Indigenous Voice Yes or No? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Voice Yes or No?

How will you vote in referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 88 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Probably no

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Dont know

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Received this Email from a an old Navy acquaintance last week but after Baloo's racist slur I have decided to post it & maybe he would like to comment on it. Five page attachments .

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_0001.pdf
    445 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230205_0002.pdf
    764.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230205_0003.pdf
    745.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230205_0004.pdf
    791.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230205_0005.pdf
    525.3 KB · Views: 2

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Baloo this one is from a relly in Port Bundaberg.

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_0006.pdf
    269.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230205_0007.pdf
    120 KB · Views: 7

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
First, any policy tweak, let alone major policy reform, on any issue, the government uses expensive advisors. Some are useless and overpaid party hacks, some bargain priced and brilliant with minds like steel traps, that is the nature of government. Why would a major policy reform in Indigenous affairs be any different?

Second, even if it has a marginal improvement in outcomes, the economic benefits will outweigh the cost of business as usual.
Think we’re talking about slightly different things, TS. I agree that a Govt should take advice before major policy tweaks. As you say, that will likely be expensive; and it may or may not be any good.

But that’s one-off before enacting the policy change, and Govt is already staffed with experts in these areas. I foresee that the Voice will require Voice members (and the sub-Voice, local community panels that will inform the Voice members) will continually be taking advice.

Expanding on an example I mentioned above, say the Govt wants to change tax legislation. That will affect Aboriginal and TSI people, as it affects everyone. Who understands tax legislation? The community panels will need (expensive) advisors so they can inform communities and canvas community views in an informed way. Ditto for the Voice members, so they can assimilate the community views and provide informed advice to Parliament. Multiply this for almost every piece of legislation affecting A and TSI. This cost will surely fall on the taxpayer (and the process will delay legislation).

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Take your time.

Did you ask your mates what they thought of your hobtailed boots intervention idea?

Put it this way,

If there was a referendum asking

'Should Richmond Football Club have a Voice to the AFL commission'?

Sure there would be 10% richmond members vote no.

'It wont change anything' 'we want action, not words' 'we want 2 seats' 'AFL corrupt *smile* *smile* them'

And 90% would see it as a no brainer and vote

yes
I again spoke to my mate and his wife ,and they both would vote no .
The reasons why they would vote no ,is one there is already indigenous people in local/state/ territory /federal Government, and some of these people have spoken out about the real problems in Aboriginal communities ,yet nothing gets done .
No government leader is prepared to take a hard line approach in solving a lot of these problems ,and these problems are not new ,they have been going on for decades

The voice may or may not have a future ,it may go along way to solve smaller issues ,but again unless heads of Government are prepared to take hard line approach ,the serious issues will continue .

If the same thing's where happening to white children and women there would be a outcry ,there would thousands of people looking for justice ,and yet here we sit with another gutless government with another band aid solution .

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
They wont.

Culture War is raging.

ABC werent allowed a camera in Pells funeral - they had to use Skys footage,

Who put an ethereal glow filter around Howard, Abbott and Dutton.

The vast majority of the 20 odd % who will vote No,

Get their opinion from Murdoch,

And will think watching the ABC is akin to enjoying a Savignon Blanc tasting flight with Leon Trotsky.

Fortunately, though, this will be a resounding victory for Culture.
Why is it a culture war ,and why do you think this is political .
Questions have to be asked and answered as to why this VOICE is going to work ,or is it another band aid .

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Why is it a culture war ,and why do you think this is political .
Questions have to be asked and answered as to why this VOICE is going to work ,or is it another band aid .

Im not gonna keep repeating myself.

Exercise your democratic right and vote No.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Nothing gets done about indigenous issues, and the suggestion above is to leave decision making in existing hands and ensure there is no indigenous influence on the current decision makers.

Makes no sense to me.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
What the actual *smile*? Probably the worst post I've read on PRE. *smile* racist *smile*.

What the actual *smile*? Probably the worst post I've read on PRE. *smile* racist *smile*.

LoL Racist .
Called a lot during my time but Racist takes the cake. Water off a ducks back just like insults during the Vietnam War.
Just to endorse my service during Vietnam . Christmas Day HMAS Yarra Petty Officers mess 1970 during 1970/ 1971 South East Asia deployment. Left to right Scrambles, Saunders, Noddy , Spike then yours truly.

Attachments

• img_Yarra3 1970 PO mess Christmas Diner_a.jpg
    img_Yarra3 1970 PO mess Christmas Diner_a.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 17

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Nothing gets done about indigenous issues, and the suggestion above is to leave decision making in existing hands and ensure there is no indigenous influence on the current decision makers.

Makes no sense to me.

DS
There is already indigenous people in all forms of Government ,a few speak out about the serious issues that are going on ,but nothing gets done.
So how do you think having the Voice will change it ,when we already have indigenous people in Government.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
The game of politics is to outwit your opponent > Albo called the The Voice & is sweating on Dutton to show his hand. If Dutton says Yes Albo grinning like a Cheshire cat. Dutton says No Albo still grinning like a Cheshire Cat as he can attack Dutton for deserting the Aborigine people. Dutton should say " we support a Conscious Vote for Australian People & if it is a Yes result we will support the Will of the Australain people " Might wipe the smile off Albo's dial.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Jeepers, reading this thread and some of the media narrative, if the referndum from 1967 was undertaken now then I suspect it would be a No outcome.

Reactions: 4 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

Makes no sense to me.

DS
Fair call here. Would love to see more health and education funding to be done immediately. Would also love to see more talented young people get scholarships so that can go to universities and lead their communities to a better way. Need to find those who want to raise the standards.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Probably doing the Greens a favour in the long run.

I believe that when a senator leaves a party that party should have the right to replace them.
A lot of greens voters would feel like their senate vote was partially wasted

Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I believe that when a senator leaves a party that party should have the right to replace them.
A lot of greens voters would feel like their senate vote was partially wasted

For a senator absolutely (not for the lower house though), she's now a senator until 2028 off the back of the Greens campaign.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Probably doing the Greens a favour in the long run.

She has enormous anger. However justified that anger may be no change will occur through anger and confrontation.
Significant change for our indigenous citizens can only come with the support of the centre, the everyday Australian. That is no different to any major change in this country.
Lidia Thorpe does more harm than good to the indigenous rights with what she says and how she says it. Insisting that there is a treaty before a Voice will just result in no change.
It is hard enough to get a voice agreed to and that is just a consultative body.

Reactions: 5 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
She has enormous anger. However justified that anger may be no change will occur through anger and confrontation.
Significant change for our indigenous citizens can only come with the support of the centre, the everyday Australian. That is no different to any major change in this country.
Lidia Thorpe does more harm than good to the indigenous rights with what she says and how she says it. Insisting that there is a treaty before a Voice will just result in no change.
It is hard enough to get a voice agreed to and that is just a consultative body.

Yep, and she's quit the Greens to be a leader in the black sovereignty movement. Is that similar to the so called sovereign citizens, just coming at it from a different angle?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

This is true, but Lidia Thorpe's radicalism also makes the Voice look like a moderate proposal, which it is, but this makes it obvious.

There is already indigenous people in all forms of Government ,a few speak out about the serious issues that are going on ,but nothing gets done.
So how do you think having the Voice will change it ,when we already have indigenous people in Government.

Worth a try. On the other hand we could all do nothing and . . . nothing will change.

Plus, the Uluru gathering said they want a Voice, I respect their request and will support it.

It should always be remembered that this should be a first step, more to come later.

DS

Reactions: 1 users