Is Richmond OK? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Richmond OK?

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
EDIT: Just to add Andrew Cuorno might be doing a great job in his media performances to make people feel safe but he needs to work hard at it. NY state as of last night had recorded 21,689 cases and 157 deaths. That's for a population around a third of Australia.
Andrew Cuomo is the Governor of New York State, population of approx 20 Mill. So actually close to Aus.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Pleasing to see that the flogs in suits at HQ are happy to offer up a 20% pay cut while demanding the players take 80%.

Obviously don't have any of the salubrious intricate details of each individuals input, but surely Gilligan n his mates should be copping the same hair cut as everyone else.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Pleasing to see that the flogs in suits at HQ are happy to offer up a 20% pay cut while demanding the players take 80%.

Obviously don't have any of the salubrious intricate details of each individuals input, but surely Gilligan n his mates should be copping the same hair cut as everyone else.

Maybe they are taking a bigger cut. The 20% previously mentioned was the same as offered to players when the season was going ahead. Regardless any executive pay cut would be symbolic only, the $10mill or so they are paid is a blimp on the total payments across the whole industry. Bottom line is it is up to the players now to make the right decisions as this will affect their future years and being greedy now may be detrimental to their long-term future.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Don't agree with the players asking to see the books. That's just wrong. But I do think the AFL exec who are paid in high 6 or 7 figure sums should also bring themselves down a bit more. Leaders lead.

I guess the sticking point here is that the clubs can't sack/delist players as it will mean when the season resumes they'd need to re-recruit everyone. Not something we would want to see happen.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I guess the sticking point here is that the clubs can't sack/delist players as it will mean when the season resumes they'd need to re-recruit everyone. Not something we would want to see happen.

Don't think players need to be sacked, they just need to understand that for the integrity of the competition going forward they need to take a significant pay cut which is what they're doing.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
They can't be sacked unless they fail to meet the terms of their contracts so sacking them requires a negotiated payout.

The players have the option to hold the AFL to the terms of their contracts in which case the AFL runs out of money and becomes insolvent.

Normally I'd agree but in these circumstances they could conceivably use the default stand down rule of the Fair Work Act (unless there is a specific stand down rule in the contract). Obviously they'd be very foolish to enact this but terminating would potentially be an option.

The Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) right to stand down arises when an employee cannot usefully be employed during a period of time because of one or more of the following circumstances:

a stoppage of work for any cause for which the employer cannot reasonably be held responsible (for example a flash flood which prevents employees from entering their work premises). An employer can only exercise a Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) right to stand down an employee if they cannot be usefully employed. If an employer could obtain some benefit or value from work performed by an employee then the employer will not be able to stand down that employee.

https://artio.org.au/an-employers-right-to-stand-down-employees-overview/

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Andrew Cuomo is the Governor of New York State, population of approx 20 Mill. So actually close to Aus.

Yes I mixed up state with city. City itself has almost 20000 cases and 100 deaths so my point remains. I don't equate having confidence in someone because of the way they speak to actions. For me confidence is borne by your results.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida

I think you're missing some of the detail here. 1. The players are offering a 50% reduction until May 31. The Exec's are offering a 20% cut in Annual salary. I suspect several will actually go altogether. Until we get back, the executive is working 16 hour days while the players work on their FIFA20 skills.

I suspect EVERYONE is underestimating this. The players will have to at least halve their annual contracts or the league goes broke. The players are paid by the league, so good luck fighting other creditors for the crumbs. There WILL end up being a rational compromise. Has to be.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Hasn't Gill agreed to take a pay cut equivalent to what players eventually do?
Plus Gill would be working 18 hour days 24/7, doing a good job in impossible circumstances for mine.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The difference for the players is that they will only earn that money while playing football, which means early 30s for most of them. They have a short period of time to earn the big bucks while the execs can work until they are in their 60s.

It isn't a simple issue. The players will have to take a cut but how much and for how long? I don't know.

DS

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Let's see if another Super League scenario comes up with a deal that the stronger clubs can't refuse. Tigers, Woods, Eagles, Swans, Crows, Blues, Hawks, Dons and four more regional clubs like Lions and maybe GWS, Cats and Tassie.
Where’s the money gonna come from? TV rights, not likely, they will drop because advertising rates will drop, business closures will reduce sponsorships or kill them totally , us ? Well whilst they are still drawing money from us month to month, it will sustain something , but with people losing jobs, what wins? Food on the table or footy club membership?

we will lose clubs, Eagles will remain we will remain freo will be bailed out by WC money the scum will remain , druggies will remain and Shemons will remain only because of the name, scats are still heavily in debt, the AFL isn’t going to get billions again , I’m not sure about a suburban comp but I can see a 10 team comp 2 in wa , 1 in SA, 1 in NSW, 1 in Brissy, 6 in Victoria.

the clubs won’t be able to find white knights to bail them out like skate, pellerman, Edelsten etc,

rocky waters ahead

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Pretty sure Scott has already had twenty years of very good to seriously good pay n could probably fudge a couple of months or season without pay. Aside from the premium players, there'd be a fairly large group on moderate salaries with match payments and only been three or four years in the comp. Copping a 50% hit to the pay packet at this stage of career would be fairly devastating.
What unlike the normal bloke on 50k a year suddenly on the dole? Cry me a river , whilst we are on this parliament was stood down on full pay, if we are all in this together as that moron leading us keeps saying , why weren’t they lining up at Centrelink? All the pollies and their STAFF are on a six month paid holiday as of now

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
As Jack said on 360 the other night, it's like everything good we've built over the past 6 years off field to get us to this incredible point is being dismantled.

Richmond may well be ok & we may survive but we certainly won't be the same after this.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
As Jack said on 360 the other night, it's like everything good we've built over the past 6 years off field to get us to this incredible point is being dismantled.

Richmond may well be ok & we may survive but we certainly won't be the same after this.

100% it has.
I cannot rememeber this happening to any other club in the last 50 years.
New rules.
Game changes.
Game shorten.
Constant bagging of us playing on a ground we have played on since jesus was walking the planet.
And now they want to cut down on the coaches and shorten the team lists.
If we snag one more with all these distractions 100% we will be regarded as GREAT team.
Surpassing Hawthorn and the little minnow Cats.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

This is a exactly what frustrates me most about this whole situation. Richmond pulled off the near impossible and elevated itself from a mediocre club to one that is a leader in virtually all aspects of the AFL. Now, through no fault of our own, we are likely to lose our advantage and watch it get redistributed to another club who simply gets “lucky” under any new arrangements.

Reactions: 1 users