Is Richmond OK? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Richmond OK?

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Had to be the case didn't it. We finally get our act together. Start winning premierships. Have a great bunch of core players and possibly the best we've seen in a RFC jumper running around and then we get this. The problem is not how does footy resume from this. It is how do the cultures of the football clubs return from this. Mark my words. There will be a lot of people come out the other side of this lockdown/pandemic with some serious mental issues. Not sure enough emphasis has been put on the mental impact this is creating as opposed to the virus itself.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Talking to someone from clubland today and they suggested we might all be on the wrong track here.

Most of the conversation is about if footy resumes this season and how next season will look. He suggested it should be will next season resume and how will 2022 look. :oops:

It would be tough to complete the season this year so I agree with that part, but if it resumes next year then they'll start it as a new season with a lot of different rules and what not.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I've made repeated statements of what the country should have done, but Dumb and Dumber have taken us down a very different and dangerous path. Scomo only said a week ago that the measures they were bringing in would keep job losses in the 10's of thousands. I wonder how many lost their jobs today, seeing the size of the queues for Centrelink its already large and I would expect that this is only the start. The tens of thousands will be proven to be a pipedream with the type of stimulus that they brought in.

Seems every *smile* and Harry has their answer to an unbelievably complex scenario. Personally I think all the government bashing is counter-productive. It doesn't matter what the government does, it won't be enough, because it cannot be enough. We are going to suffer as a nation as every nation in the world is. We need to bunker down for the next 6 to 12 months, accept what we've been dealt with and make it to the other side. Most important right now is our health and we are the masters of our own destiny in that regard. Be diligent and minimise the chances of acquiring the virus. That's it.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seems every *smile* and Harry has their answer to an unbelievably complex scenario. Personally I think all the government bashing is counter-productive. It doesn't matter what the government does, it won't be enough, because it cannot be enough.

What people need in these times is a leader that inspires confidence. That can lead. They don't have to get everything right but they need to make people feel that they are in control and can be relied upon to make the best choices, especially the hard ones. Like at Andrew Cuomo in NY. Many are questioning whether the measures he's taking are the right ones, but even his critics are impressed with the way he's managing the situation and keeping NYers feeling safer.

In Australia we have a PM who tells the whole country he's going to the Rugby because it might be his last chance to watch. That Aussies will be fine if they act like Aussies.

A week later he's lambasting people who go to the beach. He's sending mixed messages, can't explain the governments decisions, throws a tantrum when being asked questions he doesn't like.

That's not leading. That's not inspiring people.

If there is a need for a full lock-down that requires everyone's buy-in and participation to work, who do you think is going to get more buy in from the population, Morrison or Arden?

I never thought I'd say it, ever, but I reckon Abbott would have been better right now than Morrison. At least with Abbott you believe he believes what he's saying and has conviction. With Morrison you get none of that.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
What people need in these times is a leader that inspires confidence. That can lead. They don't have to get everything right but they need to make people feel that they are in control and can be relied upon to make the best choices, especially the hard ones. Like at Andrew Cuomo in NY. Many are questioning whether the measures he's taking are the right ones, but even his critics are impressed with the way he's managing the situation and keeping NYers feeling safer.

In Australia we have a PM who tells the whole country he's going to the Rugby because it might be his last chance to watch. That Aussies will be fine if they act like Aussies.

A week later he's lambasting people who go to the beach. He's sending mixed messages, can't explain the governments decisions, throws a tantrum when being asked questions he doesn't like.

If there is a need for a full lock-down that requires everyone's buy-in and participation to work, who do you think is going to get more buy in from the population, Morrison or Arden?

I never thought I'd say it, ever, but I reckon Abbott would have been better right now than Morrison. At least with Abbott you believe he believes what he's saying and has conviction. With Morrison you get none of that.

So really you're using America as an example of doing the right thing? The country that is going to come out of this pandemic the worst? Give me Australia to see out this pandemic any day over New York. This sums up my point, we have unprecedented circumstances. Everyone is going to have their opinion on what's right and what's wrong. But the message is now very clear. We need to look within ourselves to do the right thing. Isolate, limit contact, many are going to get it, make sure it spreads slowly to ensure the hospitals don't get overloaded. We're all going to suffer financially, and lifestyle-wise, some much more than others. We have to live with it. Whining about what we should have done (which is just an opinion, likely without the background expert advice) does nothing. And remember federal government doesn't have full jurisdiction over the states thus there's always going to be conflict in decisions made.

