Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Both great players but quite different. Jack's a bit more freaky.
Yes I agree, on all counts.

But Jack is a better kick. While freaky, you can kind of...rely on him more, to do it when it absolutely counts. That's not saying Nick wasn't an out and out champion, he was. And he probably stood out more, somehow. But I'd still take Jack.

While Nick did also, it's also Jack's personality, what he brings to the team. The players love him. With Nick it seemed to be this way off the bat, from the coaching staff onwards. Jack had his moments early career, but has evolved now, into being just as vital in this respect.

He speaks really well also, in the media.

When he's done, we have to say he has been one of our best ever.

Reactions: 1 user

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Seemed to have a hand in all of our goals in the last qtr. such a smart player, he was in our top 5 on the ground I thought

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
JR8 is the smartest footballer I have seen in fifty+ years of following the game. I hope his body holds out for a few more seasons. His development over his career is testament to him being a true student of the game. Loves the Tiges as much as Richo... and that's saying plenty. You can't fake the excitement he displayed in tonight's post match interview.
At the AGM after the 2016 season there was some unrest with some groups looking to challenge the board. Some weren’t happy with a change in the constitution wrt board voting. Anyway at the start of the AGM all players introduced including coaching staff for 2017. A couple of tributes to Cotch for Brownlow and lifetime memberships and then players and coaching staff excused as they had training next morning. Balmey stayed and so did Jack until the very end. Voting when asked. Looking around at the members like any other punter. I really saw his commitment to the club that night. Jack is Richmond just like Richo. He is like us, he loves the club and that’s why I will always respect him and love him no matter what. He didn’t have to stay that night, no other player did, but Jack did. Says it all imo.

Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yes I agree, on all counts.

But Jack is a better kick. While freaky, you can kind of...rely on him more, to do it when it absolutely counts. That's not saying Nick wasn't an out and out champion, he was. And he probably stood out more, somehow. But I'd still take Jack.

While Nick did also, it's also Jack's personality, what he brings to the team. The players love him. With Nick it seemed to be this way off the bat, from the coaching staff onwards. Jack had his moments early career, but has evolved now, into being just as vital in this respect.

He speaks really well also, in the media.

When he's done, we have to say he has been one of our best ever.
And if he retired tomorrow he’d be a Premiership player, 3 time AA and triple Coleman medallist, as well as 250+ games, that’s the CV of a bona fide champion.

Reactions: 3 users

Isotopes

Tiger Rookie
Aug 3, 2013
His smarts are not teachable, he's body may slow as he gets older, but the brain wont, it'll get smarter. I think Jack may be around for a while.
His post match interview, WOW, he was on a high like that was the best H&A games he's won.... if their was a stage out their he woulda belted out a tune.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Was influential today but I feel he is still searching for touch.

Lynch took a while after his PCL too.

Yea I don't think that's unfair Baron. As I said I think there's better still to come, with Jack.

But I think we can say he's trending upwards since his return, on the basis of today's game.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
yeah he can play better, and will. But even when down on form his footy smarts are unbeatable.

Reactions: 1 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
And if he retired tomorrow he’d be a Premiership player, 3 time AA and triple Coleman medallist, as well as 250+ games, that’s the CV of a bona fide champion.

Great summary, Carna
My favourite Tiger.
Has been down on form this season but has struggled with a couple of serious injuries.
He was there today when it counted and will be primed just in time for a big September.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Jack may be a bit down ATM but when you see his awareness and vision for someone in a better position you realise just what Jack does for the team and how important he is

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Jack may be a bit down ATM but when you see his awareness and vision for someone in a better position you realise just what Jack does for the team and how important he is
Well okay, but I didn't think he played anything like a 'bad game', so our bar is pretty high here. But the thing is, in this so important game - the game of the year so far etc etc - whatever his overall form might be, it was illustrative I think, that when it all came down to the crunch, there he was again, kicking THE most important goal of the game.

I don't have stats, or whatever. All I know is what I've seen and sensed over time. He does this a LOT, I believe. He wills us over the line.

He's got that Joe Montana thing, somehow. Pretty damn rare.

AND, if he's excited? And he is. I rate our chances v highly, to take it all out. What a season, it would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Whateley just said that the studs up rule is applicable when it's used with the likelihood of causing injury. Screwed by the umpires again.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Whateley just said that the studs up rule is applicable when it's used with the likelihood of causing injury. Screwed by the umpires again.

The rule uses the terms "rough conduct" "which in the circumstances is unreasonable" and "likely to cause injury".

Not guilty on all three counts. A debacle.

Reactions: 1 users