If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund?

Do you want to have your membership refunded or donated to the club if coronavirus affects games?

• Refund me please

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Donate the money to benefit the club

Votes: 90 72.0%
  • Let's go 50-50?

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 8 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Read a report that IF the season went ahead, and IF there was a grand final, that it would be at AFL owned (NAB now hold the deed) Marvel Stadium.

I guess thats why the 'best of 3' idea has been mooted.

imagine if it was a Richmond V Collingwood GF?

How many GF guarantees could be honoured? maybe all of them, 1 week out of 3?

imagine if you copped the week where Cox kicked 5 and the USA chant went up (because IF it was a best of 3, and IF it was at Docklands, and IF the AFL has it mortgaged for $600m, then I will be mortgaging MY house and putting the lot on the side that lost the first GF to win the second GF, forcing the series to a 3rd GF, and an extra $10m in ticket sales.)

AFL dont pay rent to MCC, but do pay a chunk off the mortgage.

The future of footy, my friends, aint looking very rosy at this point in time.

I didnt think I'd feel like this, but Id rather a normal-ish return to footy in 2021 and forget an entirely corrupted 2020.

The old GF guarantee's are a punt I take every year. I know the risks. Won easily and collected big time in 17 and 19. But my horse fell over dead at the 50m post this year :rotfl2

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm assuming this is a League wide decision. The clubs will be consisted in how they deal with memberships. (Benny and Cain Liddle are the AFL taskforce dealing with memberships).

With that in mind this solution is probably there more the clubs who can't afford not to keep their membership fees rather than the stronger clubs like us.

Still don't like it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Read a report that IF the season went ahead, and IF there was a grand final, that it would be at AFL owned (NAB now hold the deed) Marvel Stadium.

I guess thats why the 'best of 3' idea has been mooted.

imagine if it was a Richmond V Collingwood GF?

How many GF guarantees could be honoured? maybe all of them, 1 week out of 3?

imagine if you copped the week where Cox kicked 5 and the USA chant went up (because IF it was a best of 3, and IF it was at Docklands, and IF the AFL has it mortgaged for $600m, then I will be mortgaging MY house and putting the lot on the side that lost the first GF to win the second GF, forcing the series to a 3rd GF, and an extra $10m in ticket sales.)

AFL dont pay rent to MCC, but do pay a chunk off the mortgage.

The future of footy, my friends, aint looking very rosy at this point in time.

I didnt think I'd feel like this, but Id rather a normal-ish return to footy in 2021 and forget an entirely corrupted 2020.

The old GF guarantee's are a punt I take every year. I know the risks. Won easily and collected big time in 17 and 19. But my horse fell over dead at the 50m post this year :rotfl2

As far as I see it this mooted hybrid season is a carrot so the league can keep deducting CC payments from members.

This season needs to be cancelled ASAP & members looked after appropriately. It cannot be a one size fits all approach.

If Liddle & Gale have set this up on behalf of all clubs for the AFL, I'm sorry but it's not painting them in a very good light.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Interesting Western Bulldogs willing to work with all members about memberships

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Id want my money back if I was a dogs member.

actually if I was a member of any of the other 17 clubs, id be demanding a refund.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
The way I look at it is the money has gone from my account and into the Tigers account. If through no fault of their own they can't fulfil the fixtures the club could have a financial problem and I don't want to see our great club go back to the dark old days when we could have gone under. I wouldn't desperately need my membership fee back so would accept the club keeping the money and using it to help our club supported foundations and keep our club going

Reactions: 3 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
The way I look at it is the money has gone from my account and into the Tigers account. If through no fault of their own they can't fulfil the fixtures the club could have a financial problem and I don't want to see our great club go back to the dark old days when we could have gone under. I wouldn't desperately need my membership fee back so would accept the club keeping the money and using it to help our club supported foundations and keep our club going
Well said, my thoughts exactly

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There was also an email from Richard Goyder today, via the Richmond membership department. Full text on the Freo site:

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/582182/a-letter-from-the-afl-commission-chairman
I want to assure you the AFL Commission and Executive, led by myself and Gillon McLachlan, will protect our game at all levels. From the 18 AFL clubs, to the 14 AFLW teams, to State leagues and the community game, footy will be back when it is the right time to be back.

Probably wise not to put a line through anything at this stage, but those are big claims.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
There was also an email from Richard Goyder today, via the Richmond membership department. Full text on the Freo site:

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/582182/a-letter-from-the-afl-commission-chairman

Probably wise not to put a line through anything at this stage, but those are big claims.

The AFL just secured a loan of credit of $500m. Why should club members be footing the bill for their poor investments?
If cuts need to be made so be it.

No way known our club is going back to the dark ages on the back of the men's team winning 2 Premierships in the last 3 seasons.
If it is the whole league is going under.

Have said it before, the unprofitable AFLW league should be the first thing to go.

The million dollar question is why is the AFL broke? Think of the money they have spent in the last few seasons on absolute money pits.
It's crazy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user