EDIT: Just to add Andrew Cuorno might be doing a great job in his media performances to make people feel safe but he needs to work hard at it. NY state as of last night had recorded 21,689 cases and 157 deaths. That's for a population around a third of Australia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm getting the impression there is no chance of footy this year and a good chance there will be none the following year either. I think the reason the AFL is going so much harder than most of us anticipated is they are working towards losing two seasons.
Why is 2021 lost?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
No idea but I'm assuming because they are thinking it could be 18-24 months before normal operations resume.

Hard to understand why. Even the Spanish flu of 1918 pretty much disappeared within a year. I guess it all depends on when a vaccine becomes available.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
It will be a reality check for many within the industry. Rampant salaries, especially for ex footballers in admin and coaching roles, have been over the top expensive and were due for a haircut anyway. 300+k for a third fourth and fifth string coach is ridiculous when compared to salaries outside football. The clubs have been in a cocoon of high rolling and spending due to the popularity of the game, but look what happens when the rainy day arrives.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It will be a reality check for many within the industry. Rampant salaries, especially for ex footballers in admin and coaching roles, have been over the top expensive and were due for a haircut anyway. 300+k for a third fourth and fifth string coach is ridiculous when compared to salaries outside football. The clubs have been in a cocoon of high rolling and spending due to the popularity of the game, but look what happens when the rainy day arrives.

Looks like the players are getting a reality check. Chris Scott (whilst I don't like him) deserves a lot of praise for waiving his salary. For the players to offer 50% but only for 2 months whilst many other people in their industry are being stood down without pay is frankly a massive slap in the face for everyone else in the industry. The players fought hard to have their salary as a % of income, they now need to take their whack when that income reduces. They look incredibly greedy out of all of this.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Agree with every word but the Abbott component, great post.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
We will survive but things will look different on the other side. But no club is better placed, this is why we wanted Peggy & Benny running the show. Strong leadership creates strong futures.

And remember the players 50% cut is for two months at this stage, its closer to 8%.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
AFL wanted 79% pay cut from players. I don't know if it's tiered but that's ridiculous.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Looks like the players are getting a reality check. Chris Scott (whilst I don't like him) deserves a lot of praise for waiving his salary. For the players to offer 50% but only for 2 months whilst many other people in their industry are being stood down without pay is frankly a massive slap in the face for everyone else in the industry. The players fought hard to have their salary as a % of income, they now need to take their whack when that income reduces. They look incredibly greedy out of all of this.
Pretty sure Scott has already had twenty years of very good to seriously good pay n could probably fudge a couple of months or season without pay. Aside from the premium players, there'd be a fairly large group on moderate salaries with match payments and only been three or four years in the comp. Copping a 50% hit to the pay packet at this stage of career would be fairly devastating.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Pretty sure Scott has already had twenty years of very good to seriously good pay n could probably fudge a couple of months or season without pay. Aside from the premium players, there'd be a fairly large group on moderate salaries with match payments and only been three or four years in the comp. Copping a 50% hit to the pay packet at this stage of career would be fairly devastating.

Unfortunately footy players aren't immune to a decreasing economy and are just like other people. There could have easily been over a hundred thousand people losing their jobs over the last few days, others are having hours cut, many seem like they will move to a 3 or 4 day week so somewhere between a 20 and 40% decrease to pay. Why do footy players seem to think they are immune to that? It matters not if they earn $500k or $100k, likewise it doesn't matter to anyone else in the community to take these short term hits to take home pay.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
My take on the payments to players.
Under $150000 0%
$250-$350 10% loss $25k-35k
$350-$500 15% loss $50k- 75k
$500-$650 20% loss $100- 130k
$650 -$800 30% loss $180- 240k
$800+ 40% loss $320k-+

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
No idea but I'm assuming because they are thinking it could be 18-24 months before normal operations resume.

That makes sense for normal operations.

In terms of health, I believe some researchers are not expecting the crisis to extend beyond a few months, but there’ll be financial implications, renegotiated deals, changed priorities, and a very real health cost to the football industry (what happens if there’s a cluster of deaths?).

It seems the data suggests hospitals will begin to collapse in just under 2 weeks, and the weeks after that will be the worst of the pandemic for Australia. This will be a serious crisis, but there is some optimism from some educated people I trust, and particularly so surrounding unpublished vaccine results and some other data. My concern for a slower recovery surrounds Australia’s ability to access required medical equipment amid competing international demands.

Hope the worst of what you’ve heard doesn’t mean we’re not back to a relatively normal life by August.

Last edited: