Is Richmond OK? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Richmond OK?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Sure, we'll need to scale back but so will the other clubs. But we're in a better position than most so our future isn't in doubt.

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Reckon the AFL will extend next season by a few games in order to make up for lost revenue and help pay off the massive loan

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Reckon the AFL will extend next season by a few games in order to make up for lost revenue and help pay off the massive loan

The way they're carrying on
We need to play Collingwood for 22 straight weeks for the AFL to get out of this shiit.
How the fick haven't they got any money??

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This Cv shiitt won't end in time for a season.
But the desperation from the AFL, they will try to make a season from 6 weeks.
These clowns have enough space in between there ears to park a 777.

Reactions: 2 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
What unlike the normal bloke on 50k a year suddenly on the dole? Cry me a river , whilst we are on this parliament was stood down on full pay, if we are all in this together as that moron leading us keeps saying , why weren’t they lining up at Centrelink? All the pollies and their STAFF are on a six month paid holiday as of now
You need to remember that the politicians make their own rules so they will never lose out. The motely crew we have in UK are probably the most devious of all politicians who mantra is ' don't do as I do, do as I say'

Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Not silliest thing I’ve heard , wildcard pre finals may be another money grabber, will also favour us getting some choice MCG fixtures too and plenty of em as the afl milk us to swell the coffers

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not silliest thing I’ve heard , wildcard pre finals may be another money grabber, will also favour us getting some choice MCG fixtures too and plenty of em as the afl milk us to swell the coffers

They will get us to play more games at the G, to get the revenue coming back in.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
We are i heard only one of 4 clubs in a decent strong position.

Is this correct?

Tigers
Pies
Hwaks
West Coast

(Essendon in that list too ? )

The rest are in some shape or form going to be helped by the above big 4 (5) and in serious trouble ?
The AFL will want complete control of those clubs and will have to pay back loans borrowed to them?

Im glad the club will try and not bend to everyone the AFL wants and remain solvent without handouts,

All us supporters, members should feel proud of where we were , come from and are now.

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Add GWS and GC to the list.
AFL will continue to prop up their two clubs.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
All I can say to this is: If we're not ok then the AFL can pack up the card table & lock the door on the way out.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Balmey, ever the politician...

Richmond football boss Neil Balme cautions AFL over job cuts
Mark Stevens
April 7, 2020
7news.com.au

Richmond football boss Neil Balme has called for caution as massive cuts loom across the AFL.

The league is expected to cut millions from the soft cap in the wake of the league’s financial crisis.

With some part-time development coaches already out at clubs around the competition, assistant coaches and other football staff could be out of a job.

But while he acknowledges the financial headache, Balme says the AFL is walking a fine line enforcing cuts to football operations.

“Reducing the spend in footy seems to be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that all of a sudden we’ve got a different financial position,” he told 7NEWS.

“I think we understand that but we’ve got to be really careful of making those decisions.”

The increasing number of staff members on benches and sitting alongside coaches has turned heads over the years.

Balme, however, believes that sight is proof clubs are frugal more than wasteful.

“The product we provide for the people that go and watch our blokes play is a very good product,” he said.

“I’ve been in footy for a long time and footy clubs, they don’t waste any money at all.”

“When we see the end of the grand final, we see how well the Richmond boys played, do you reckon anyone was saying then ‘I think they’ve got too many coaches’? I don’t think.

Richmond, premiers in two of the last three years, are one of a handful of clubs that won’t require immediate assistance from the AFL.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett told 7NEWS his club is determined to remain independent - partly to strengthen their case when the Hawks want to hold the AFL to account.

But while the Tigers will also go it alone, Balme heaped praise on the work chief executive Gillon McLachlan and the AFL have done to save the 18 clubs.

“The really positive thing for all of us who love footy is that the AFL are working their butts off to put ourselves in a position where the sooner the better we can get back to playing,” Balme said.

“It’s a real challenge, and I couldn’t be prouder of the way they’re doing it.”

Reactions: 2 users

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Balmey, ever the politician...

Richmond football boss Neil Balme cautions AFL over job cuts
Mark Stevens
April 7, 2020
7news.com.au

Richmond football boss Neil Balme has called for caution as massive cuts loom across the AFL.

The league is expected to cut millions from the soft cap in the wake of the league’s financial crisis.

With some part-time development coaches already out at clubs around the competition, assistant coaches and other football staff could be out of a job.

But while he acknowledges the financial headache, Balme says the AFL is walking a fine line enforcing cuts to football operations.

“Reducing the spend in footy seems to be a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that all of a sudden we’ve got a different financial position,” he told 7NEWS.

“I think we understand that but we’ve got to be really careful of making those decisions.”

The increasing number of staff members on benches and sitting alongside coaches has turned heads over the years.

Balme, however, believes that sight is proof clubs are frugal more than wasteful.

“The product we provide for the people that go and watch our blokes play is a very good product,” he said.

“I’ve been in footy for a long time and footy clubs, they don’t waste any money at all.”

“When we see the end of the grand final, we see how well the Richmond boys played, do you reckon anyone was saying then ‘I think they’ve got too many coaches’? I don’t think.

Richmond, premiers in two of the last three years, are one of a handful of clubs that won’t require immediate assistance from the AFL.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett told 7NEWS his club is determined to remain independent - partly to strengthen their case when the Hawks want to hold the AFL to account.

But while the Tigers will also go it alone, Balme heaped praise on the work chief executive Gillon McLachlan and the AFL have done to save the 18 clubs.

“The really positive thing for all of us who love footy is that the AFL are working their butts off to put ourselves in a position where the sooner the better we can get back to playing,” Balme said.

“It’s a real challenge, and I couldn’t be prouder of the way they’re doing it.”
Classic Balmey. Shrewd operator :clap1

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
If Richmond is in trouble then every club in the league is in trouble or at least every club in Melbourne.
YEP TIGERS TURNOVED 91 MILLION LAST YEAR SOME 16 MILLION AHEAD OF SECOND,WE CAN LOOSE SUBSTANTIAL TURNOVER AND STILL BE IN A BEST 3 POSITION AGAINST EVERYONE ,WORST CASE SENARIO.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Tigers should throw the AFL a lowball cash offer for Docklands

and then bulldoze the *smile* joint and build affordable housing

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Crikey if they lowerthe soft cap , we ll end up with greater cash reserves than the afl , no wonder we didn’t want their noses in our books