If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If Season Cancelled - refund or no refund?

Do you want to have your membership refunded or donated to the club if coronavirus affects games?

• Refund me please

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Donate the money to benefit the club

Votes: 90 72.0%
  • Let's go 50-50?

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • Cheese sandwich

Votes: 8 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Well you tell me then where the reserve seat money for home games is going / gone
You won’t be attending the footy
Did you go to round 1 ? You still paid for your seat in membership package didn’t you
Guess what , those who took the option of purchasing away seats for Rounds 2 ,3 and 6 are getting a refund as confirmed by email . Why not the home games . ??
At a guess , monies raised through memberships/ reserve seat packages has been used to fund other programs such as the absorbent cost of AFLW etc
I ain’t Stingy at all. But if you honestly think that funding Aligned Leisure and AFLW programs is a great idea , good luck to you
You tell me why they are charging for a reserved seat in the packages ?
They are keeping the money
Away games refunded

Stig haven't you rung the club and been happy with what they have done for you with your membership for your particular circumstance?

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Stig haven't you rung the club and been happy with what they have done for you with your membership for your particular circumstance?
Yes I don’t have a problem
And the conversation was an interesting one to say the least
I feel sorry for many who are having there accounts debited but that’s there business . Club should have been on the front foot as Tigers Of Old stated previous that they should give every member the option and they haven’t .
I said that“ can you put on hold the memberships until this is sorted out “ , they reply not a problem what so ever
So why not offer this to all members ?
my local gym 24 hours before they closed sent an email out saying that seeing you cannot use the gym after tomorrow, we have suspended all direct debits/ memberships as of today . Easy
Problem I have is that the season won’t get off the ground and if it does , you won’t be able to attend anyway
Happy to pay 5 months to date x 4 3122 but not happy to pay the other 6 payments when we won’t be able to go
I think that’s fair and reasonable
Especially when Away Games are all being refunded by Ticketek and Ticketmaster

Reactions: 2 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Yes I don’t have a problem
And the conversation was an interesting one to say the least
I feel sorry for many who are having there accounts debited but that’s there business . Club should have been on the front foot as Tigers Of Old stated previous that they should give every member the option and they haven’t .
I said that“ can you put on hold the memberships until this is sorted out “ , they reply not a problem what so ever
So why not offer this to all members ?
my local gym 24 hours before they closed sent an email out saying that seeing you cannot use the gym after tomorrow, we have suspended all direct debits/ memberships as of today . Easy
Problem I have is that the season won’t get off the ground and if it does , you won’t be able to attend anyway
Happy to pay 5 months to date x 4 3122 but not happy to pay the other 6 payments when we won’t be able to go
I think that’s fair and reasonable
Especially when Away Games are all being refunded by Ticketek and Ticketmaster
If we stop paying deductions for 3121 membership this year are we still able to rollover into 3121 if and when the 2021 season goes ahead, or will we have to go back on to a waiting list for 3121 membership in the 2021 season?

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
If we stop paying deductions for 3121 membership this year are we still able to rollover into 3121 if and when the 2021 season goes ahead, or will we have to go back on to a waiting list for 3121 membership in the 2021 season?
Once things become clearer , they will give you the option to continue , or not

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
This is one of my biggest critcisms of the AFL. They don't own a lot of assets. they rely on various levels of government funding for infrastructure and now the chickens are coming home to roost. yes they have Marvel and thats a godsend for them (something the NRL doesn't have), but footy really should have been trying to own stadiums and training grounds for decades..

VFL Park?

Although they screwed that up when they chose a location beyond the end of the Earth, and far away from any heavy rail.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
VFL Park?

Although they screwed that up when they chose a location beyond the end of the Earth, and far away from any heavy rail.

DS
Interesting spat between Tony Jones and Eddie on channel 9 tonight
It actually got out of hand with Eddie refusing to answer a simple question and screaming back at Tony
This is a real hot topic

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
It actually got out of hand with Eddie refusing to answer a simple question and screaming back at Tony
This is a real hot topic
agree he blew up at TJ

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
This is a real hot topic

What was said?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
This is a real hot topic

I don't like Tony Jones but thought he asked a reasonable question, which McGuire refused to answer directly. On the other hand McGuire's trying to look after his club and doesn't want to open the floodgates. Apparently Collingwood has retained all staff at two days per week... maybe they can look at that if the hard-up want their membership money back. People have different levels of allegiance.

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Maybe it’s me, looked like they rehearsed it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Don't think it was rehearsed. It looked like Eddie has been under a fair bit of pressure and all the cub Presidents know the membership refund issue could bring down the AFL, well, at least some clubs.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Agree with Stiggy.
AFL is broke.
They're scrabbling to get games so they meet the deal with the TV stations and to put some money back into the till.
How can the AFL be broke??
Seriously, record crowds, record membership numbers, huge TV deals, huge major sponsors.
They have been pissuing money away for years and no-one has had the balls to check and ask where is ALL the money gone.
Im not sure why Gillian Is being praised,
I just want to know where the money has gone.

GWS
GC
And a few others !

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
This is a real hot topic

Sure is .
Saw it.
Wasn’t a good look for either but I gave points to Jones!

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Don't think it was rehearsed. It looked like Eddie has been under a fair bit of pressure and all the cub Presidents know the membership refund issue could bring down the AFL, well, at least some clubs.

Thought it was nothing more the a publicity stunt for Ed footyshow.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I might add future
I have no issue what so ever with a general membership. Club can keep that proportion
Have huge issue with the reserve seats component for the home games . Which gets forwarded onto MCC for game day etc
Someone tell me where the money has gone when those who have pre purchased away games are getting a refund
Not one person on here can tell me the answer to that . Everyone assumes “ oh it’s ok , club keeps the money , ah no
I await the answers

Huge lunches for the
I don't like Tony Jones but thought he asked a reasonable question, which McGuire refused to answer directly. On the other hand McGuire's trying to look after his club and doesn't want to open the floodgates. Apparently Collingwood has retained all staff at two days per week... maybe they can look at that if the hard-up want their membership money back. People have different levels of allegiance.

If Mcguire said " yes Tony we are prepared to return money paid on memberships"
The phones at westpac holden Lexus centre would be ringing non stop for a week.
Thats why he dodged answering the question.
Certain Collingwood memberships are in the $1000's,
Collingwood couldn't afford people complaining they want there money back.
It's *smile* when he said Collingwood would go bust.
17 other clubs would grumble before Collingwood.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
No matter who you are, where you are , you are going to get hit in the pocket except those who aint got anything in their pocket. Now if you bought 2020 AFL Club memberships you have the AUD's in your pocket. You invested those AUD's as you considered it was a benefit but now it ain't. Do you write it off or recoup the AUD's ,as what you purchased is not being delivered. My opinion your 2020 AFL Membership is the same as having a wager on a nag at Flemington or buying script on the Stock Market which do not return you a dividend. No one seen the writing on the wall but it is on the wall so count your losses with dignity , like I am

Reactions: 1 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Hate to tell you this
League is broke
Common knowledge that they have been looking for a line of credit for the past 4-6 weeks
Major sponsors will be pulling out
There will be no VFL or AFLW programs in 2021 irrelevant what the clubs spin
As they cannot afford it , there ain’t no money
Banks supplying the lifeline will ensure that funding will be spent in correct areas to survive
Like when you have a housing loan with progress payments
It’s that bad .
Reason they are trying to get the season going and play is there obligation under contract for TV deal in place
Forget about players health and staff help
Why play
I know this situation puts them in a perilous state, I was saying that until this, the League has been well-run from a business point-of-view. As I said a couple of weeks ago, the league knows it can borrow when it has to, underwritten by the state at low interest.

My gripe right now is people on this forum tasking shots at the AFL for doing things that would be considered good strategy by people who actually know how to run a business. Everyone's an expert in hindsight, but if most of the punters who are complaining on this forum were in charge, the AFL would still be in the dark ages, like the NRL.