Amazing
The rfc is a club that you are a member of , that you stand alongside fellow members with pride and enjoy the privileges that loyalty brings. Can the same be said for car leasing , banks and gyms. Ridiculous analogy

Reactions: 4 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
there will be those doing it very tough ,

Those doing it a little bit tougher ,

Those where financially , it may not make too much difference in their day to day living ,

Not everybody is in the same boat and options should be available

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
The rfc is a club that you are a member of , that you stand alongside fellow members with pride and enjoy the privileges that loyalty brings. Can the same be said for car leasing , banks and gyms. Ridiculous analogy
What a ridiculous post .
Why ?
Season won’t go ahead . And they are still collecting money for reserved seats , give it a rest ! Give you a tip here . If you pay monthly , check the payment details . Says “RFC Docklands “ for a reason . As Ticketmaster which is located at Docklands collect the money and give RFC a small percentage. The operating system for direct debiting in the RFC memberships department is a Ticketmaster Terminal . Ring up and ask them !!!!!! Funds are then allocated to AFL/Club and venue provider . People are delusional if you think all the money goes to the club , it’s doesn’t !! .. I have suspended mine pending , as many I have spoken to have .
happy for anyone to keep paying, your money . Helps pay the bill for flying the AFLW team interstate for the season just gone ( $50k a game ) Cheers

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It's clearly an emotive issue.
The question of how much money goes to the club & how much goes to other parties is a valid one though especially when talking thousands of dollars.
Some may be happy to just turn a blind eye & just write the dough off but it's certainly not unreasonable to ask what percentage of 'donated' money (membership) is actually going to the club? Especially regarding add ons for reserved seats.
Some may see it then as a general donation to the football industry but that's not then club membership which is a different question altogether.
Some may see that as nit picking which is fine but I doubt many would donate their hard earned $s to just anything without knowing where the cash is going outside of the emotional connection of footy.
It's a very reasonable question to ask what percentage the club is actually receiving.

As a side note, all general admission Tickets for round 1 were refunded by Ticketek to those who purchased them through their portal once it was announced crowds couldn't attend. Club members are just just expected to foot the bill for their reserved seats though even though they couldn't sit in them. Seems disproportionate to me.

Another question for mine will be how many will be buying a membership next season if we're still dealing with this uncertainty come December?

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The state government in Victoria has said our peak won't be reached till September.
I hope the AFL has a plan for 2022.
This year won't go ahead and next year looks light years away..

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
With memberships like 3121 with waiting lists , I wonder if members ask for a refund if the club would then offer there 3121 memberships to ones on the waiting list

this poses an interesting question into what type of refund people are entitled to. we have only lost 1 home game so far. does this mean people are only entitled to a refund of 1/11th of their membership? and how much of your membership cost constitutes match day rights? for example, I have a Roaming Tiger membership and MRC. the MRC has no match day entitlement, so shouldn't that mean no refund entitlement for R1?

another example is that some members only have GA, while others have a reserved seat. yes, this is incorporated into the cost, but it’s just another layer on top of this. many people that are GA will have upgraded a reserved seat for R1 and would have received a refund for the upgrade from Ticketek. then you have 3 game members. they couldn't go to R1, but they may have the opportunity to go to 7-8 other home games if footy restarts.

Or are there some out there that want a full refund, which means they will lose any rights to attending games if we do restart in a few months… I think? And as you alluded to, will people that have 3121, MRC, etc... will they have to go to the back of the queue if/when they wanna re-join?

another question is that what if the Grand Final is played at Marvel due to the MCG not being available? Will there be enough seats for priority 1 members (ones who have a guaranteed GF seat)?

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
the clubs and the afl are not being proactive in offering refunds for memberships, worried about revenue leakage

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
this poses an interesting question into what type of refund people are entitled to. we have only lost 1 home game so far. does this mean people are only entitled to a refund of 1/11th of their membership? and how much of your membership cost constitutes match day rights? for example, I have a Roaming Tiger membership and MRC. the MRC has no match day entitlement, so shouldn't that mean no refund entitlement for R1?

another example is that some members only have GA, while others have a reserved seat. yes, this is incorporated into the cost, but it’s just another layer on top of this. many people that are GA will have upgraded a reserved seat for R1 and would have received a refund for the upgrade from Ticketek. then you have 3 game members. they couldn't go to R1, but they may have the opportunity to go to 7-8 other home games if footy restarts.

Or are there some out there that want a full refund, which means they will lose any rights to attending games if we do restart in a few months… I think? And as you alluded to, will people that have 3121, MRC, etc... will they have to go to the back of the queue if/when they wanna re-join?

another question is that what if the Grand Final is played at Marvel due to the MCG not being available? Will there be enough seats for priority 1 members (ones who have a guaranteed GF seat)?
IMHO Ian , I don’t believe 3121 etc members should drop back onto a waiting list if they decide to defer there membership for this unique season/ situation , however the business world thinks very differently to me, so I could see clubs in desperate times offering upgrades to members, I’d amagine there’s an easy $100k for the club if they offered the 3121 upgrade to the waiting list, in saying that I wouldn’t think Peggy, Benny an Co would even consider it, Koch & McGuire however ?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm happy for the club to keep our memberships, for us it makes little difference as we rarely get to see live matches. The one portion I would consider asking for a refund to is the the WatchAFL (basically Fox Footy for people living overseas) subscription that comes with an International membership. Happy for them to refund that portion and lose that service. Nothing to watch on there anyway.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
IMHO Ian , I don’t believe 3121 etc members should drop back onto a waiting list if they decide to defer there membership for this unique season/ situation , however the business world thinks very differently to me, so I could see clubs in desperate times offering upgrades to members, I’d amagine there’s an easy $100k for the club if they offered the 3121 upgrade to the waiting list, in saying that I wouldn’t think Peggy, Benny an Co would even consider it, Koch & McGuire however ?

well deferring is another story altogether. surely anyone that defers payment for 3 months, but makes up for it at a later date would not lose any entitlements?

Wellfullness

Tiger Cub
Oct 19, 2019
Refund absolutely. No one should be made to feel guilty for claiming what is rightfully theirs.
If anyone wants to give back that is entirely a matter for that person who should really be in the same headspace as any person willing and able to drop $40 to the Salvo’s before every game.